New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hiking Boots that Breathe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My feet sweat bad and I am having problems finding a hiking boot that does not have Gortex and lets my feet breathe while hiking in hot weather. This summer has been particularly hot and the all leather Rocky boots (without Gortex) are causing blisters and swelling of the feet and tendon issues. I have tried changing socks, Fox River wick-a-way socks, spraying my feet with anti-perspirant, everything to keep my feet dry
but am still having problems. This is seriously affecting my long distant hiking. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

WLA

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
I'm not a true backpack hunter, so take my experience with a grain of salt, but I did buy a pair of Vasque mesh-side hiking boots a few years ago and they do seem to provide some ventilation. I asked for the coolest, narrow-running boot at one of the Whole Earth stores and the Vasque is what the kid recommended. I haven't done very long hikes in them, but I have hunted doves in central/south Texas with them, walking all over looking for a few birds and have remained relatively comfortable.

'Hope this helps. Good luck in your search.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WLA:
My feet sweat bad and I am having problems finding a hiking boot that does not have Gortex and lets my feet breathe while hiking in hot weather. This summer has been particularly hot and the all leather Rocky boots (without Gortex) are causing blisters and swelling of the feet and tendon issues. I have tried changing socks, Fox River wick-a-way socks, spraying my feet with anti-perspirant, everything to keep my feet dry
but am still having problems. This is seriously affecting my long distant hiking. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

WLA

I've got the same sweaty feet problem.

I've got a pair of the Belleville 610 hot weather boots and like them a lot.

Belleville is the current supplier of US military issue boots and they make a pretty high quality product. I got mine through military clothing sales, but you can order them on the internet.

BTW, I found out that the military sales outlet was about the same price as ordering online.

Here's the Belleville Hot Weather Boot lineup

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand the Meindl Army Desert Boot and the Danish Army Desert Boot, both made using suede and sort sort of man made fibre, 'breathable' sections are very comfortable.

Silvermanns in London sell them. The company is on the web.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I found Courtenay Patrols very comfortable in Africa and, with a reasonably grippy sole, they might work for you. They have high tops but not the stiff ankle support mountain boots have, of course.

Posts: 4972 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a pair of the genuine Mil issue desert boots, brand new from a pawn shop for $20 and it might have been the best 20 I ever spent. I wear them more than any other boot I have now and I have a LOT of boots. My feet sweat a lot also, but with THORLO hiking(all synthetic) socks and the GI boots, my feet stay dry, the side drains probably help and with a couple coats of silicone waterproofing, they stay pretty good even in the rain. Just get the real ones and not the "almost the same" civilian version. Best place to buy them is a pawn shop near a military base.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk to your Dr. about the excessive sweating. My Dr. prescribed a liquid antiperspirant that is applied with an applicator. Works well for me. He also mentioned that if that didn't work that there are injections into the skin that will work. I think it is Botox.

Posts: 33 | Location: central PA | Registered: 21 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on Thorlo socks. They are comfortable and wear very good. The life you get out of them makes the extra cost a bargain. I like my Whites (the folks that make the smokejumpers) hiking boots and they don't give me a problem in hot weather--I dont have an excessive sweat problem.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lowa Zephyr desert boots, great hiking boots built without gore-tex for exactly this purpose.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi,
My tip wholud be Lundhags. They are made from leather and breathe fine. Take a look at the webpage, www.lundhags.se. They support very well with a heavy backpack and the leather is great quality.
I have worne out a couple of these.

10,75Mauser

Posts: 18 | Location: East-Norway | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Give www.haix-bootstore.com a try and check out the Airpower Jungle boot. You'll find them under their clearance page and on sale for $99. I haven't used Haix boots before but they have a pretty solid reputation. Good Luck.

Iceman

Posts: 21 | Location: Canadian Rockies | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote