Notify
Tools

Backpack on wheels
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted
Hi Folks.

I have this hair-brained scheme to construct a single wheel backpack/draw cart arrangement. It will have a normal backpack frame strap on my back but instead of the pack being on my back, it will be on a frame with one wheel and a drawbar attached to the back frame. The idea is that the load will be below the wheel line and the back attachment point. Now I have 'invented' lots of things that are already in existence. Any experience with such a device? Proven design concepts?

My theory is that it will be able to go wherever I can walk and having only one wheel it will be stable on sideway slopes. It should place two-thirds of the load onto the ground and allow free movement and have a rifle scabbard on the drawbar.

The drawbar would need to be attached ta a point between the shoulders to prevent bouncing and to keep the weight balance low and to keep the device short (that is, close behind).

A consideration is that the shape of the frame would cause it to slide on the frame when going down-hill. (Otherwise it could be a bit hair-raising!) This might require the wheel to be swung up or the draw point to be shifted to the hip.

Does this sound crazy or do-able? (It is do-able, but in the mountains and bush?)

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Somewhere out there there is a device not much different than you describe. I saw a picture on one of the web sites, b ut not sure which one.

I could see something with light weight flotation tire, or about 20" bicycle tire would be perfect.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've thought about that one too. It would have to be something that you could actually wear like a normal backpack on rough terrain. Show us a pic when you're done. I'm working on a better fly shelter right now.

the chef

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
The bicycle wheel is exactly what I had in mind. But a "light weight flotation tire" sounds interesting!
quote:
It would have to be something that you could actually wear like a normal backpack on rough terrain.
Good idea! Thanks. Now to figure out how to do it. Mmmm.... bewildered

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought a hand cart would be a great idea too but any thing with a wheel isn't legal in any of the offical wilderness areas in the US.

Posts: 19394 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, I thought it was the land of the free! Apparently our no quad rules aren't as bad as I thought. PD that rule really surprises me, are you sure you can't even use a game cart?

cheers

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
Wow, I thought it was the land of the free!

In this case we who enjoy hunting in the wilderness areas are "free" from ATVs, mountain bikes, etc. In non-wilderness public land areas ATVers are "free" to use their vehicles on established roads. Most keep on the roads, but there are always jackasses who motor on closed roads and off road.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yep any thing with wheels are not allow in areas that are offical willderness.

Posts: 19394 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I can understand some of the wheeled contraptions would be a pain in the azzzzz. Mountain bikes hurtling through the air would be unpleasant.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
And there we have it! Thanks for that DaMan. That is the kind of thing I had in mind. beer

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good idea , would need a bigger wheel for wet ground and heavy loads ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to "test drive" one of these, it looks like it might be pretty handy...... depending on the terrain.

Maximum rated pack weight is 50#. I wonder how this would work in combination with a "regular" back pack?

In the video it appears to negotiate mildly rocky TRAILS pretty well. But I'm thinking that severe terrain/low dense brush might be a problem.

I don't think it would be practical for me because I do a lot of "boulder scrambling". But I would like to hear reports from those who have actually used it.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
This is what I used this past weekend.

It was drawn via a waist belt with appropriate padding. It exercises a different set of muscles but works great and carries a heavy load. (It can carry a human but I wouldn't want to pull him uphill). It will not work for "boulder scrambling". On a mild incline I did not notice it but when it got steep I had to pull hard. I also had to be careful where I put the wheels but I could turn and grab the draw bar to stabilize it. I actually hunted with it (before we reached our camp site). But the "Dixon Rollerpack" is what I have in mind. The single wheel should mean it can go wherever a human can walk or even scramble.

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking about a cart that balances in the middle with a little longer handles for better control. Plus i would set up brakes that work if you don't hold the handle. Just my thoughts. Dan

Posts: 201 | Location: Mackenzie BC | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
This one was like that. It works fine and was used to carry a Red out but one had to pull it by hand. With the mods as it is now, the wheels are a little further back and the front wheel added with the hinged drawbar that gets attached to a padded broad belt around the waist. It does work a different set of muscles but it is great to pull hands free. It did fall over once and it does get suddenly very heavy up a steep incline but going home again was a breeze - all down hill. I did think of a hand brake then and I have thought of a break that releases when pulling just like you suggested. There is a place for one on the front wheel. I should update the picture - I have painted it 'cammo green'. It still gets to carry my regular backpack and sleeping gear on top, strapped on. Heavy stuff like food and water go inside it. (Even the odd beer but I don't need much beer on trips like this - nice to have a bedtime wind down, though). The reason for the third wheel was to stop the rocking when one walks. I did try an arrangement with shock absorbing springs on the end of the drawbar at the belt attachment. That worked too but is limited in the weight balance it can take but can be perfected. I was originally planning to attach the drawbar to a high mounted backpack like arrangement with a yoke to allow full freedom of movement. My next trip – tomorrow - is for a few days.

I am now thinking of a ‘flat bed’ type four wheeler with smaller, fatter tyres than one can simply load all our regular packs onto and can pack into the wagon or boot over the rifles without the need to take off the wheels.

Regards
303Guy