THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Proper length for a "Hiking Staff"

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proper length for a "Hiking Staff"
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
Like a canoe paddle, there is likely some idea of how long a proper hiking staff should be based upon ones heigth.
Anyone have an opinions?
(Surely there is one or two on this site that have opinions <LOL>Wink

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4233 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say longer then the bottom of your chin to avoid getting impaled if you trip and land on it.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
It would depend on the country you are hiking or hunting in. For my uses, in Coues deer country in Arizona and Sonora, I have made my own and find that one that is my height, 6', or a few inches shorter, is preferable. Going downhill is when the staff is most helpful and that length provides me with a good solid grasp when the staff is below my level of footing.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like mine about arm pit high. I would find a 6 foot stick to be way to long. I am 5'10"

Posts: 19400 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About the same length as you are...

The main purpose I use it for is support on traverse shale crossings and down hills when the knees are ready to give up. I need the length for that...

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frans Diepstraten:
About the same length as you are...

The main purpose I use it for is support on traverse shale crossings and down hills when the knees are ready to give up. I need the length for that...

Frans

I agree 100%.

I usually don't carry a staff, but if I do I use a stout one about head high.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I usually cut a stick about head height if water crossings are anticipated. Its handy to poke downstream against a rock and brace yourself.

Once across the water you can lop them off to about shoulder height for the hills.

I find it handy to have a fork at the bottom of the stick for water but that is the first thing to go when on slopes.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:

Once across the water you can lop them off to about shoulder height for the hills.

Assuming you are not going to need to get out the same way!!

Or do you cut a new staff when out?

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Fallow Buck

Its rare for me to come out the same exact way as I go in to an area.

I just cut sticks along the way and modify them as needed or toss them when I see a better one.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
I used to use hiking staffs made from limbs or bamboo, but I finally broke down and bought a pair of trekking poles. At first I was a bit skeptical on how much "improvement" they can add to your hike. My first trip out, I was absolutely sold. No comparison to a single staff. Sure they seem kind of yuppie-ish, or for the tree huggers, but once you get past the stigma, it opens a whole new world of hiking. You can far outpace someone without them!!! The only downside is the extra calories burnt while hiking which translates into extra food requirements. Would I ever hike without them??? NOPE!!!! They are the single greatest advancement in walking since the shoe thumb

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote