THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Backpack decision - advice please

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backpack decision - advice please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all

I'm looking to buy my first pack for hunting trips. The features I am looking for, in approx. order of priority are:

1) About 65L/4000cuinch capacity
2) Waterproof-rain cover is OK
3) Less than 6lbs, preferably 5lbs
4) Quiet material - the pack will be used for both hiking in and carrying whilst hunting
5) US$350 or less
6) Will accept hydration bladder
7) Internal frame
8) Some form of gun support (I have a Kifaru GunBearer so could just use that)
9) OK to pack out meat

If I ignore my weight limit the Eberlestock J104 looks great
If I ingore my budget the Kifaru Siwash package is top of the list
If I ignore my desire for the pack to be made from a "quiet" material perhaps a Gregory Makula Pro. Perhaps I can get a cover made from quiet material that is also waterproof.

Any thoughts on the perfect pack for me? Does it exist? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

Posts: 62 | Location: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: 21 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunting1
posted Hide Post
Eberlestok just one other than 6-1/2 lbs or so. If not look at the Kifaru.

Good Shoot'n!

Posts: 90 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I've been training about 6 weeks with the Eberlestock J105 in preparation for a sheep hunt in Aug. $367 with the 3L Hydration Pack, Spike Camp Duffle & shipping. As you indicated, a bit heavy, but a ton of features, flexible design w/handy compartments, well-made and the integral rifle system is comfortable. Glen has made himself available for questions.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
Kifaru... enough said.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Kifaru or Badlands; Nimrod Packs also has some neat stuff.

Kifaru's hunting line is probably the best, but check out their military stuff as well - some good modular options.

Better yet, hunt in Africa and have someone carry your stuff for you.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote