New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoem mead spears for fish
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am in the Coast Guard on the Mississippi river and we have an invasion of Asian Carp. They are destroying native species. I made a "MOBY DICK" type spear point and mounted it on a boat pole. I works good. The first fish I nailed was nearly cut in half. It was dead in seconds. This is good for asian carp but we tried to hit some gar with it and only suceeded in rolling them not connecting. Does anyone have a better spaer design for smaller fish? thanks-MOE

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Take a run up to your local dive shop and get a five prong head. You know, the one that looks like Poseidon's spear.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Oldsarge is right - for bigger carp and gar you need multiple smaller points. My fish spear has 7 points - look at the kinds of spears used for spearing through the ice. You might also need to hit them a little from behind to slide the tips under the edges of the scales. I've bounced spears off lots of armored fish! It'll roll them, but not grab unless you hit them right.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thats why i use a bow a 100 pound compound will blow through any fish on this planet

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Asian and bighead carp are really becoming a problem. My first love in the outdoors in bowfishing, I am an avid member of a number of different clubs and I travel all around the US fishing tournaments. This year we organized a new club called NABS (North American Bowfishing Society) we organized this club for the sole purpose of ridding the waters of non-native species (common carp, grass carp, bigheads, asian carp, talapia) Next year we are going to have a month long tournament that will have a great payout for the team that rids lakes of these trash fish. NABS is all about the conservation side of bowfishing but in no means are we against the shooting of gar and buffalo (fish that are native to our waters). If any of you are interested in bowfishing just let me know and I can send you in the right direction.

Josh

Posts: 25 | Location: Southeastern Oklahoma | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Josh, what kind of reel do you recommend, I have a muzzy fishing arrow but no reel and would appreciate input from someone in the know. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get you a muzzy reel seat and then get a shakes peare Ti20 (i think thats the number, it the biggest closed face they make) and some 150lb power pro line. After that you'll be set up. Oh yeah buy you reel at walmart and save the receipt so you can take it back when it breaks and it will break. Stay away from the retievers IMO they are extremely slow and pretty much are worthless in my book.

Posts: 25 | Location: Southeastern Oklahoma | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, will look into the reel next time I am in Wallmart..