Tools

Knee pain - your solutions?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Glucosomine is wonderful !! with chondroiton sp?

now if you could get your doctor to prescribe you some Nandrolene Decanate prior to your trip it would make all your joints feel fantastic....................like you where 20 years younger.

color added. These two combined will about eliminate it. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found lots of interesting information in the Blaylock Wellness Report special supplement to repair joints.Subscription 1-800-485-4350 or wellnessreport@newsmax.com my wife used the info on cholesteral to lower hers to 135 using the Dr. recommended health food store item .July 2006 Wellness Report Vol 3 #7 Supplements to Repair Joints & Reduce Inflamation

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jordan:
IanF:

Hindu Squats---just a fancy name for good ole fashioned deep knee bends. This therapy (exercise) has completely eliminated my knee pain. Here is the exercise and regimen: feet shoulder width apart. Bend your knees and go all the way down, as far as you can, might have to lift up on your toes abit as you get all the way down, then raise up again. Keep your back relatively straight. Put your arms out in front of you as you go down, then down to your sides as you raise up. Try not to steady yourself by hanging on to anything.

Do these squats 3-5 times per week. Do as many as you can do in one sitting until your leg muscles are tired. Increase reps as you are able.

Also, although the goal is to be able to balance yourself going up and down. If you can't do this initially, you can steady yourself by placing a hand on a nearby wall or table.

My wife and I started doing these deep knee bends and within a few days it completely eliminated chronic knee pain for both of us.

Jordan

An excellent exercise, I do the full Matt Furey Combat Conditioning routine, and the back bridge really helps back pain.

Posts: 257 | Location: The Greatest Country on Earth! | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welll... I've just had about 8 sessions of therapy (physio Wink)... IT band problems was the verdict, so we stretched and exercised and ultrasounded, and so on. I did a few hikes, some pretty strenuous, and all was well. Until one afternoon, coming down off a mountain, pretty tired, I hit a little rock with my foot. My foot got turned, and I felt a stretch in my knee. Ten paces later the hurt was back, with a vengeance, but not on the IT band. I'm guessing it is the ligament. I'm cycling now, whenever the snow is off the roads. I keep doing the stretches though, they helped getting some agility back. I guess if it really is the ligament, plenty of strength building should help out this situation...

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biking is really good if you have foot problems that make running out of the question. I don't like to bike on the road unless I have daylight and dry pavement (I've had too many falls and hit too much stuff in the dark to do it any other way.) What I do the rest of the time is bike in the house on a trainer. You can get a good one from any bike shop for $100-$200, depending on type. I like a trainer, as opposed to a stationary bike, because I'm using my regular bike, pedals and shoes. It's also a lot cheaper than a good stationary bike.

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
wihntr,

I'll second the recommendation of "wind trainers". They work great.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Start with your feet and have them checked by a chiropodist with some advanced equipment. If your arches are going I guarantee you all kinds of interesting pain. I finally went back to the Veterans Administration to get new orthotics. They were much thicker from front to rear than the old ones and could only be worn (or even fit into) floppy winter boots which were a size larger than normal.

These took time gettinmg used to and caused some stretching in ligaments and whatever else is in a lower leg. Those pains receded and then my knees starting feeling funny. After running around in normal shoes those felt more comfortable though the knees hurt. Back into the boots for wet weather and things were feeling better overall.

If you can lift and re-shape your arches all kinds of problems will be corrected and your foot will shorten to its original size. As arches collapse you can gain a size in foot length, which if not matched to larger shoes, will cause your toes to look like they ran into a brick wall and never had a trip to the body shop for straightening out.

If you are into heavy duty leather work and buckskinning and have seen the plans for Civil War footgear (still available from the government along with specs for uniforms, etc) you could make some very custom field use footgear. I'll eventually take a crack at this myself but for the purpose of making earlier periods of foot gear. Check the net as there are sites for crazies who do this sort of work for all ancient foot wear.

Posts: 146 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 14 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frans Diepstraten:
Yes, well, that is fine when you weigh 250 lbs to start with. I only weigh 135 lbs. There is not a lot to loose! ;-)

Frans

Frans, I recommend taping two large sponges to the soles of your hunting boots. Sounds about right. Smiler

LH

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
L.

If you ever show up here I'll take your sorry lowland behind up a few scree slopes so you can experience first hand what we are talking about! dancing

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shortening my feet!? I have a size 5 1/2 for shoes, 6 for boots! I know, I'm a midget.

I bought some Superfeet inserts that seemed to have helped some... though my soles are now wearing on the outside... may need to get expert advice on this.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Frans

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
L.

If you ever show up here I'll take your sorry lowland behind up a few scree slopes so you can experience first hand what we are talking about! dancing

Frans

Let's make it happen some day. I'll even bring some extra sponges with me. Smiler

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been doing some pretty serious mountain training of late ........ and the have found that the sore knee thing is getting harder and harder to ignore.

I've been taking Glucosamine-Chondroitin supplements for about a month and haven't shown any marked improvement. My doctor says give it three months..... if it doesn't work in that amount of time..... discontinue.

I'm going to get a "purpose-designed" trekking pole and possibly one of these cho-pat dual action knee straps that I saw in Backpacker magazine.

Has anybody here tried these cho-pat knee support straps? If so, what do you think of them?

TIA

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaMan:
I've been doing some pretty serious mountain training of late ........

It takes time to get joints into shape. Muscles are easy, but tendons, ligaments etc take longer. I'm just equating this to getting a horse ready for endurance... I've read it takes about 3 months to get it ready to do a 25 km trott/gallop once, but about 3 years to get it so it can do it on a regular basis without risking injury. I'm at this for about five years now, and I've worked through a lot of knee pain. I've been doing biathlon all this winter, and the knees feel rather good right now... maybe I finally got this office-fit body into some sort of mountain shape.

Frans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been doing some pretty serious mountain training of late ........ and the have found that the sore knee thing is getting harder and harder to ignore.

Don,
Sometimes the best thing to do is 'vacation'. I'm 45 and can go pretty hard for a while before the pain on the knees will build up. Then I'll lay off for a short while, keep stretching, eat right and then get back at it again.
Funny thing about running the hills (or mountains where you are), I find it a lot easier on the knees running up than down.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:

As to the use of Glucosamine and Chondroitin: Sadly for us as Ortho surgeons after great expectation of hope this seems to be nothing more than snake oil.

Large multicenter prospective randomized studies done on both administering of these supplements or witdrawing them from people who swore by them failed to show any real efficacy in its use.

ALF

You really found a good way to ruin my day - here was I, hoping for better living through science! Roll Eyes

Rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take the following to reduce joint pain---
1 tsp. cinnimin
2 tsp. honey

mix in 8 oz. glass to a paste, add 8 oz of warm water, once a day in the morning.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaMan:
quote:
Originally posted by bluefin:

Funny thing about running the hills (or mountains where you are), I find it a lot easier on the knees running up than down.

Yup! Downslope is the knee killer... especially in rocky steep terrain where you are making those big pounding downslope steps.

Anti-shock trekking poles help where and when you can use them. thumb

I know trekking poles are two extra items to drag along....... but they DO help in mountainous terrain. thumb

I can move much faster with them. Especially downslope.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having abused most of my body parts for years via various means, extreme sports, working in harsh and extreme conditions, and accidents one of which resulted in 2 broken ankles and a broken clavicle.

I have tried most methods of relieving knee pain and joint pain. Be they exercise based or supplement/drug based.

Over the last year I have been using an Aloevera formula made by Forever Freedom. Which I was recommended to try by a friend who's an ex GP motorcycle rider. He's has more screws, plates and pins in various parts of his body then B&Q/Home depot have on their shelves.

It has certainly made a huge difference for me. I still ache a bit after a heavy day on the hill but nowhere nears as much as I did before.

Heres the link
http://www.aloehealthuk.comstoreproducts_detail.asp?product=196

Fat people are harder to kidnap.

Posts: 47 | Location: UK | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
I started having knee pain problems a few years ago I messed around with Glucosamine and several other fix you all up remedies.

I work out regularly and just before I head out hiking pop a 400mg Ibuprofen or Motrin.

May have to take one again later in the day but it has solved my problem for now and I'm almost 50.

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By pill popping all you are doing is masking the problem, and just storing up more damage until it becomes something major. Not resolving it.

Fat people are harder to kidnap.

Posts: 47 | Location: UK | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
These supplements, are they over-the-counter stuff or prescription? Any negative side-effects?
Snake Oil Big Grin Most of this crap doesn't have any scientific evidence to back it up, as I keep telling my wife, who has a shelf full of the shit. I had arthroscopy to clean up my knee, a couple of months ago, and while not perfect, things are definitely better.
Grizz

Frans

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
i use the elastic knee braces made by ACE. then two walking sticks, komperdels.

Downhills really beat mine up also.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2581 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jacobs:
By pill popping all you are doing is masking the problem, and just storing up more damage until it becomes something major. Not resolving it.

Thanks for that info I would have never know if you didn't take the time too inform me... coffee

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by moki:
quote:
Originally posted by Jacobs:

Thanks for that info I would have never know if you didn't take the time too inform me... coffee

Well, then I'll throw in this other little tidbit. Big Grin All those anti-inflamatories and pain killers are going to wreck your gut, after a while.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HUNTS
posted Hide Post
SAM-e works great for me.

Posts: 161 | Location: Bozeman, Montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IanF,

Consider hiking poles. Here in the NE USA its easy to find a stick at the top of a hill and use it to ease myself down on the more difficult spots, to cross brooks etc.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alf's advice to seek professional help is spot on. I have suffered greatly with knee problems last six years. After changing Orthopods I had a high tibial osteotomy last year on right knee (wasn't much fun). Can't wait to have the left one done when I have time!
Find out what the problems is, and act accordingly. Smiler

DRSS

Posts: 1908 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IanF:
Guys.

Any training suggestions?

Rgds Ian Wink

Loose weight.... I had much the same problem, lost 46 pounds and solved 99% of my problems.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
How much does the weight balance of the backpack influence knee pain?

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll sure try to use walking sticks on my next trip. I'm also sure my "friends" will use the opurtunity to tell how I look like an old man.... Cool

My knees are also hurting going downhill. I have to take it really easy. It feels like I'm loosing the feeling in my knees after a while going downhill. It's quite frusterating because I have no problem climbing uphill. Even with quite heavy load.
I also do some bicycling and walking to train my knees, but I dont think it helps. Confused
I have tried some flexi braces on my knees to, but they are no good to the skin on the back of my knee.

*Treat problems like a dog; Take a sniff ..... If it can't be killed, eaten, or fucked? Just pie on it, and walk on!:-)

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go get a quart of Natures Blessed concentrated tart cherry juice. Two tablespoons daily. Took care of my sore knee in two weeks. No pain yet and that was 5 weeks ago. Two buddies can report much less elbow pain and shoulder pain.
The doseage is equal to 60 cherries.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned above, I have taken all of those concoctions on the market and for me they do not work at reducing the pain. Latest suggestion from well meaning person was to use Horse Lintament. It is available at some drug chain, but I'll pass on it. Played baseball from ages of 10-25 and as catcher, got smeared more than a few times plus squatting position is very bad on the knees. PT was to squat and walk and twist at the same time, "duck" movement! Right.
Had some shots to the knee joints, and if I could have gotten to my Glock, it would have been a bad day for the Doc! Military should use that method to extract info from the enemy, trust me they will talk! Next step was to schedule knee joint replacement for the left knee. Proceeded with that until the very day at the joint clinic and when they decided that it was my RIGHT knee that needed replaced when it was determined all along it was to be the LEFT knee, I removed the gown I was in, dressed and left with the staff telling me I had to stay. They were still telling me that as I went out the front door. I am scheduled to do the replacement operation after the first of the year, but at a different clinic I might add.
I at that time weighed nearly 220 pounds and more weight than I liked and decided I should loose weight. Close to a year ago now and have weight down to 187 and my knee problem has been greatly reduced. Make two fists, put them togther, look at the back of your hands, and that simulates your knee joint. Well, there is supposed to be some "stuff" between the two bones and due to wear and tear, age, that "stuff" is gone, with bone against bone. Am sure there are those with OK weights, but if you are heavier than you should be, believe loosing the weight is the best real answer to relieving most of the pain. Simple approach, but works for me at this time.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Walking sticks!!!

Just tried it! Great!
It takes approx. 20% of your knees uphill and sure helps downhill as well.
I tried it last weekend, and I mostly used it when I was carrying heavy things like meat.
I used it up to the mountains, and I used it down again. On the way up we carried food and stuff, and down again we carried meat from reindeer.
Very good to have when you are crossing rocky areas, and creeks. You are much steadyer.
On the flat country, and with only hunting/daypack I have no use of the sticks............yet.
Try it!
(Yes, you look like an old man though.) rotflmo

*Treat problems like a dog; Take a sniff ..... If it can't be killed, eaten, or fucked? Just pie on it, and walk on!:-)

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Yep. Cripple sticks. All the young'uns will tease you as you hobble along.

Nothing like another pair of "legs" to share the load though!

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how many of the posters here are doctors, other than ALF, and I'm not one either, but if you are having pain on descent, especially if it is really painful, you should have it check out by someone specializing in orthopedics. I recently experienced something similar and have tried anti-inflammatories, holistic joint meds, physical therapy and all sorts of other stuff only to find out I had basically torn the MCL and roughed up the meniscus to the point of diminishing returns.

Before you have to have a full knee replacement, go see a "knee guy", whether it is an arthroscopic surgeon, general practicioner, or whatever. If you are having pain that limits your activity, there is something seriously wrong.

I go for surgery next Tuesday...

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen the human studies which cast doubt on the efficcy of the Choindroitin/glucosamine formulas but I deal with species that don't have personal agendas. I have seen responses to the "green lipped mussel" formulas whic rival heavy doses of corticosteroids.
It makes a difference who's stuff you use. Comnsumerlab.com can tell you whci ones are good.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
already told ya! Take heed, use remedy or keep the pain.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote