THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    New topic, new dilema --- Backpacking Rifles
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New topic, new dilema --- Backpacking Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own two ultra lights, a .300 winnie and .338 Remington Ultra mag. both built by Kerry O'Day at MG Arms. The .300 is just a shade over 6 lbs. scopped and loaded, the .338 (without the Kevlar stock and with a heavier barrel) is slightly over 7 1/4. The .300 shoots 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards and the .338 is literally a "one hole gun". They are very well balanced and with the very effective brakes and recoil pads he uses, recoil is more than manageable. I have no problem getting on game for follow-up shots and if the guns are balanced correctly, regardless of weight, sighting is no problem. The weight savings and "packability" more than make up for slight advantage a substantially heavier, more barrel heavy sporter may provide in this regard. Some folks swear off muzzle breaks, they do increase muzzle blase (especially in the .338 RUM) but we should all be using ear protection at all times. My hearing is slightly impaired from decades of shotgunning and rifle shooting without it. I now use Walker's game ears if hunting Elk or Brown Bear and the Walker's or plugs when hunting sheep, goats or mulies in open country. If you're thinking of an ultra light, especially for back pack hunts, go for it.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had MG Arms build me an ultra-light rifle last year. It was indeed light and well balanced, but the workmanship on the stock looked like an apprentices project. I sent it back and it was returned almost two months after I was told it would be back, and looked like the same apprentice tried to repair it. The guy wouldn't take my phone calls or return my letters. After nearly a year, I got my money back, through my credit card company. What a disappointment that entire experience was. I can't imagine that this is how his reputation and business was built, but that was my experience.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cobrad,
Sorry to hear that. I'm very surprised at Kerry for treating you that way and agree that it is no way to run a business. I will also say that neither of the stocks on my guns are a thing of beauty (the .300 camo job is downright ugly, but the thing is, the pattern does work as it is virtually invisible to the eye in the woods or bush). There was also a small ding in the .338 UM stock when I got it, which did surprise me, but the gun shoots so damn well, I just had my gs here fix it and touch it up and it's fine. Generally, I've found that if you take a synthetic stock and paint it, it is never going to look that good and you can ding the non-kevlar stocks if you slam them around. I didn't expect much in this regards, since that's been my experience with other similar guns and I consider these guns really just tools, that are going to be in for some serious abuse from Idaho to Alaska to Africa. As long as the gun does what it is advertised to do, i.e. deliver an accurate shot in a light weight package and stand up to all the punishment that the elements can dish out, I'm happy. So far they both have and I'm very pleased. They have allowed me to leave their counterparts (the ones that would cause a coronary if the stocks or barrels got dinged or broken) in the safe where I can fondle them occasionally or wrap them in lambs wool on the way to the range.

Good shooting, EB

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's another suggestion:

Steyr Scout

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ClimberGreg:
Getting steady, and making the first shot count is a very important thing to me.
I suspect recoil and getting a steady sight picture is one of the reasons there are so many used handi rifles at my local gunshop.

Great sense!

I bought a Blaser K95 single shot break open in 6.5x57R that I mounted with a Swaro 6x42. Stock design is excellent and it was scarily accurate off the bench but I found it much more difficult to shoot in the field as it weighed slightly under 7lbs.

I took it to the French alps for Chamois and Mouflon. The Chamois presented itself broadside at 250yards and the Mouflon front on at 200yards. These are both simple shots at home with my standard 9.5lb rifle but it took every atom of skill I had to take those shots at those 2 (expensive) animals even though I had all the time in the world - basicaly heart thump shook the reticle.

Back home I decided I wanted a rifle that was slightly lighter than my Mauser customs. I have built a 26" cut rifle 9twist 243 on a sako AII action, mounted it with another Swaro6x42 and kept the wood stock. I now have a 8.75lb rifle that balances well and I can shoot. Next time I go to the Alps I will be a lot more confident and my shoulder will only ache a tiny bit more from carrying it.