Find
Notify
Tools

sleeping bags
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted
In my never ending quest to find a warm, light, reasonably priced, three season sleeping bag ( I know that is alot to ask).

I came across the REI Sub Kilo bag. It is a down bag filled with 750 goose down. It weighs 2 lbs. It costs 250.00.

It sounds good, but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it.

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went in to REI looking to buy one of their down bags a year or two ago and was fortunate enough to get a really good salesman. First thing he pointed out was shoulder girth--in the REI bags, it's tight (one way to make a bag lightweight), so check that against other bags and make sure to try it out in the store. I'm 6'2" 205 and the REI bags were too tight for me.

Second thing he suggested I do was weigh the bag in its stuff sack. It was heavier than advertised.

I ended up getting a Marmot Helium, which cost more but had 6" more shoulder girth IIRC, and weighed exactly as advertised.

"No one but he who has partaken thereof can understand the keen delight of hunting in lonely lands."

Posts: 59 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Can´t say anything about the REI, but concerning a warm, light, reasonably priced sleeping bag I bought the Columbia 0 degree Fahrenheit Elk Meadows Mummy sleeping bag ; paid some 70 dollars for it ... haven´t tested it intensively yet, but so far it seems just what I need for my winter hunts thumb

Its warm, comfortable, roomy and rather light - but quite bulky, even when compressed... a very good option in cold weather conditions where space is not mandatory

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im particular when it comes to sleepbags and continually research them.
Some of the finest units available now are from EXPED. Their method and quality of construction is about the best I have found/around.
They are available in both light weight and weldedseam versions which are still have resonably light outer fabric compared to the MountainHardwear seam sealed bags.( I believe MH got their welding technology from Exped)
MY Favourite Exped bag is the non seam sealed SWAN:740gram fill(750Loft)
For your 3 season work you may like to look at their Hummingbird or Ibis model.
Prices are good, see here:
http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/28459/

Exped Outlets

Be wary of loft ratings, a number of US made bags try to impress folk with high loft numbers of 800-850, when in fact they loft no more or even less, than a lower number bag that is measured by another more reliable sytem like the LORCH fillpower meter(internationally recognised).

Good coffee HERE.

Sleep Mats...Thermarests foam filled have been good , but EXPED down filled mats, are by far the pick of the bunch these days, why? cause;
1./they offer superior thermal efficiency,
2./ compress easier and thinner,
3./ are lighter.
>>>>AllRound WinneR!<<<< thumb

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I can't say that I spend any time looking for a new bag. I bought a Wiggy's bag a couple years ago and found it to be incredible for the weight.

Just another option with known quality. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
iF yOU DON´T WANT TO WASTE MONEY; BUY AN wESTERN mOUNTAINEERING; everything but not cheap, but it´s a perfect piece of gear, especially the dryloft edition. I have mine for about 15 years now, and it is still in a very good condition...

If it´´s to expensive, there are some Yeti Exner (German company ) to buy from. Have a look at www.gecko-climbing.de for example. Nice and lightweight bags. I use the VIB 250 as a summer bag and I am satisfied too, but it is not a WM bag...!!!

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sherpi
posted Hide Post
I have a marmot "never winter" -1 °C. I use it as a summer bag here in Iceland. It has good sholder with and is a joy to sleep in. The hood is well shaped and comfy. It is under 900 grams. I bought it because a read a positive review in "Rock and Ice" magazine regarding shoulder with and I very happy with it.

Sauer and Zeiss, perfect match.
Sherpi

Posts: 134 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest you try to track down a second hand Neve made made ny the New Zealand manfacturing, Macpac. Unfortunately they recently stopped making the Neve, however I reckon it has to be one of the best down bags for backpacking.

Basically, its half a down sleeping bag, with down only in the top of the bag. you slip in a closed cell or a thermarest matress, then you've got one truly warm bag that weighs in at less than 1kg. I know of several guides and hunters that use this bag for their winter hunts in the southern Alps of New Zealands - which a bloody cold place!! Cheers, Jim

Posts: 162 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using Therma-rest pads since the earl 80's and the original has never let me down. I have a patch kit somewhere, but have never had an occasion to use it. Feathered Friends in Seattle make some wonderful down bags. I still use a down bag from REI that has to be close to 30 years old.

Posts: 94 | Location: Hastings, Mn | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Take a Western Mountaineering and You will never want another one...

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote