THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Dupont Tyvek- a tip and a stupid question

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dupont Tyvek- a tip and a stupid question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
After reading about tyvek's uses as a backpacking tarp I have been hoping to find a usable remnant. This has proven harder than I thought.

While brainstorming different was to come-up with a decent sized piece without having to purchase a $100 roll I stumbled accross a great source: ebay. There are quite a few sellers offering Tyvek by the foot at prices that are about 50% above bulk retail. It seems like a win-win, the seller makes a few dollars and you get a tarp without have to purchase a triple-lifetime supply. Anyway, I though that might be of use to some of you.

OK now for the stupid question: last month in deer camp we were hit by the first heavy storm of the year(it rained and blew far worse than we are used to here in Ca). Because it often doesn't rain until after deer season here in California no one in our party had great "hunting type" rain-gear. We were better equipped than the hunters in the next camp, one of them wrapped himself in Saran-wrap(no kidding!).
Roll Eyes

The Saran-wrap guy got me to thinking about a source for light-weight, inexpensive rain gear. I came up with what I thought might be a good source: Dupont Tyvek coveralls. I felt too silly to bring this up on the forum until I saw that Calgarychef and others had recommended them for use in the snow as "snow camo" suits.

Reportedly the Tyvek suits are waterproof, breathable and dye able(?). I wonder how these suits dyed earth-tones would work for backpacking rain-gear. I'm not thinking of all out rain-forest hunts, but backpacking hunts in which their is a slight possibility of rain.

What do you guys think?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've used them a bunch for emergency backpacking use and they work great though brush will easily tear them. Never trie to dye it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never tried to dye Tyvek, but it is a decent level of emergency protection. There is such incredibly light weight, emergency rain gear available from all the good sporting goods stores I'm not sure about the need. It would be very noisy to hunt in, and won't be very durable or 100% waterproof. A little rain never hurt anyone, so I can't see using it to just continue hunting. As an emergency layer, there is no need to dye it, but I would probably recommend an emergency poncho or tarp for true emergency situations. If you just want something very cheap and disposable for slight added comfort in the rain, then go ahead. Personally, I just enjoy the rain !

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
An update: the Tyvek suits are NOT waterproof as they come from the factory, not even really water resistant. The material is waterproof, but the seams and zipper leak like a sieve, and there are a bunch of seams!

I'm tempted to try sealing the seams, but I really doubt that it is worth the effort.

Bottom line, I think a light weight poncho is a better option.

quote:
Originally posted by llamapacker:
A little rain never hurt anyone, so I can't see using it to just continue hunting.

I enjoy hunting in the rain and getting soaked to the bone as long as it's not too cold and I have some means to get dry/warm after the day's hunt. In a backpacking situation getting soaked at high elevation without the means to get dry and warm, especially while alone, is a recipe for disaster.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I used Tyvek coveralls for several years at work. They are not breathable. Might be comfortable over clothes in the cold, but in a 70-75 degree temp, you'll be dripping with sweat after moderate activity. They are water resistant for a bit, but once it penetrates, they feel like wearing a wet paper bag. They do not flex at all. Most coveralls are built to cover SCBA, so the chest/waist is very bulky, but the shoulders are sort of small. I have 46-48" shoulders and had to wear XXL Tyvek c-alls. A 350 pound man could wear them. They only last for maybe a couple hours before they're shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a company already making suits like this called Frogg Toggs. Go to froggtoggs.com

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Tyvek chemical suits for rain gear on many occasions.

Regular Tyvek suits are splash resistant. Great if you spill something on yourself and change out of it, but worthless for long soaking rains.

Coated Tyvek suits are water proof but do not breathe and will leave you soaked from perspiration.

I think COATED Tyvex would make acceptable raingear IF it is cool weather, its worn over fleece and you remain stationary.

Regular Tyvex suits still make good windbreakers and would likely delay your death due to hypothermia in a cold rain.

Posts: 44 | Location: Midwestern USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're gonna pack a Tyvek suit, why not just bring the real thing? Big Grin Would seem logical.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
If you're gonna pack a Tyvek suit, why not just bring the real thing? Big Grin Would seem logical.

Grizz

Good question Big Grin

My theory(now disproved) was that a Tyvek coverall would provide a light weight, compact waterproof option that would be cheap enough that you could toss it in your pack and not worry about it getting destroyed. I was looking for something to take along when rain is not predicted, but possible.

I was right on all accounts and the Tyvek seems to be waterproof, but due to all the seams and zipper, the suit itself is not remotely waterproof.

Real raingear or a poncho seem to be the answer. Or like Llamapacker suggests, I could just man-up and get wet....

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest stopping by an appropriate looking construction site and simply asking to buy or be given a 10' square piece of tyvek. I usually have some somewhere and would be happy to share with anyone who'd ask. Now don't start asking me to mail you some, just look for your nearest siding job and pull over.

The Frogg Toggs work semi well. I used them on a North Slope sheep hunt and would do so again. I bought a set of off brand tyvek gear locally and I'd say so far so good.

Posts: 9121 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:

Grizz

Because some people have boxes and boxes of them suplied free for their work! I always considered them a wear once and discard item. Wink

Posts: 44 | Location: Midwestern USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote