New
Find
Notify
Tools

What can I dehydrate?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need some ideas on what I can dehydrate at home, and then make meals out of on a camping trip?

I figure I can use rice, mashed potatoes, and maybe some kind of noodles.

But I am looking for things to make the meal.

Thanks

Live every day like it was your last, because someday it will be!!!

Posts: 140 | Location: N. E. Ohio | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NavyVet
posted Hide Post
I've been reading quite a bit about this lately. One thing that I see repeatedly is ground beef. Cook up ground beef, then dehydrate it and you have one of the most versatile ingredients for a dehydrated meal. I wondered how do people dehydrate spaghetti sauce and stews. Well, there are lots of instructions on the internet about using tight weaved inserts for your dehydrator and also instructions on using your oven. I'm in the experimental stages using my oven. I hope to have things perfected by spring break because that's when my daughter and I are doing our big camping trip.

NRA life member, thanks to Steve. Smiler

Running on empty...

Posts: 250 | Location: God's Country | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
keep me posted PLEASE

Live every day like it was your last, because someday it will be!!!

Posts: 140 | Location: N. E. Ohio | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Instead of trying to dehydrate those three things why don't you just use minute rice, potato flakes and some kind of quick cook noodles?

www.backpackinglight.com

www.backpacking.net

Join these forums and get plenty of ideas. Also remember that you want things with a good calorie to weight ratio. Peanut butter and olive oil are good for that.

I'll go through my favorites and see what I have in there to help you out.

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Axel on this. Use the food thats already dehydrated. I use our dehydrator for making jerky (just put strips of meat in there raw). It works great for vegtables also. Squash chips are great and you can season them any way you like. I'm still new at the dehydrating but in the fall we put up a lot of produce by dehydrating.

Posts: 197 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote