New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kennetrek Mountain Extreme 400
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone know where/when to buy these with any kind of discount? Nice boots, but $450? Surely they go on sale at some point.

Posts: 487 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a good used pair on ebay about a month ago for $180.00. Just broke in good.

Posts: 90 | Location: Mishawaka, In. | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought mine from Amazon for $400 shipped. Great boots so far.

Posts: 10182 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They will be available in their booth at SCI for the regular price, but they throw in a pair of their $75.00 gaiters if you purchase at the Show. This per my conversation with them at DSC. Tried some on, fit great and seemed quite comfortable, but like you mentioned the price is really up there, huh?

Larry Sellers
SCI (International)Life Member
Sabatti "trash" Shooter

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried them on at DSC too. Awesome boots, but choking on the price a bit.

I tried on some Cabela's Alaskans, made by Meindle over the weekend. They felt pretty good too and $100 cheaper. I'm still trying to decide.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gs - What are you planning on using the boots for? I need a pair for an Alaskan Moose hunt, no climbing and such, but need the high tops, waterproof and maybe the insulated ones for this. I am tooooo old and don't plan on climbing hunts anymore so don't know about the $$$ outlay either.

The Cabelas Tundra, boots with waders that roll up and down have been recommended for this trip so may look at those. Not near the boot the Kenne's are but might fit the purpose better?

Larry Sellers
SCI (International)Life Member
Sabatti "trash" Shooter

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had mine for 2 years, and they still look new after 2 trips to Alaska. I lucked into them...someone had them on sale for $279, and there was a $100 coupon on the web on top of that. Great boots.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
gs - What are you planning on using the boots for?

My old Danner Pronghorns are on their last leg, so I'm in need of new boots anyway.
I have a New Zealand hunt in May for tahr and red stag and thought this might be the excuse I need to get a more substantial and technical mountain boot for additional hunts. My bucket list also has west Texas aoudad, ibex from somewhere, Alaska sheep/goats etc.

I had reconstructive lower leg surgery about 20 years ago after a compound double tibia/fibula fracture that left me with some range of motion issues with my foot/toes. I'm starting to find that in really rough terrain, a good solid and stiff soled boot has been a big help.

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
gsganzer,
What size do you need? I have two pair, one was too tight so I went to the next size and the new ones fit like a glove. I bought the first pair from Kennetrek on the sale page. They are still good, not new but in excellent shape. PM me about details, you might be surprised.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
gsganzer, sorry the 11's would not work for you. I have both uninsulated and insulated extremes as well as the Desert Guides. After many years of using them, they still feel good and work well. Good boots. Anyway keep looking, they are worth it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased the uninsulated version a couple of years ago and figured I would buy the insulated version if needed; after two years of hunting in Alaska and Wyoming I have still not had cold feet with the uninsulated boots.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hook - Thanks for that bit of info on the uninsulated version. Will take another hard look at them at SCI. You know my plans for them so glad to hear you really like them. Will you be in Vegas next week? Later

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti "trash" Shooter

quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
I purchased the uninsulated version a couple of years ago and figured I would buy the insulated version if needed; after two years of hunting in Alaska and Wyoming I have still not had cold feet with the uninsulated boots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Larry. No, I can't make Vegas; I have a limited amount of vacation and I am using most of it going to Namibia this year.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I should add that I do wear high quality socks which probably contribute to my feet staying warm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hook - Could you expound on the type/brand of socks you were referring to when you get a chance. Will take several pair of socks with me to SCI for trying on the Kenne's. Thanks

Larry Sellers
SCI(International) Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Shooter

quote:
quote:

I should add that I do wear high quality socks which probably contribute to my feet staying warm.

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of the uninsulated ones on Amazon this summer. Since it was my first time purchasing footwear from them, they gave me 25% off. I saved about $100. Great boots!

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Larry, for what it's worth I wear Bridgedales with my uninsulated extremes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
You might also try "Lorpen" socks. I have a few pairs that I bought on Camofire for a good price.

It's amazing how much difference a good quality sock can make. Some of the Lorpen socks have varying density, giving you padding/insulation where you need it and staying thin where you don't need the bulk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Larry, I missed your latest post. I use the heavy weight Smartwool socks if it's cold. Personally I prefer their over-the-calf socks versus the crew socks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just reciently a good friend gifted me a pair of Kenetrek Boots, I chose the Hard Scrabble Hikers. They are made in Italy.

I have only worn them around my property to break them in.

So far I like them.

As to socks, for the last 35+ years or so, I always wear 2 pair of socks.
A thin liner, either poly or wool, and then a thicker wool sock.

Does not matter if it is 20 below zero or 120 degrees.
I used this same system for my work footware for over 30 years, every day.

For the last 20+ years or so I have used the Smart Wool brand, and been very happy with them.

I wear some sort of boot 100% of the time.

The last time I wore shoes was when I was married in 1982...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of Zamberlan Vioz GTX Tops from Lathrop and Sons. The fit is incredible and works perfectly for my foot. Unfortunately, they're shorter than I expected and I'm exchanging them for the taller Vioz GTX boots so I have some better ankle support in the mountains. I expect the fit to be equally as good, just taller. Steve and group at L&S have been great to deal with.