New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 HCR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Did anyone see the Greg Rodriguez article in one of the shooting mags on the 35 HCR? Apparently, a 358 bullet in a 338 Win Mag case. I don't get all the hoopla in the article; isn't it a quasi 358 Norma Magnum?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, a .358 Norma by another name. I saw that issue as well, thought maybe they had necked down the .375 Ruger (that would have been something to write about). The more I read Rodriguez, the less impressed I come away.

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what is his background? he posts here occasionally, but I do not care for his writing - too much like a blog.

we need a writer with an ability to capture the reader as Capstick once did. please no one flame me on this! the comment is not about the veracity of his writing, but rather on his ability to engage his reader. no current writer does it for me at all.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
coffee

358 Norma always did do a good job, dont know why hill country rifles thought they found somthing novel.

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
he's one of the big dogs from some Hunt Brokerage Firm in Texas. I guess he figured if he could write ad copy he could do anything. When I write something, it's like I went out and had a great time; then had to do a written report to the adults. Not very disciplined or organized, more of a situation where I would sit down at the computer and the story just runs out of my brain, thru my fingers, and onto the screen. Most of the good writers are vastly better at that "stream of consciousness..." school of writing. The downside: when you have to figure out a way to tell people it is possible to pick up a turd by the "clean end". That was my downfall, not being able to fabricate a product review on command.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what the HCR stands for?
I have an idea but would like to know for sure.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
35 Hill Country Rifle

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Guys,

If you read my column, you should have seen that I wrote that .35 HCR and .358 Norma were basically the same. I prefer the .35 HCR because I have tons of .338 Win. Mag. brass and because the three .358 Norma's I've played with over the years were very finicky. It was much easier to get really accurate loads for me with the .35 HCR than with the Norma mag.

As to my writing, well, you are entitled to your opinions. However, in defense of all the current crop of writers who are criticized and compared to the great writers of days gone by, the state of today's top magazines has nothing to do with the writers. Pages have been cut from 120+ to 60-70-ish pages, and feature length has been cut from 3,500 words or more to 1,500-2,000 words today. Try writing enough purple prose to make every gun review sing AND cover all the technical aspects of the gun in a piece short enough to be read in one brief trip to the throne room. It ain't easy.

Gun magazines only want straight gun stories these days. I really doubt we will ever see a great Me-and-Joe story in a gun magazine again. For adventure stories, stick to the hunting mags. You will rarely see a product mention in any of my adventure stories except in a sidebar, where I round up all the gear I use.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Don,t ya just love the critics ..... How were your 358 Norma,s finicky . ???? I,ve enjoyed a number of your articles , especially on fur hunting with the AR .......The only thing I disliked about the new CZ Express is the rear sight base isn,t integral ..... And it,s not in a synthetic stock ..Or made from stainless ... But otherwise it looks like a nice rifle ..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
Don,t ya just love the critics ..... How were your 358 Norma,s finicky . ???? I,ve enjoyed a number of your articles , especially on fur hunting with the AR .......The only thing I disliked about the new CZ Express is the rear sight base isn,t integral ..... And it,s not in a synthetic stock ..Or made from stainless ... But otherwise it looks like a nice rifle ..

The criticism comes with the territory. I appreciate the kind words on my articles because I really work my tail off to write thorough, honest reviews.

An integral rear sight base would be great, but I imagine it would add a buck or two to the price. But if I'm not mistaken (I've shot them but never tested one), the safari magnum rifles do have integral bases.

Greg Rodriguez
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Yes the Brno 602 and the CZ 550 Saferi Mag all have the integral rear sight base and front stock bolt hanger slide /2nd recoil lug abutment ... With the banded front sight it is a good set up that won,t fall or break off ..... Now all we need is an integral sling eye 2 or 3 inches in front of the foreend tip and we'll be in tall cotton ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greg,

No need to consider what I wrote criticism; in fact, none was made at all. I merely offered my opinion of your writing as it strikes me. That is hardly criticism. Frankly, I don't care for Mr. Boddington's writing too much either; I simply said a lot of the writiers today come across as rather utilitarian. If the parameters of your publisher create that environment then so be it, the stylizings are just not my cup of tea.

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg R ----- I for one like your articles. I really would like to see a good article on the .358 STA. My son and I have been shooting a couple of customs for some years now and I think it is about perfect for the bigger and more dangerous stuff in North America, and the plains game of Africa. Bullets from 185 grains up to 310 grains make it very versital. We have taken several Elk, and I took a Kongoni, Impala and Zebra with one in the Selous. Coupled with North Fork bullets (which would be another good article) it is truly a formidable round. I have recovered North Forks from Cape Buffalo (.416 Rem), Elk and Kongoni. Good luck with your writing. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2350 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Phurley,

Thanks for the kind words. I like the .358 STA, but am on to other projects right now. It might be a while before I do much experimenting with .35s, though I sure do like them.

Jeff,

I was not offended by your or anyone else's comments. If we all liked the same thing, the world would be a boring place. I don't think it's reasonable to expect everyone to like my writing.

Greg Rodriguez
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

One of Us
posted Hide Post
goodie. we can all remain friends.