New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sleeping bag & thermarest
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Last year on my sheep hunt in the Brooks Range, I really liked both my sleeping bag and Thermarest. However, I did have one issue with them that was very annoying. I slipped a lot. It was hard to stay on the Thermarest.

Does any one have a solution for this? Is there something that makes it easier to stay on the Thermarest?

Thanks!

Posts: 11983 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Larry, yep you are right, I used my Thermarest on a fishing boat in Alaska and fell out of the bunk. I'm a tightwad, so I just put the Thermarest inside the sleeping bag.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a little tougher to do when one is sleeping on the ground.

Posts: 11983 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Big Agnes bag. It has a pocket that your pad slips into. Works great for me.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can put a few dots of silicone sealant on your pad to make it slip proof.

I have tied the 2 together and that works until you need to get up during the night.

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Moore:
You can put a few dots of silicone sealant on your pad to make it slip proof.

I have tied the 2 together and that works until you need to get up during the night.

Matt

+1 on the silicone

Posts: 166 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Cloth tape or skate board tape strips.
Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Which thermarest Larry? They have many and some are more slippery than others. You can't beat the neo air for the weight though. I did a light weight option this year that is an X fraim that fits inside your bag. I bought it from Barney's. It isn't as comfortable, but I saved 12-16oz. I forget the name, but Barney's will know.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
+1 on silicone

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.
Razz

Posts: 42 | Location: Wild and Wonderful New Mexico | Registered: 12 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Some bags have little cord loops you can use to lace a pad to your bag

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a cot from Luxurylite.com. You'll never go back to sleeping on the ground.

Posts: 120 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel745:

Fits a backpack ? I'll go for it. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel745:

"The Mesh Cot weighs 3lb 12oz with 6 Twist Bows but can be used with only 4 Bows for a 3lb weight."

3 pounds vs. 12 ounces for the Neoair on which I slept like a baby.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the ultralite and it weighs 2 lbs. 12 oz. Everything has a trade off and if you are on a long range backpack hunt perhaps the weight is not worth it to you. I slept on my neoair the first night on a spring bear hunt on the Alaskan peninsular, on frozen ground, and was cold all night. The second night I put the neoair on the ultralite cot and slept warm as toast and no rocks or lumps to deal with. I'll do without something else and keep my cot. Different strokes for different folks! Admittedly, I'm from S. Fla. so, unlike Frostbit, am not used to the cold.

Posts: 120 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do alot of back pack hunts in the mountains and the best system I have used is a waterproof mummy shaped bivy with a mummy shaped air mat and a light weight mummy down bag.The bivy keeps the mat and bag in place and you don't have to worry about the down bag getting wet.You can use this system on its own or in a tent or under a tarp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a (Luxurylite) now Thermarest Ultralite Cot on a CO elk hunt this past October. We hunted in 12" to 15" of snow so, needless to say, it was cold in our walled tent (our stove was burned-out and was not used much since we couldn't get it to draft properly). The cot keeps you about 4 inches off the ground and using the cot along with my 0 degree sleeping bag, I slept nice and warm. I'm warm natured so, it was plenty for me but, a light-weight pad would probably add a bit of warmth for those that sleep cold. It is very comfortable and I will not camp (hunt) without it again.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try some of the Rubbermaid rubbery mesh designed for kitchen drawers to keep everything from sliding around.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on big agnes. you can even slip a thermarest into the pocket if you like. although the SL insulated pads are super light and very comfy. I have the SL blackburn and its awesome.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
velcro works .

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote