New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kelty Products
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone used Kelty products, such as their packs and sleeping bags, etc.

What do you think of them?

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
I have a kelty tent that's been working great for a few years now. I'm very happy with it. Haven't used their other gear, though.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had the same Kelty Quattro Mountaineer tent for 17 years and am looking for a repacement finally. Nothing else even comes close!

Why? Four equal length straight aluminum poles (no sorting in the dark, snow and wind), continuous length pole sleeves (no tedious and endless threading and hang ups, no tiny plastic clips that freeze and break and require bare hands) and pole sleeves that are only open at one end (marked w/red cloth, all poles can be threaded from one side, 4 less inserts to snap in). These are all little things that are immensely appreciated a -20 in the wind when you're setting it up with mittens and a headlamp! I've used mine all over AK and CO and only wish I'd bought two back in 1993. Many lesser tents have come and gone, but this is my go to tent and has made it through some really insane storms.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
40 years ago, when I was running rivers and backpacking all over the West, Kelty backpacks were the best available. I think I finally sold mine at a moving garage sale 20 years back and it was still as good to go as when it was new, hundreds of walked and thousands of flown and floated miles later.

Just reminiscing, I have no input on current Kelty products.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still have a 30 year old Kelty freighter frame and pack. Extremely dependable and never failed me.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Kelty day pack and a kelty fanny pack as well as one of their 3 man tents. For the price they are hard to beat in my opinion.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, I love this site.
Folks that hunt like I do,who would have thought?
I have had my Kelty back pack for over 20 years,hundreds of miles most comfortable pack I have used,excellant weight distibution adjustment straps. I prefer external frame packs because If I shoot an animal I can drop the bag and use the frame to haul meat out.

Posts: 51 | Location: Buffalo WY | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first real back pack was a Kelty Serac. I used that for so many sheep hunts I can't even remember. I haven't used it for at least 15 to 20 years. I counted my packs last year and I've got 14 now, but that holds the most memories. I might just "mount" it in my trophy room with a set of Rams horns in it.
That said, I have bought and used Kelty products numerous times through the years but not recently. Their products were top of the line, but I can't make that statement now, because I typically purchase other manufacturers lines now.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Kelty Cache hunter....it's a very good frame with an outstanding suspension. Good price too.

Posts: 111 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 13 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own some Kelty stuff. Unlike most of the guys here mine is all recent.

When you consider the price Kelty turns out some good products. The materials and workmanship are pretty good.

Having said that, you have to consider your usage. If it's occasional camping close to your car in nice camping weather then Kelty is great. If you're backpacking or in crappy weather then spend the extra money on different gear (Mountain Hardwear, Osprey, REI, Gregory, Marmot, Big Agnes, etc).

As far as packs, I've never owned a Kelty but I've tried on the new ones. They aren't as comfortable as other brands and they're heavy. Sometimes you'll find they use a lot of heavy material to make accessory pockets that you don't really need. But again, with the price it's not a bad deal.

The tents are the same way. I have a large Kelty tent that seems like it's twice as heavy as it needs to be. This is okay with me because I only bring a huge tent when I camp out of my truck anyway. I haven't used it in bad weather so I can't vouch for its water or wind resistance.

I have a synthetic Kelty sleeping bag (I think it's a 40° bag) that is heavy and bulky and has some spots along seams where the filler was sown in causing some hard lumps. It was only $70 so I can't complain.

Kelty does make nicer stuff, but at that price or a tiny bit more you can get other better brands. For instance they make a down 0° sleeping bag that's only around $170-180. You can expect it to perform like, and weigh a little bit more than 15° bag from someone else.

I think as long as you know what you're getting before you buy it then it's no big deal.
There are plenty of sites with customer reviews on all sorts of outdoor products.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kelty is top rated stuff, always has been. Lasts forever, and works the way it's supposed to.