THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Mountaineering Boots for wide feet?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountaineering Boots for wide feet?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am looking for a new pair of mountaineering boots and have wide feet. My uses will be a combination of sheep/elk/moose hunting, high-altitude trekking, and mountaineering with crampons. The three boots that I am looking at are as follows because of the width issue (8-1/2 EE feet):

Cabellas Alaska Hunter $280 (Made in Germany)
Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400 $345 (Made in Italy)
Danner Montana Hunter GTX $240 (Made in China)

I have seen feedback on the Cabellas boots, any comments on the three boots listed or alternate suggestions? Cost is less of an issue than quality and comfort.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3813 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lowa Hunter GTX "WX" Extra are very good boots..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 9-9 1/2 EE feet and have been shopping for boots for awhile now.

Tried on a pair of Lowa Banffs today. I think I found my boots. Nice fit and quality seems excellent.

CSSA
CPC

Posts: 129 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HEADHUNTER 300MAG
posted Hide Post
the cabelas brand , ibex by meindl, are very good boots

Posts: 81 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wrongside:
I have 9-9 1/2 EE feet and have been shopping for boots for awhile now.

Tried on a pair of Lowa Banffs today. I think I found my boots. Nice fit and quality seems excellent.

Ended up with a pair of Hanwag Yukons.

The first boot, of many I tried on, that was perfect right from the start. For my fat feet at least. We took a family hike in the afternoon, maybe 4 miles, no complaints. Not much, if any, break-in required.

I'll try remember to post my impressions once the boots have some more miles on them...

CSSA
CPC

Posts: 129 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EE ? I thought you said you had wide feet ?
I have 10 1/2 EEEE.
It's tough to find boots that fit.
I finaly found a boot called
"Montrail" brand, Torre GTX
The X-wide model fits me and it's a very good boot.
Good luck, I wish my feet were only EE wide.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Posts: 254 | Location: Kaliforina | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Anaconda:

"Montrail" brand, Torre GTX
The X-wide model fits me and it's a very good boot.
[QUOTE]

+1 on the Montrail. I have been happy with mine (sine '03).

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lathrope and Son's makes a great boot (a little spendy). They actually have you send in a drawing of your foot and pics and make the boot based on that info.
Plastic boots can be blown out to help widen them as well and there is no better mountaineering boot than a plastic in my opintion.

Posts: 32 | Location: eagle river | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akrange:
AK

+1 and the Scarpa (Italy) Liskums. I'm not sure about wide sizes for the Scarpas, but they are a great boot, so it's worth checking out. The Hunter is a 3/4 shank were as the Liskum is a full shank. The Hunter will be an excellent mountain boot and decent all around. The Liskum will be an even better mountain boot, but not as good all around.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akrange:
AK

X2

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Danner Pronghorns on my 12 4E, work really well. They make them insulated and uninsulated. Vasque's work well too, although they squeak when you walk with them which annoyed me.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had them all over the years. The Montrail are excellent as are Asolo. Either are virtually indestructable. I've worn them for weeks on end with no fit issues.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I use Mindel Makalu which suit a wide foot.
The Makalu are a tad light for proper mountain climbing but are ideal for Alpine Trekking and Hunting.
Flexible Crampons will work with these boots.
For more heavy duty mountain climbing with Leather boots, I use La Sportiva's in the model one up from their Makalu's which are great and have extra insulation over Mindel's model up from the Makalu.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bore Boar Hunter:
Danner Pronghorns on my 12 4E, work really well...John

Different experience here. Danner doesn't make boot wide enough for wide feet. The widest they make are 3E (Canadians) and those are not even close to being wide enough for my 4Es.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Montrail Colours(sp?). Good boots but on the heavy side.
Don't even think about looking at LaSportiva. They are great boots but all of them are pretty narrow.

Also, when you do find a good pair, invest in a good set of insoles.

John

Posts: 30 | Location: SE Alaska | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote