New
Find
Notify
Tools

SASHA SIEMEL TIGERMAN
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think Sasha is the greatest spear hunter..I first read about him in a Peter Capstick book years ago...he prefered the spear instead of a gun...ever hear of him before?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasha_Siemel

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW! It looks like I have some reading to do.
Time to sharpen my Cold Steel spear, too.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very good book. He was a brave guy!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Do a search. He has been discussed many times, especially on the S. Am . board I believe.

Have you seen this?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackbearhunter:
I think Sasha is the greatest spear hunter..I first read about him in a Peter Capstick book years ago...he prefered the spear instead of a gun...ever hear of him before?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasha_Siemel

I have to disagree. He killed several dozen Jaguars, but only about a dozen(IIRC) of them were taken by spear. Big deal....
Roll Eyes

Just kidding of course!

That guy was a man apart. I can't imagine a more fearless hunter.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, from what I am reading, he would get the cat to charge him, and the cat would impale itself on the spear. I've heard of that method before. I also saw dogs in lots of the pics, so I am guessing he used the dogs to trail and corner the cat.
I'm not sure this is more impressive than the American who is killing whitetail deer with a spear down south. Granted a hell of a lot more dangerous. But I think getting a whitetail to come right under your tree stand and nail him without being detected might be a lot harder than following the dogs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You cannot compare spearing a deer with spearing a jaguar. You must be kidding Big Grin

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
You cannot compare spearing a deer with spearing a jaguar. You must be kidding Big Grin

All I'm saying is that I think getting into spear range for a whitetail is about 100 times harder than following dogs after a cat.
At that distance I have to control my blinking and my breathing. I have to be in a position that is comfortable enough to not move at all for 10 minutes or so. Holding your arms up for that amount of time will give the shakes bad enough to be seen by a deer. And of course the wind absolutely must be in your favor.
These things are of no concern following dogs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that may very well be the worst apples to oranges comparison I've ever heard....

I met Sasha in 1959/60 in Birmingham Al. I watched his home movies of killing jaguar with a spear, no rifle backup. I talked with him after the event and shook his hand. Remember it like it was yesterday...

The jaguar killing was absolutely unbelievable in its ferocity and raw power, man and cat. Sasha was an amazing man.

troy

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, It is much easier to stick a jaguar with a spear than a deer.

The jaguar will run toward the spear... Big Grin

I said easier, not safer... Eeker

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stud. I read his book years ago. Strangely, none of the Brazilian Officers I've known knew anything about him. I would've thought he would be a national hero, especially considering the culture. He was also a champion wrestler/fighter and as mentioned above, he toured the US making presentations of his hunts.

Posts: 40 | Location: Back in the USAAAA!!!!! | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackbearhunter:
[FLASH_VIDEO]

Amazing !!! sadly too much short...thanks for sharing it!!!. G

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
My tribute to Him. G

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I read once that the most dangerous part of spearing cats is keeping them from sliding down the spear getting close enough to get at you.
I read Tigrero as a kid. Need to get that one again!

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted Hide Post

Posts: 130 | Location: South America | Registered: 26 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I have an original copy of his book...amazing....

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
His nephew or great nephew is a member here on AR.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
His book is a good read.

He actualy stated in his book, he felt safer hunting them with a spear vs a rifle.

If I remember correctly he used a Mod 94 Winchester in 44-40.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Tony that would have been a 92 in .44 WCF.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted Hide Post

Posts: 130 | Location: South America | Registered: 26 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a guy, I wish I had met him.

Posts: 142 | Location: Hidalgo, Texas /Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: 12 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, you are correct, my bad typo, it was a Mod 1892, in 44/40, 44WCF.

In his book "Tigrero!" there are some pictures of him spearing a Jaguar.

His book is a good read.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reiter,

Thanks, that was a great link.

One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted Hide Post
I´ll try to get the full documentary. Rare footage !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In his book "Tigrero!" there are some pictures of him spearing a Jaguar.

Great.
Can you post some photos...

In the moment I work at an article about him in an german gun/hunting Magazine...

Best wishes.

Bock

Something to add:
he was an great fighter (boxer and wrestler) too and he had an good record.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
I have an original copy of his book...amazing....

and it inspired me to hunt wild boar with a spear....jaguar no thanks...oh and make sure you have a cross bar on your spear so the animal cannot slip up the shaft...trust me

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
So, from what I am reading, he would get the cat to charge him, and the cat would impale itself on the spear. I've heard of that method before. I also saw dogs in lots of the pics, so I am guessing he used the dogs to trail and corner the cat.
I'm not sure this is more impressive than the American who is killing whitetail deer with a spear down south. Granted a hell of a lot more dangerous. But I think getting a whitetail to come right under your tree stand and nail him without being detected might be a lot harder than following the dogs.

I have to disagree strongly. I use to be a hound hunter and it is the physicaly hardest type of hunting you can do.
Imagine following hounds through the jungle and trying to get to a bayed jaguar before he kills your dogs. This would be physically demanding to say the least. Then after arriving at the melee, despite being exhausted, you take on a jaquar with a spear.
Or
You walk to your tree stand before light, at first light a deer walks under your stand. You throw the spear straight down and kill the deer.

The difference is stark.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First, I'll admit I have never hound hunted.
But for me, running 5 miles a day is normal, or at it was. Running 35 or 40 miles a week was normal along with the biking, martial arts, and gun training. Chasing dogs for miles would be fun for me.
Now, I am involved in the stone-age skills community. Touching, or running down, a wild deer is considered the benchmark for hunting skills. My friend Hugh was talking about touching his first deer. He had dug himself into a cedar tree where he knew the deer would come through.
So how long did you wait there?
"Oh, I don't know. But I knew the deer would come through that spot."
But how long did you wait?
"Oh, I'm not sure."
But how long do you think you stayed there waiting?
"Oh, I guess it was 5 hours or so."

Maybe it is a matter of perspective. The longest I have ever stayed on a deer stand was 2.5 hours, it was pretty awful.

quote:
Originally posted by HippoHunter:
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:

I have to disagree strongly. I use to be a hound hunter and it is the physicaly hardest type of hunting you can do.
Imagine following hounds through the jungle and trying to get to a bayed jaguar before he kills your dogs. This would be physically demanding to say the least. Then after arriving at the melee, despite being exhausted, you take on a jaquar with a spear.
Or
You walk to your tree stand before light, at first light a deer walks under your stand. You throw the spear straight down and kill the deer.

The difference is stark.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is just sad that many believe hunting with hounds is easy or not sporting. Not that, this is what you believe. Actually you sound like the type of guy that would enjoy a good hound hunt. Besides a guy with 4570 in his name, can't be too bad. :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chasing a large Wild Cat at his pace behind a pack of hounds and THEN killing it with a Blade(Spear), is about as "sporting" as it gets, IMHO.

One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted Hide Post