New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kifaru packs/tipis
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody here tried/use these packs or thier tipi's? I am pretty well read up on thier forum but wouldn' mind an outside opinion.

Thanks
John

Posts: 30 | Location: SE Alaska | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Kifaru spike camp pack for about 10 years......very happy. Be sure to get the "shelf" really allows you to carry more weight than you want/should.

Also have the 8 man tipi and the shelter/tarp.
Used the 8-man on an Alaska moose float trip. The small wood burning stove allowed us to dry out every night.

The 8-man does have a big "footprint" so finding a suitable campsite is a requirement.But being able to stand up is a real luxury. You will get some condensation, but if steup correctly, in just runs down the side onto the ground...not a real problem.

Used the shelter/trap on a Alaska backpack sheep hunt...very light, works well with hiking poles, and enough room for one guy and his gear. Allowed us to break camp every morning and follow the sheep. We were successful on day 4 and then I found out that you can actually load up 75-80lbs in/on the spike camp pack!!

Good products, worth the price beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have the Kifaru 8-Man Tipi with the large stove. I really like this combination. The ability to have the fire and dry yourself and clothing out really changes camping. Great quality and very well designed and thought out. I have the mosquito net which is nice to keep the bugs down.

From what I have read you might want the liner in AK or other humid/rainy locations.

Good luck.

Posts: 15 | Location: Mead, Colorado | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a four man with stove and love it. Think packable, heated, comfortable lodging at night with plenty of room. The four man is perfect for two guys and gear. I'm convinced it has prevented death or serious bodily harm being inflicted on a few hunts due to the fact that being weathered in for days at a time doesn't mean cuddling with another man like it did in my former tent. The other reason I like it is that I do alot of late season hunts where it gets dark at 4:00 in the afternoon. It sure is nice to eat, relax, and hang out with plenty of room.

The only thing I would do over again is just bite the bullet and get the liner from the get go. Condensation builds up overnight and can be irritating of you bump into in the morning. I have yet to get the liner though since it's expensive (like all their stuff) and it's hard to justify while sitting on my livingroom couch. But if I had a phone, a credit card, and guaranteed overnight delivery in october at 2500 feet, it would be a done deal.

Posts: 7 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been using an MMR lately, after using an EMR for several years.
Both of these are the 'Gen 1'types, and they are both great. I'll probably end up using the MMR more and more now I can cut back on the loads.

Best of luck.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I just got off my Mnt Goat hunt on Kodiak Island. I have the EMR. I am very happy with the Kifaru gear. The pack feels a little heavy empty. With half the goat and my spike camp in the pack it was well over 100 lbs. If you take the time to adjust it properly the pack sticks to your body like glue. It was supper stable on your back and hips. This was a huge plus on steep hills and in the brush. From my experience you don’t need the shelf unless you are carrying quarters with the bone in. We bone the meat out and put it in plastic bags in the pack. I try to keep non-edibles down to the cape and horns/antlers.
If you buy a Kifaru pack you need to get the gun barer system. It works great is supper secure and is lightning fast to deploy the rifle. Keeping both hands free was a big plus in some spots. Note make sure you take your repair kit with the plastic buckles. The airlines managed to break one of my quick release clips on the main pack straps. Luckily I was able to repair it with 550 cord and electrical tape.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
If you want to see a pic of one realy loaded down I have a post on my hunt in the Alsaka hunting forum. Just for size relation I am 6'3".

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote