THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    First Left-Hand Winchester Model 70s ??? Allen Day?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Left-Hand Winchester Model 70s ??? Allen Day?
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
I am doing a bit of research for myself and I would like to know:

1.When did Winchester first introduced Model 70s in left hand?

2. When did Winchester first introduced Model 70s in left hand and Stainless Steel? (I saw onl one reference to it in 1997?).

Thanks

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I just receied the Complete Guide To Classic Rifles book- no anwers there either- th book is very superficial.

Anyone have any info or sources to share with me?

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
Have you emailed Winchester? I would try that or look for a Winchester Collectors site, there must be one some where..

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1997 is the first time either one showed up in their catalog. That's also the year I bought my left handed stainless classic (stainless & walnut) in 338

posted Hide Post
CL,

I got my first LH M-70, a .375H&H in May or June of 1997, after waiting about six months.

IIRC, the LH SS/walnut models came out in 1998, but I didn't get mine until 1999.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Ropes- I have not e-mailed Winchester- if they have an e-mail, I will do it tonight.

jbmich- Hmmm...I read the same thing in Blue Book of Gun Values- only listing is in 1997. Frowner

GeorgeS- Seems to all tie together. Thanks a bunch.

Well, I guess that eliminates any Pre-64 Lefties or more vintage Model 70s from my dreamlist bawling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I guess that eliminates any Pre-64 Lefties or more vintage Model 70s from my dreamlist

That is not necessarily true. I have heard of or read where some gunsmiths "converted" actions such as the Pre-64 M70 and the Springfield actions to left hand. IIRC Boddington had one - showed a pic in an article he did on southpaw rifles.

You may find one of those but I am gonna guess they ain't cheap.

posted Hide Post
There are no pre-'64 'factory' lefties; any conversions done on pre-'64s (like CTB's) will eject on the right-hand side, so they are like the Rem. 788s, not a true LH action. The same with Sedgely's Springfield conversions.

Were you looking for something in particular?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know they aren't factory but I do wish I could find that article - was interesting (I'm a righty).

Curious tho - I hae never been nor will ever go hunting anything much over local whitetail, is there a disadvantage to having a "LH" action that spits them to the right? I am trying to think of one if it were reversed and can not think of one (for me)

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
GeorgeS, not looking for anything in particular-but I put the word out, locally, that I am interested in buying left-handed Model 70 rifles and I have received a couple calls on some older, very well worn stuff that apparently dates back to the 50s or 60s- That got my attention.

I would have wanted something like that in very good condition, but these are probably old but very worn 'converted' rifles as Loonie described- not my cup of tea.

Best regards,
CL

Loonie- the potential disadvantage that I see is that you are ejecting a fired shell or live round across your right eye and line of sight. This may lead to possible eye damage or loss of target after firing first shot- also not my cup of tea.

posted Hide Post
Loonie,

While a LBRP (left bolt, right port) action might work well for BR, it's not all that good for field shooting, and loading the magazine.

George

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
I bought my lefty .270 in 1998. A Classic Sporter. I'm pretty sure that was the last year before the Classic Sporter LT with its "David Miller" stock.

RSY

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information. - Edward Abbey

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loonie:
I know they aren't factory but I do wish I could find that article - was interesting (I'm a righty).

Curious tho - I hae never been nor will ever go hunting anything much over local whitetail, is there a disadvantage to having a "LH" action that spits them to the right? I am trying to think of one if it were reversed and can not think of one (for me)

I actually like my 788 with the right hand eject and left hand bolt. Off the bench it is extremely handy and it has a detachable magazine so it doesn't hurt you in the field. Dropping a round on top of the follower isn't hard to do with either hand.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my LH stainless in 300 win mag in 1997 at Walmart. It is for sell. $575

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
My LH M70 walnut & stainles has the BOSS. It is a 30-06. I think mine is a 1998 gun. I hate the look of the BOSS & it is loud as hell but boy does it work! I get 1/2" (3) shot groups @ 100 yards with it on a regular basis.......so I live with the ugliness & noise thumb

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe, your P.M. isn't activated- please P.M. me your e-mail or Ph.#

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure I know how to activate my pm.lol But my email is snowwolfe@gci.net

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought a LH .338 Win Mag on special last year.I think that perhaps the.338 has been discontinued??
Cheers
Allan

Posts: 94 | Location: Chilcotin B.C. | Registered: 05 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe. Winchester still produces a LH 375. But they stopped making all lefthanded stainless. Remington now only offers LH stainless from their custom shop. Sad times for us southpaws.