New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jetboil
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm thinking about about getting one of these.

Anybody out there have experience with these?

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These things are very handy. Easy to operate, safe to run in a tent (no flare ups), and relatively fast to boil water. Fairly compact and the perfect companion to freeze dried meals & hot cocoa.
I think a Primus omnifuel or one of the MSR's (dragonfly or xgk) with white gas are better at cooking in a larger pot, especially when cooking meat. But for boiling water for meals or drink, the jetboil is very good. It would be better if the cup held 5 cups of water. Then you could heat enough water for 2 meals.
You are tied to the butane/propane canisters, but they are more available than in the past.
If you get one, also buy the pot stabilizer legs. They are needed when the small canisters are used.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used one for a couple of years now. As mentioned above, they are great if all you need to do is boil water. They do lack in the simmering department. They now have a larger pot to use with them which again is fine for boiling water, but the heat isn't very even across the bottom of the pot. For fancier cooking, you are better off with the MSR products.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys! The jetboil looks like an excellent water boiling and snow melting machine (but it doesn't look ideal for COOKING to me).

Maybe they'll make some modifications to it that will make it more suitable for simmering, frying, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MSR Dragonfly or XGK Expedition the way to go?! bewildered

$10 difference in price.

posted Hide Post
I have one, and all the pots. I use it all the time. For coffee, tea, hot chocolate, the cup is fast and easy. Even in the car. The 1.5 l pot is much slower to heat water.
I make alot of ramen in the 1.5 l.
Lighting them is so fast and easy (self contained) no matches required. In a storm last month at 12,000, I made soup, and coffee, as I figured out what to do next. No issues with ignition.
There's a reason they're a best buy.
At base camp, I prefer a 3 burner coleman, converted to propane.

Posts: 15 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 23 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lighting them is so fast and easy (self contained) no matches required. In a storm last month at 12,000, I made soup, and coffee, as I figured out what to do next.

The altitude issue was one of my concerns. I was told that 10,000 ft. was about the threshold were the Jetboil would boil water/snow. This is probably because the butane fuel freezes up. Solution would probably be to keep the butane canister inside parka or sleeping bag.

posted Hide Post
I use the jetboil, MSR drogonfly and Primus stoves.

The jetboil is great for boiling, can be unstable with large pots without the base or using some rocks around the sides for supports (just in case), just about idiot proof, and will use any of the screw in type gas cylinders in a pinch.

The MSR dragonfly is my stove of choice for cooking. Efficient, starts well, and you can control the heat level well beyond on and off!

The Primus stoves (multi-fuel) family is a great choice, similiar to the MSR gear. You can also use multiple liquid fuels (i.e. kerosene). The MSR multi-fuel is not a winner with Kerosene (starts then sputters and your SOL).

The jetboils are pricey with the stand, but well worth the weight/simplicity. I tend to grab the dragonfly or my Primus with whitegas cannister when we hit it.

For base camp we boil 5 liter kettles on the dragonfly, no problem with stability, and it heats fast.

Posts: 23 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 04 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I broke down and bought the MSR Dragonfly. I LOVE IT!

I plan to use it almost exclusively with white gas. But it's nice to know it will use unleaded, diesel and kerosene in a pinch.

m2fun, does the Dragonfly sputter using kerosene even with the (DK) kerosene jet installed?

Same sputtering problems when using diesel?

The Dragonfly is an "excellent" cooking stove! Extremely adjustable for anything from melting butter to high-temp use.

I've got an old Roberts Mark III that I use strictly for boiling water/melting snow duties. I like it alot..... compact and simple...but I might consider a jetboil in the future.