New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby vs Kimber
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in 270 Win with Talleys and a 2.5x10 VXIII.I'm thinking of a Mtn Goat hunt hunt next year in S.E. Alaska.Would this be a good choice?OR I'm thinking about a Kimber Montana in 300WSM or 270 WSM with Swarovski A Line TDS 2x10x42 in Talley lightweights.My weatherby is around 7 lbs.ready to hunt.Do you think the extra power of the 300 is needed for goats and their toughness or need to anchor them due to harsh terrain.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 270 will do just fine. I would get another rifle for a backup if your going into what can be rough country. I would NEVER go to Alaska with just one rifle.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What 30378 said is good advice and I agree. Keep the .270 and buy the Kimber Montana in the .300WSM and you will have a great hunting package.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
.. Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in 270 Win with Talleys and a 2.5x10 VXIII..7lb ready....

Sounds perfect to me , dont change a thing! just add 140accubond.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
If I was starting from scratch, I'd be buying a Kimber Montana stainless/synth in 270 WSM.

That said, there are no flies on the rig you already have. I'd save the money on a new rifle and use it to go huntin'.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who do ya think is gonna haul your second rifle up the mountain? You? The guides? The guides won't do it. Do I make my point? Ya only need 1 rifle - the .270 Win. that you have is fine. Work up an accurate load with a quality bullet, practice, practice, practice then go huntin'.
My .270 Win is my "go to" rifle for sheep & ccaribou. It does just fine. Ya don't need another rifle for what you're talking about.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was only thinking of taking one rifle.I just was't sure if it was going to be my present one or a new one.I've carried back up rifles before on Elk hunts,on horseback and I think they are unnessary and cumbersome.

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
The 270 will definitley do the job with the right bullet and bullet placement. When hunting goats or bears I use the Federal Premium 150 grain Nosler Partitions, if you reload you can go with a 160 grain NP.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input.Does anyone think the blued receiver on my Weatherby will have a problem rusting in the salt air of S.E. Alaska.I have other all stainless guns M70 7MM and 338WM controlled feed.They just are'nt near as light or handy in the mountians.

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is another issue. It all depends on the weather and how well you can take care of it. I tore up a Weatherby Mark V 270 Win on a sheep hunt one year but it rained non-stop, we were never completely dry nor was our gear. Those kinds of conditions make it very hard to keep a blued gun from rusting, waxed or not. Its possible but if you experience a wet sheep hunt, I would venture to say you will no doubt have some rust on the gun by the time all is said and done.Then again it doesn't always rain non-stop just depends on mother nature. I take stainless guns only into the mountains for extended periods anymore just sickens me to worry about rusting.

Posts: 170 | Location: Interior Alaska | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
You could always send your rifle to Walter E Birdsong and have the Black T finish put on it. I'm sending mine out next week and my worries of rust on my buled rifles will be over.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That may very well be an option.Does it get applied to the inside of the action also?

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I have a weatherby ultralight in 257 Weatherby...I love the rifle and hunt with it quite a bit. Having said that...there are two issues I continue to have with the rifle. First is rust. For some reason the bolt on my rifle will rust overnight in damp weather. Nothing else on the rifle will give me problems but the bolt. I had a similar problem with my Accumark...even sent that one back to the factory to have them take a look at the thing and was told nothing was wrong. Anyhow in damp weather make sure to keep your gun wiped down with an oil cloth and you should avoid any problems. A more serious issue with Weatherby rifles has happende to me twice. As you know, the bolt release on a Mark 5 is the trigger....hold the trigger back and slide the bolt out of the reciever. Well in very cold weather...like sub zero...I have taken a shot and had the bolt come out of the action when I was cycling another round. The plunger assembly that holds the bolt got stuck when the shot was fired. Once again...not a big deal provided you are ready for it...but it can be a pain in the ass. For this reason I will not use the weatherby in extreme weather conditions.

Use this for what it is worth! I still thing they are great rifles!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I don't know for sure, he did tell me to send all the metal less the scope, even the screws. They coat the bolt shroud, firing pin, spring, etc etc. Cost is $198 plus shipping. I can't wait to get my 270 coated since thats the rifle I use the most and it takes the most abuse.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
also look at metalife.com which is a matte finish hard chrome. Sort of looks like a matte brushed finish stainless color. I have it on my M77 35 Whelen and like it better than the Black T finish on my MGA 375 H&H rifle. I had the 35 Whelen on a hunt in Newfoundland where it rained almost every day for 7 days and there was no sign of rust at all.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say that any of the Teflon bake on coatings would be the way to go, IMO you either do it before your hunt or after your hunt when theres rust. Sheep hunting in Alaska when the weather is bad (which is about 75% of the time) the imagination that you will have a dry place to wipe your gun down and keep it from dampness, is just that an imagination. It doesn't work in the real world of sheep hunting about 75% of the time. I had one rifle done in what the call up here ArcticKote and yes the inside of the action is done as well as the small parts, that gun was wet for several days out of 7 and never got a hint of rust on it and it was a blued gun prior to the arctickote.

Posts: 170 | Location: Interior Alaska | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Ever try sitting in the tent to dry your rifle, it actually works pretty good. On the Black T, if you give Walter a call he will explain the whole process to you. I called him about 2 weeks ago and he explained it all to me and it's a very thorough process but my memory fails me about coating the inside of the action. He does work for the Navy and the FBI, that should say something about his work.

"We band of 45-70'ers"