Find
Notify
Tools

Sleeping pad
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted
I have a three quarter length self inflating thermarest pad that’s pretty comfortable as well as small and light. However, in a base camp scenario when size and weight aren’t as critical I wouldn’t mind a little more padding. Anybody use a foam pad in combination with their self inflating? That way if you end up spiking out for a few days you still have your small light pad to take with you and leave the foam one at base camp.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider the Airmat 7.5. I've found it to be very comfortable.

FWIW — I'm not so sure it's all that great wrt its insulation properties, but I sleep like a baby on mine, and (for those who backpack) it is compressible into a very small package.

posted Hide Post
i sometimes carry a big thermarest for a base camp pad. the exped is a popular and comfortable option also. i use a big agness air core which is about like an exped and it needs extra insulation in cold weather. this is not a problem if you plan to have the extra pad anyway to spike out with. a closed cell over an air core is real cushy.

Posts: 18 | Location: arkansas | Registered: 22 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be aware that any air mat will usually not provide you insulation from cold.
Some will, but most will not, and if you are in a place with temps that fall below 40 degrees, you will need insulation under you. Remember that your sleeping bag insulation gets compressed when you lay on it, and as such offers almost no barrier to cold.

Bob Nisbet

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
My hunt last Oct had temps down in the low 20's and all i had was a air mat. I did get a little cold. Sounds like the foam is a good piece of equipment to add. Not heavy but a little bulky.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always carry a couple of air activated heat packs. Put them near your kidney area for a warmer sleep, and make sure you have good head covering.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took a big double bed air mattress to deer camp this year. I had to add foam pads on top of it other wise it suck a lot of heat out the bottom. That was inside a heated cabin.

Posts: 19394 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have read good things about the Thermarest range of self inflating / punched foam core pads.

I have seen Big Agnes sleeping pad - sleeping bag systems. The idea looks quite good. The sleeping bag has a long pocket on the underside, instead of the normal bag fill - insulation. You slip the sleeping pad into the pocket. This way, you cannot roll off, or slide off the sleeping pad during the night.

What do posters think about this, against the more conventional types of pad? Dose the system offer 'real' rather than theoretical advantages over the conventional sleeping pads?

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a base camp I like a thick thermarest with an older sleeping bag under my good one for insulation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if your pad is small enough, try putting it in your sleeping bag to keep from shifting off of it. also, conveinent when boiling water for the next day to put the water into a water bottle and then bottle into a sock, at the foot of the bag. (not cancer leaching plastic bottle though, try stainless) start out warm and then have water for the middle of the night if thirsty.

if you can't own it don't say it