New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 Mountian LSS Accuracy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm picking up a Remington 700 Mountain LSS in 7MM-08 this weekend. I plan to mount a 3-9X40 Burris Fullfield II w/ Ballistic Plex reticle on her. I also plan to have the action glass bedded and will probably replace the trigger with a 1-1/2 lb to 4 lb Timney.

I'm a little concerned with the light weight taper barrel, but with the scope, glass bedding and replacement trigger, I would hope to achieve sum MOA performance out of this rifle / caliber.

Anyone got first hand experience with the Mountian LSS? I was wandering what level of accuracy I can expect from this set up?

firstshot
----------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
FS, With the right bullets and powder or factory loads you should've no problem getting sub minute groups, as I've said before in other posts, just allow for barrel cooling with the skinny barrels(2-3min. between shots). I like 150 Ballistic tips loaded with 39.5grs. of Varget, Rem brass and primers. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an observation in the field. If you need more shots, you need them PDQ. I like to practice tap-taps(rapid two shots) to test a gun for hunting. Allowing a hunting gun to cool between shots is unrealistic. Two rapid shots into an inch off of bags is informative. If you can do it from any sort of a field position, it's spectacular.

I wouldn't replace the trigger right away, you may only incur an extra expense by doing so. Rem triggers are OK. The money would be better spent on load development.

My assumtion is that you aren't buying a lightweight rifle to get the best accuracy, but to have less to carry. The sub MOA thing is overrated anyway for 95% of field use. MOA used to be based on ten shot groups, then five, now three... You really need the first shot very badly. A ten shot group probably needs a heavy barrel.What are you planning to use the rifle for?
Paul

Posts: 77 | Location: Pulaski, WI | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gun will be used primarilly for hunting deer, hogs & bear in NW Arknasas. I do however practice at lot at the range and do enjoy trying to get the most out of my gun and my handloads.

firstshot
--------------------------

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FS, The gun should do fine if you do all the things to it that you plan!!!! The one thing I wouldn't waste my money on is the trigger!!! I've done 2 factory Remington triggers down to 24 oz. this week and you can slam them all day long and they won't trip!!! Another rifle I saw this week had a factory REMINGTON trigger that breaks at 15oz EVERYTIME on the guage and it won't slam fire!!!(I didn't do that one but would have liked to have been there and observed!!!)
As far as accurracy goes when choosing light or heavy barrels for a hunting rifle.......First shot is the one that matters!!! They both will perform equally!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
As others have mentioned, would not replace the Rem. trigger for in reality it is a damn fine trigger if adjusted by someone with knowledge and experience and they are reliable. I have used them for years as well as Jewells on Remingtons and find the extra money spent on replacement triggers was not necessary at all.

I have found it rare that I shot more than 3 times at game and recovered what I was shooting at under those circumstances. In any case, unless the game is "way out there..." that second or third shot, which is supposedly distorting accuracy will not be the reason you miss, but rather the "trigger puller..." will most likely be the reason. Usually by the time you get off the third shot, the ol boy has done went over the ridge and into the next county.

Rifle you are talking about will deliver outstanding hunting accuracy as delivered. Have the trigger adjusted if you feel it needs it and you will be pleased with the results.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, Remington Lam Stainless Mountain Rifle in 260 with the trigger tunned by self, no other changes, 3shots into 3/4 of an inch at one hundered yards with hand loads.
Some few months ago I was in contact with an ex US police sniper, he told me that the Rem 700 action should be torqued down to 60 inch pounds for reliable accuracy. We have no tools to do such a bedding here in NZ but you may be able to get one. Good luck with yours but it should shoot ok without too much modification

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a Rem.700 LSS Mtn. rifle in 270Win. - stock/out of the box, no changes made to it.
I use factory ammo, no handloads. When I do my part it shoots approx. 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" groups
for 4-5rounds @ 100yds. There are a couple times I've gotten 1" or slightly less from her
(using Fed.Premium 150gr. Nosler Partition).

Heck, it's a deer rifle. I don't need 1" or less
accuracy. Deer are pretty big targets, even at
200+ yds.
If you want to make any modifications I'd suggest you start off with an adjustment to the
factory trigger, and that's all. See how it goes from there. Modify further only if needed.
Remember, if it ain't broke - don't fix it!

Posts: 60 | Location: SW Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Oldun
Not sure if your rifle has the allen head action screws or not, but believe they do. If that is the case and you are lacking a torque wrench, take your allen wrench, short end in hand, long end in head of screw, and tighten as much as you can. Do the front screw first and then the rear one. After tightening with the short end, now apply approx. 1/4 turn with the long end and you will have pretty well duplicated the magic 60 figure you are trying to reach. Same pattern, front screw first and then the second. Not perfect but the key is having both screws at the same level of torque for solid bedding of weapon action.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

PS As a precaution, take a paint pen, white, red, whatever, and mark the screw heads w/ small dot showing position of screws and if they appear to be off the mark, you can quickly re torque.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies and advice. Sounds like I should shoot it out of the box first and then see what needs to be done.....if anything.

Thanks
firstshot
--------------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a post I have posted about a load in mine, it is nice,,,shoots the 139 grain SSTs just as well.

I like to use a 10 shot group as a test when I think I have a round just right,

2 shots from a cold barrel then an hour or the next day later 2 more shots till 10 have been shot at the same target. Only cleaning involved is a pull of a dry bore snake between every 2 shots, the gun was left out in the cold the whole time, "storage shed"

for 120 grain 7mm Ballistic tip
7mm-08 cal
45 grains Varget,
CCI 200 primer,
Average of first 8 shots 2985fps with a spread of 22fps
My 10 shot and three day group was 1.4 moa. Most 2 shot groups were .5 moa or much less, couple of one holers. and the outside temp ranged from 20-56 degrees. I am one happy camper I had to set the 120s real close to the lands to get tight groups, closer than any other bullet I have tried in this gun. This was shot from sandbags on a bench and I expect this group would be 3moa or so in the field.

Rifle is a Remington Mnt rifle 7mm-08 laminated stainless and a 1.5X6 Burris signiture scope with warne rings, I bedded and floated it 200 shots or so ago. I have it set 1.5 inches high at 100, rare for a 250 yard shot around here.

Location Western NC,,, via alot of other places,
One wife
Two kids
Three Glocks
and a couple cats.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by First Shot:
Thanks for all the replies and advice. Sounds like I should shoot it out of the box first and then see what needs to be done.....if anything. ...
Absolutely!

The last few Remington triggers I messed with had a noticably heaver internal spring, but as usual they were all adjusted to provide a creep free trigger.

The post above about putting "Witness Marks" on the stock screws is an excellent one. Doing it with paint is also a good idea until you know for sure the screws are at a tension level that shoots well. At that point, I place a small mark ( - - ) on the screw and one on it's retainer so they can't accidentally be removed.

Also agree with the thin barrel being shot slowly. They get hot rapidly and continual shooting of a "hot" barrel is almost the worst thing you can do to it. I take a good old 22 rimfire to mess with Off-Hand while the barrels cool.

Oh yes, be sure to "Clean the Barrel" before you go to the range. It will have residue in it from the Proof Test and sometimes they put a bit of Lube over it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi desiteman,
Thanks for the information about the 700 action. Yes the Mountain rifle does have allen head action screws. It looks like a vey good way of consitently bedding the action.
Cheers.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote