Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GPS
 Login/Join

posted
I am starting to look for a new GPS. I would like one that would download maps. One that has a two way radio would also be great. Any suggestion?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grm:
I am starting to look for a new GPS. I would like one that would download maps. One that has a two way radio would also be great. Any suggestion?

I prefer carrying a separate radio and GPS, but if I were to purchase a combo, I'd go with the Garmin Rino HCx. Waterproof, great antenna, FRS/GMRS radio (up to 5 watts of transmitting power, which is the power of VHF hand-helds), and micro HDSC chips that you can load lots of 24k topos on.

I've never had a Rino, but I know people who do and I once worked with a National Parks Service Special Investigative Agent who swore by his (evidently quite a few NPS agents use them).

If you opt for a 5 watt rig, I think the FCC requires you to purchase a license in order to legally use the full power. I don't think there's a ham-like test involved, though.

I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say on this.

(Edited 4/11/2011: I changed ". . . power of VHS hand-helds . . ." to read ". . . power of VHF hand-helds . . .". Doh!)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's another thread in this forum section which is evaluating GPS. No discussion about radio, but otherwise it's worth tuning in.