New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swazi gear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How many of you are using Swazi clothing vs. Sitka or some other premium brand? Your thoughts on it for coastal mountain use?

Any thoughts on something like their Tahr or One Tough Brutha anorak along with the Tough Mutha pants? I have their catalog but haven't tried any of their gear yet.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I use the Swazi Wapiti coat and prefer it to the Thar Anorak as it has pockets and when heating up one can open it fully.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good points. I'm not sure if the anorak style is what I want as I have always used coats. I'll have to think about that.

Is the Wapiti made of material suitable for rough use like going through alders and brambles or does it tear with that kind of use?

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
I got a Wapiti Anorak for the reasons Ozhunter stated,about a month ago and i'm very happy with it so far.

Both jackets are make of Gore-tex,i have heard from a few people the gore-tex is not that hard wearing,things like brambles will be very tough on the gore-tex.

Me wearing Swazi last week.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that report. That's what made me ask the initial question about the beefed up models like the Tough Brutha and Mutha designs.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I have a four friends with the Thar Anorak that wished they had the Wapiti coat but at the time $ were the deciding factor.
Five of us spent the extra $ and bought the Wapiti Coat.
As a Gortex coat they are quite tough.
The Anorak is a little lighter in weight though.
The two models you mentioned have come out since I was buying so I don't know about them, sorry.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
All the Swazi gear is alot cheaper in the U.S and Austrlia bewildered

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who sells it in the US? I thought it was only distributed in NZ?

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
It is a lot cheaper to buy from Swazi website,which Swazi will not take orders from N.Z

Wapiti coat is about $650NZD in the shops here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, the catalog has an insert for US retail prices but you still have to buy from Swazi direct. FWIW, for there to be a dealer here in the States they would have to pay extensive import tariffs. That may not be a big deal on cheap Chinese t-shirts but on Swazi gear it would be a real killer.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Top Predator . . . . off topic, but

That is the most interesting landform where you are standing. Is it natural or the result of modification?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Louis,its the way the rain has washed the ground away,ill try and find a better photo and PM it to you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Tahr, over the head smock / anorak.

I like it. When you are climbing hills, you do not sweat loads. It has a front zip, so you can really open it up for ventillation on warm(ish) days.

I ts ia bit scratchy / noisy when crawling through heather, but it is not too bad. My waterproof gaitersmake more noise.

I would not expose it to briars, the same for any goretex type material. Those conditions suit waxed cotton and/or a JCB!

(A JCB is a type of mechanical excavator / civil engineering back hoe and bulldozer construction plant)

I think the new one tough etc version of the same styles would be better for abrasion resistance.

I do have one problem with the Tahr though. I am left handed and shoot from the left shoulder. The Tahr has a pocket over the left breast, which I sometimes 'snag'.

It is not a big problem though when stalking: slower, more deliberate movements. However, rough shooting - rabbits or driven shoots within woodland, where fast gun mounting is needed, I think it would become irritating quickly.

I recently went over to a NomadUK stealth fleece smock. I think this is better - quieter, no left breast pocket etc. And it is about the same money as the Swazi jackets here in the UK.

I would wait until the newer version of the NomadUK stealth fleece smock is available. The new ones have 'cured' the fleece piling (?spelling) problem of the older ones. Having saidthat, mine is not too bad.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yukon Delta,

I have quite a bit of Swazi gear. I bought some while in New Zealand on a hunt and then purchased even more from the Catalog about a year later. I am very pleased with all of it. I hunt in it about 40 to 50 days per year and have not had any problems at all.

Doug

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the additional replies. I'm still stuck on the fence between the anorak and jacket styles. If I could have the anorak without the hassle of putting it on and taking it off and it didn't overheat...well, that's the one for me. Roll Eyes However, it sounds like the guys who own the jackets are real happy with their water protection.

One of Us
Picture of Breith
posted Hide Post
Hi
I've had both the thar and the wap coat (untill my thar one got stolen, go figure)

I would go for the wap coat, i personally think it's more versatile, with a few pockets, the ability to open it all the way when you get warm and a few other things.

That said i still wish i had my thar anorak. Always seemed like it was easier to throw that into a backpack, compared to the wap.

Regarding the waterproofness, i have never had any problems with either.

I wouldn't want to walk throuhg to many brambles with them, but as robthom said, the best thing for that is a JCB.

Posts: 36 | Location: Denmark - | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Breith. That seems to be what everyone says so that helps me.

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
've been using a Wapiti & Bibs for yrs but if it starts to get real wet out the Peter Storms get the nod. The fleece stuff is great but runs a little small so order 1 size larger.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about it nor seen it...Looks like stuff from the first world war.

I do like my sitka gear!

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Swazi Wapiti coat 2 years ago at the Reno SCI convention. It's a heck of a coat, well built and so far very tough. It's a bit heavy (bulky) for backpacking, but for day hikes or if your not living out of a backpack its great. As always the secret to clothing success is to layer.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
YD, run down to Wiggy's-Alaska! and try out the Sitka Gear, it's aworth a look see. I've been using the mountain pants and shirt for 2 years now and am very pleased with it's performance so far. I received the 90% jacket for Christmas and have been wearing it this spring chasing brown bear so I can't really tell you much about that until i use it a bit more. Talk to Marc and ask him about the Sitka Gear, he only sells what he believes to be the best gear and uses it on every hunt.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard good things about the Sitka gear. I'm out of the state until Aug. but will keep that in mind.

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
By the way Bryan, got those books and dvd's, they are even better than you described.....thanks!!!

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad you found them useful.

one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
I have an Anorak and bibs that I would sell if interested. There is a small tear near the cuff of the bibs pant leg O/W in great shape for 5 year old gear. I would sell because I'm a gear slut and just keep moving along among the gear choices, not because of a problem with the Swazi.
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM to Don.