THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    How to use backpacks and handguns together?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to use backpacks and handguns together?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Those of you who carry a handgun when backpacking, or backpack hunting, or using a backpack to get to your hunting area, where and how do you carry your handgun?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used for years and many a mile with a pack on. A horizonal shoulder holster cross draw. So Iam right handed the pistol is carried under my left shoulder butt forward. With my Ti 41 mag one hardly knows it is there.

I have once in a great while thrown in a light weight nylon pancake type to carry around when I don't have pack on.

R U from Seeley lk MT R U going to spend time up in the Bob I have done several trips there.

My buddy carries colt 10mm in a chest rig. I have thought of trying to rig up a holster to the pack straps but then when you take the pack off your gun goes with it.

Posts: 19394 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, Seeley, MT. My home is 20 minute walk to Lolo National Forest. Bob Marshall is too far for my old bones. Since we've had grizzly two houses down and across the road, and mountain lion beneath neighbor's porch, Bob Marshall is kind've coals to Newcastle, don't you think?
I have Freedom Arms 475 Linebaugh and Super Redhawk 480. If the holsters you use don't interfere with padded hip belts and shoulder straps, please let me know what they are. I am partial to horsehide rather than synthetics.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use synthetics almost exclusively now days all my leather is gathering dust. I use uncle mikes nylon ones. I haven't found a hip one that doesn't interfer with hip belts that is way the shoulder holster.

I have carried up to six inch barrels in the horizonal one with out interfering with my packs.

Posts: 19394 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
Carried my 329PD in a Western Stlye belt/holster, basically hanging below the pack belt on a Mystery Ranch NICE frame. It worked well for me, but the lightness of the pistol may have been the key.
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My buddy carries in the bush here regularly and he and I were recently working on a good system for packing a Smith 629 on a pack.

He has his revolvers cut to 4.25"bbls, due to the silly and commie-nazi gun regs. here and then uses a Bianchi Military Revolver holster on the pack waistbelt. It seems a good rig and one I might emulate if I get around to getting my permit to carry.

I have a Redhawk 5.5".44M that is a solid piece, but, VERY heavy and so I am considering buying a 629 and chopping it. I much prefer my .375s in Grizzly country, but, there are times when a pistol would be real welcome.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
Haven't done it yet. But is there some reason that the "tactical" thigh holster wouldn't work well in that situation? Out of the way of the pack and shoulder straps while wearing the pack as well as mounting and removal, and the holster is not tied to the pack.

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
kifaru has some nice solutions to this

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vibe:
Haven't done it yet. But is there some reason that the "tactical" thigh holster wouldn't work well in that situation? Out of the way of the pack and shoulder straps while wearing the pack as well as mounting and removal, and the holster is not tied to the pack.
You and I have similar views in imagination. I, haven't done this for a handgun -- knife, yes. One problem is dearth of holster makers for my revolvers, and I reiterate, I strongly prefer horsehide full flap holsters. While I would settle for the pivot to be some sort of nylon or other web strapping, I would prefer the extender to be horsehide incorporating a metal pivot -- similar, perhaps to US Cavalry holsters in the 20th century but sufficiently long to move holster below hip belt? I'm willing to sacrifice some weight for the horsehide.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't go anywhere in the woods around here, just north of the Park, without my 44, a 4&5/8 SuperBlackhawk fixed up by Ben Forkin in WSS. I've tried lots of different holsters and walked several miles with each over many years and have a few observations:

Tactical holsters: Great, BUT they chafe the hell out of my leg after a few miles of hiking in rough country.
Shoulder rigs: Again great but don't always fit good with every pack I have and can be uncomfortable due to the shoulder rig get bound up with the pack straps etc.
Personal Solution: An old policemans swivel carry holster. These were designed so that the pistol was at normal "hand at side" position and yet would swivel so the officer could sit in his patrol car comfortably. Sets low enough no hip belts block the access to the pistol and because it swings freely I've never had the pistol slide out. One thing I like is that it is just the right length for the holster to just fit a bit into the leg pocket of my six pocket pants which keeps it from swinging when I hike. The other feature is that I picked it up at a gun show about 15 years ago for $5. I still see them at the local shows (MT) there is a guy that sells nothing but old leather and they're about $10 to $25 depending on color, brown is very rare (mines black) and general condition.

Very important: ANY rig you take off all the time is worthless. You will never know when you will need your pistol. (Personal experience here) It needs to be a part of you that you only remember to take off because it hangs up on your sleeping bag.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I carry a 4" S&W 44 Mag 100% of the time when in the "woods".

For me the best way to carry it has been in a De Santis dual angle hunter holster worn crossdraw. This holster has a fairly radical rake that makes it comfortble even when walking in extremely steep country.

It is the most comfrotable/accessable way to carry the revolver when wearing a heave backpack, riding a horse, atv, sitting etc.

In bad weather I just keep the bottom of the 2 way zipper of my coat open a little to get access to the gun, it still stays dry.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know of a holster that will work with a molle system? I need it to fit a CZ75 40p with tac rail. I assume a universal holster would work. Until I can get my Blackhawk in .357 this is what I need to make do.

P.S. @HunterMontana I am working in that area inspecting powerlines. Right now I am just south of strickland creek on a 161kv line, but about a month ago I was on a 69kv line from Emigrant to Gardiner that went through the Gallitin. I have several people asking me about bear spray and seem quite concerned, should I really have it on me at all times. I've never had a problem before and neither has anyone in my company.

We've been all over Glacier too just to bear in mind.

P.S. sorry about the HiJack

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say that 99% of the time you will not be in any danger. I've never had to play "tag" with a bear and the countless cans of bear spray I've bought over the years have all been used up only for "practice". BUT, I'm not about to risk it since around here someone gets the crap kicked out of them almost every year.

Now, if you are in some very remote area, off trail, and hunting or camping over night you may want to consider something more than pepper spray. My main concern is after I've killed something. A fellow got killed and partially eaten a few years back whilst dressing out his cow elk. His rifle was found leaning against a tree...

This is the real issue with a holster for a bear gun, comfort. I've bumped into bears going to the crapper, going down to the creek for water and gathering firewood. Nothing happened, bear left post haste, however, it was VERY comforting to just drop my hand and find my little friend at my side. The pepper spray was with my pack back at camp.

The leason for me was that under no circumstances should the pistol be attached to your pack. A good holster is one that is never in the way, never pokes you and keeps the pistol at hand. If you forget you have it on then it's a good rig.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use an El Paso Saddlery "Tanker" shoulder holster for my Super Blackhawk.

This doesn't ride under the armpit, where it would interfere with pack straps, but rather more on the lower ribs.

Single strap occasionally "cuts" a little, as the revolver is a little heavy, but it's not bad on top of heavier clothing.

They will make this holster to fit darn near anything. SA, DA, semiautos, whatever.

.30-06 Springfield: 100 yrs + and still going strong

Posts: 29 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: 06 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pacific Canvas & Holster makes a pivoting belt holster that is very close to what I think is needed 1912 Cavalry Holster. Since "close" doesn't count except in the grenade toss and nuclear warfare, is anyone aware of a holster maker who builds to order from horsehide?

posted Hide Post
I us the "Sourdough Pancake" model from "Simply Rugged" holsters. It is available with 2 slots to be worn strongside, or with a 3rd slot so it can also be worn crossdraw. I got mine with the 3rd slot & wore it crossdraw all through my bow hunting season. I wore it under the hip belt on my 30#(loaded) daypack with no problems. I have a 4.75" Blackhawk in .41 mag so my gun is a bit lighter. The quality, service, & price were all great.
By the way, I tried the tactical/thigh rig with my 10mm auto & found it moved too much with each step to suit me.

http://www.simplyrugged.com/leather_goods/index.html

Posts: 3 | Location: Kenai, Alaska | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I've been in the market for a holster for the past month or so. Lots of stuff out there and figuring out just what I wanted has been a challenge.

BTW, I'm fitting a holster to a Smith 357pd.

Just 'cuz I'm bored, here's my thought process:

1. Any holster MUST have retention and a trigger cover. The thought of tromping through brush and getting a stick through a trigger guard scares the snot out of me. Sure, the retention strap on a holster "prevents" the hammer from being pulled. But what happens if the strap is undone? I've played enough IDPA "lite" stuff at the local range to be able to honestly say that any holster without a trigger cover is a risk that I don't want. Not because my finger could be the issue, but because Nature's "finger" can get into the guard and screw things up.

2. Leather vs. Synthetic: I prefer synthetics but the simple truth is that this is as much about aesthetics as anything else. Leather looks GREAT and ages beautifully. Synthetics are, well, lighter anyway. I doubt either protects any better than the other. However, leather WILL absorb more water than synthetics and if it gets wet, is going to be heavier and take a lot longer to dry out. Blued pistolero's need to be aware of this and protect the pistol appropriately.

3. Crossdraw vs. strong side vs. ??? - I wanted a holster that could handle both CD and SS carry. I can see the need for both - so why own two holsters? I'd also like to figure out how to make a thigh-holster conversion with one of these...but that's the future.

4. Technicalities: "open design" vs. "closed design" - aka, Galco DAO & Phoenix vs. Bianchi Cyclone 111. The Galco is an exposed barrel tip and the edge isn't sealed. In theory this is a weakness as a stick could get jammed up the exposed tip, but the angle of the holster is pretty protective. The Bianchi Cyclone is fully stitched all the way around.

In all my research I pretty much found two holsters that fit my basic needs of Trigger cover + retention (thumbsnap) & CD or SS carry.

I have the Galco Phoenix on order. I looked at one in the store (wrong size) and was pretty impressed with it.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colt GM (10mm) in a Bianchi UM84 holster

Attached to the pack's hip belt.

when the pack goes the holster detaches in seconds to be
reattached to my pant's belt.

I have the Bianchi "Tanker" kit (extender to put the pistol down my thigh) "Tactical". I don't partcularly care for the way the pistol moves around when I'm walking, nor for the fact that it hangs below the bottom hem of every coat I own.

the strap around my thigh is just another annoyance
if it's loose enough to be comfortable when walking it
doesn't control the holster, if it's tight enough to control
the motion it's uncomfortable YMMV

OTOH I DO like the "thumbreak" conversion in place of the full flap on the holster, getting the pistol out (quickly)
like when I need it RIGHT NOW, past that flap? PLEASE!

I don't NEED the flap because generally my coat does that job and it's usually more agreeable to getting out of the
way when holster access is required.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its been a long time since I carried a short barreled hand gun in the woods. Never did find a good way to carry the ole Mod 29, 4". Here every time you go in the woods, regardless how far, you chance running into a bear of either black or brown color. Now I carry a Super Redhawk 454 w/7.5 bbl in a K&N bandolier holster whether carryin a back pack or not. Thats as handy as I have found to carry a big hand gun in the woods. It will even work under the heavy rain gear that is so typical for us here in SEAK.

Posts: 188 | Location: nc | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote