THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Backpacking Essentials- add yours.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backpacking Essentials- add yours.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So what does every pack need, whether the trip is 3 days or 13? I was in NZ for the past 5 months (for school) and got in a month of backpack hunting. dancing One important thing I didn't have in my pack was extra bootlaces. Learned that the hard way.

Few other essentials.

Compass
flashlight
Signal mirror/blaze orange
emergency firestarter
Medical Kit

What else?

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
-Parachute cord-works for boot laces, lashing etc.
-Dental floss-sewing, lashing, flossing teeth!
-Heavy duty nylon thread instead of the floss works well too
-a nylon tarp, not "siltarp" because although it/s light, it's flammable

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Headlamp and of course, toilet paper!

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After food , shelter, clothes, and safety comes baby wipes, soap and maybe something sweet.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Being a member of SAR just a suggestion, for every piece of equipment that requires batteries,GPS,flashlight,headlamp,etc extra batteries is a must. We usually carry 2-3 times the required amount, just makes you a little safer.

Muleskinner1111

one of us
posted Hide Post
Or if you do carry electronics, remember to use it! I left the bike at a certain location, thinking I'd GPS my way back to it through some thick stuff (route finding). When I was halfway back I realized I forgot to GPS where I left it. Luckily it was in a pretty strategic spot, and using another waypoint I found my way back, and exited within two hundred yards from the bike.

Also remember to store your kindling in a dry location. Just yesterday, I had to bail out a camping family that couldn't get their soaked firewood going after a night of rain. The waterproof matches quickly ran out. Firestarters work a lot better than the puny shortlived flame from a single match.

But that's all off topic, sorry.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Moleskin!

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bottle of Stones Green Ginger wine and whiskey

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A long handled spoon (at least 7" OAL). If it's going to be plastic, make sure it's heavy duty.

A long handled spoon makes it a lot easier to thoroughly mix boiling water into your freeze dried meals and eat out of the pouch without "wearing" your food.

quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyCojack:

I've never had that before. I'll have to give it a try.

I sometimes carry a small flask of Austrian Stroh Rum '80'.

Remember! It's 80% pure alcohol (that's 160 proof) but goes down surprisingly smooth. It can really sneak up on you and kick you in the ass if you're not careful.

It makes a nice hot toddy before hitting the sack.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Heading to Arctic Red in 6 weeks for a Dall.

Along with the usuals, I will bring a fine Cuban Victory cigar!

Good hunting

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
A Leatherman ,Gerber Multi tool or similar piece of equipment ..Along with the 2 different knives you have on board .... A high quality folding saw is Real handy also

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Johnny, I've done some more research into the "Whisky Mac". Do you pre-mix and carry in a flask? What kind of whiskey do you prefer to use in the "Mac"?!!!

Another recommendation..... Go-Towels.

These are sometimes referred to as "goat towels".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Right on brother. Reminds me of good times.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
DaMan,

Im quite partial to a glenfiddich or a Chivas Regal scotch's. depends, either try to take a bottle of each.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A Flask of Peaty Single Malt Scotch, and a S&W 4" 44 Mag, with extra ammo, including some Seer shotshells, just in case you see some grouse, or other edible small game. Big Grin

Where hunting them is legal, of course.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Yeah I'm with 450, maybe a bit of Glenmorangie by way of a Madiera wood finishing drum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with xgrunt on scentfree babywipes. After a day of hard hunting they make a guy feel more human and can really lift the spirits, not to mention keeping scent somewhat under control.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a back without $20,000 worth of titanium in it

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Meat sacks!

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For fire starter, I cut strips of an old bicycle inner tube into strips about 1/2" wide and about 3-4" long. I carry 'em in a zip lock bag with my water proof matches and a roll of flourescent flagging. To make a fire, put 3-4 strips on top of your tinder then put more tinder/small sticks on top and light the strips. These things will burn wet or dry and will get damp/wet wood burning. Try it at home first. I never go into the bush with out this little packet of strips in my packboard.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Space blanket (the tuff heavy duty ones). I never go without one. Use it to cover up when it's raining, use it to sit on, use it to cover up when napping. I typically use it for a ground cover when sitting up the tent or to cover up pack or gear.I always carry cloths pins to clip it closed around me, with candles for heat if truely in survival situation.
Some times I carry two, there just so useful.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Dry Socks, and the victory cigar came in very handy

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
Headlamp and of course, toilet paper!

Plenty of leaves and grass in the woods! hilbily

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
trash bags

can be used for a lot of things from trash containers, to waterproof sleeping bag/clothers wrapper, to emergency pancho

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
trash bags

can be used for a lot of things from trash containers, to waterproof sleeping bag/clothers wrapper, to emergency pancho

Yup! Trash bags! Always good to have along.

Be sure to get the extra thick 3MIL 42 gallon "contractor" type bags.

Here's the spoon I settled on. The REI Ti Ware long handled spoon. Perfect for freeze dried/boil bag stirrer and eating utensil. Reaches the bottom of bags and pots without getting you fingers in the food. (Remember the 4-F's! of dysentery) Wink

$10 from REI.

One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
The Allen key that fits my action screws & the one that fits the scope clamps, no weight to tape down somewhere, & an old bullrush seed head for fire starter.

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Latham:
The Allen key that fits my action screws & the one that fits the scope clamps, no weight to tape down somewhere, & an old bullrush seed head for fire starter.

Steve, what size Allen key do you need for the action and ring screws? I think I've got a better solution.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack, Great Ram. thumb

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote