posted
What kind of blister kit do you pack?

What do you keep in it?

TIA!

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I carry moleskin in my first aid kit. I never go hiking without it.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M70Nut:
I carry moleskin in my first aid kit. I never go hiking without it.

Me too!

But no treatment? I like betadine (or Povidone-iodine) and benzoin tincture.

Looking for the most compact/lightest kit components.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the tricks I teach my Boy Scouts is to wrap Duct Tape around a water bottle. At the slightest hint of a hot spot, tear off a piece of tape and apply to the spot. Directly on the skin. It can also be placed in the boot to cover a rough spot.

Posts: 33 | Location: central PA | Registered: 21 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I carry Neosporin as an antibiotic for cuts and blisters. Having properly sized footwear goes a long way in preventing blisters. I haven't had a blister on my feet in many, many years but have traveled with friends that have had them and they didn't have anything to fix it, good thing I did or they would have been in terrible pain within a few days.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duct tape after making the area sticky around the blister with tincture of benzion is what I do.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Iodine and various tapes, duct or medical, work well. Drain the blisters and wash your feet first. Depending on the tape you use, you may want to stick it to your shirt first to tone down the adhesive with some fuzz.

I advise taking the tape off at the end of the day to let your feet breathe, dry, and toughen. Wet feet are soft feet, and soft feet get blisters.

Posts: 43 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 12 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wet feet are soft feet, and soft feet get blisters.

Amen, brother! Sweat or wet boots/socks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I get my blisters in precisely the same spot every year, I wash my feet, swab each area with aluminum oxide solution, then tincture of benzoin. Then I apply zinc oxide tape to each spot. On my toes I do this procedure around the toe to be sure the tape stays in place. Think of the procedure as pre-emptive callusing.

Hope this helps.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard the oldtimers say to urinate on your feet and let them dry....supposed to help prevent them in the first place. popcorn

the chef

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Ran (actually walked) up to Spanish Fork peak yesterday with 1/2 dozen Webelo scouts. Started at 5465' elevation to the summit at 10,192. That's 4700+ feet.

1. Didn't bring an extra pair of socks.
2. Feet sweat alot yesterday.
3. As long as I pulled my boots/socks to air both out when ever I stopped my feet did fine.
4. Was getting late coming off the top and the last 2 miles I pushed on through and my feet sweated even more leading to 3 blisters. One of the most painful experience of my life.

Keep your feet dry!

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Band-aid brand has a new product out for blisters that covers the blister and provides some cusioning.

I tried it a couple weeks ago during my annual summer trip and they worked well. I started the trip with blisters from an overzealous training episode using the wrong socks. My blisters were pretty much healed by the end of a week of heavy backpacking using the same boots.

They will be part of my backpacking kit (next to the duct tape and benzion) from now on.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabelas has double layered socks and I have never got blisters while using them.

Posts: 559 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I think you should always carry an extra pay of socks if you are gonna be hiking very far, make sure they are a wool blend of some kind. last week I hiked to the top of a big mountain, on the way up it was pretty warm and my feet got pretty hot and sweaty in my 400 gram insulated gortex danners, I began to feel what was surely the beginning of a blister on the lower sides of my big toe, stupid me I didn't bring and extra pair of socks however I did have some petroleum jelly mainly used if I get chaffing between my legs, you know baboon ass if you will from sweating too much and walking, I got to thinking a foot blister is really the same thing, I took my socks off and was seeing what would surely be a blister if I kept on the way I was, so I figured what the hell, I put an ever so light coating of petroleum jelly on the troubled areas, put my very damp wool blend socks back on and managed to finish my hunting for the evening and hike back to the truck after dark, I figured foot powders do the same thing, and it worked great, got back to camp with no ill effects and got up the next morning and hunted just fine

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry moleskin. I have noticed, however, that the moleskin product has changed. The adhesive in the current product is more apt to let loose and come off than in the old days -- say 23 years ago.

Since this topic is about blisters, I will share some off-topic information about blisters. I just completed a 35 mile backpacking trip in the Weminuche Wilderness of SW Colorado. I developed bad blisters on my heels during this trip, and the moleskin didn't help because it kept peeling off my heels. I think my problem was that my boots, through my own ignorance and treatment with the wrong leather dressing, had become unable to breath. When I hiked, my feet sweated and the moisture was trapped in my boot, causing my foot skin to soften (like sitting a long time in a bath) and the heavy hiking then caused my heel skin to rip. The moral of the story is to inquire what is the right dressing for your leather boots and use the right thing. I had used sno-seal (beeswax based) which does in fact waterproof boots but also clogs the pores of the leather and made my boots like wearing a rubber shower curtain. As part of the context, I had used these same boots 23 years before on the same route -- no blisters. The boots were certainly well broken in. Two pairs of socks -- inner liner of polypropolene outer heavy sock of wool.

I found that I was able to continue the trip without slowing down. I did avoid walking on tip-toes on steep upwards pitches, which was a little awkward. Also, if I bumped the back of one boot heel with the other boot while walking this caused great pain. But the heels did not get infected and I was able to complete the trip largely without any problems, other than a nagging worry that the heels might get worse or get infected.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wipe lots of petroleum jelly allover the feet, I almost never get any sort of problems.
Also Tea Tree products are amazing skin care.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
During basketball season I always wear two pairs of socks. Duct tape or medical tape works good when you do get blisters though, medical tape sticks the best.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
I'll echo what others have said. Cover any hot spot with duct tape or moleskin (I've had more comfort from moleskin). Keep your feet dry. When ever you stop, take those boots/socks/liners off and out to dry. Lastly, if you are on a multiday hunt, getting your boots wet is an emergency. Stop what you are doing, take off the boots, dry your feet, put on new socks and a gore-tex liner. You will need a fire that night to dry out the boots (careful not to melt them or the wet socks....the sythetic fiber mixed in with the wool gets melted and WILL hurt your tootsies), so stop hiking/glassing/hunting in time for the hassles/beauty/rejuvenation of a fire. With all that said, my biggest problem is what the feet are attached to....the ankles. Walking sticks and stiff boots have solved that problem.
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapntrav:
here's my answer to blisters
http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/productSearch.do?met...sLookup&searchArg=71

Have a similar product here in Norway, called "Compeed". I do always have these easly avaliable in the top of my back pack. Have saved a lot of hunts for me. When blisters show up, its easy to get big problems. Even serious infections. Frowner

*Treat problems like a dog; Take a sniff ..... If it can't be killed, eaten, or fucked? Just pie on it, and walk on!:-)

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
im no expert but i do have some expierence with this problem being a former Fleet Marine Force US Navy Corpsman with a grunt unit.
1. change socks regularly if possible

2. always be assessing your feet for "hot spots" which lead to blisters

3. blister care: clean effected area with anti microbial or just plain H2o if possible, good treatements include, wipe with benzion to make tape sticky (er) add mole skin over effected area, remeber to change mole skin when changing socks. Bnad-aid make a product called Blist-o-ban which is alike a rubber patch you place over the effected area and leave it on until it falls off, sometimes can take a few days

if blisters have opened clean, disinfect with triple anti-biotic ointments (does not have to be name brand just check the ingredients against name brands and this will same some money) add bandage of appropriate size. or you can use the blist -o- ban but these little rubber dressings can get expensive.

after the hike is over be sure to disinfect inside your boots with a spray like lysol to kill any other bacteria that may be left inside.

cramer brand athletic trainer supplies company used to make a greasy rub that you apply directly to your feet for lubrication, remember the best blister care is prevention and belive me i have seen some really bad blisters.

in a pinch yes duct / athletic tape will work be sure not to pull off any loose skin when removing the tape. if using duct tape or athletic tape do not apply tincture of benzion 1st since this will make that tape ultra sticky and you could just pull some skin off when removing the dressing.

just my 2 cents, hope it helps

also, i do not endorse 2 pair of socks, when your feet excercise they sweat and swell, if wearing 2 pair of socks your feet become really tight within the boots. you didnt buy them with swollen sore feet so i wouldnt suggest the 2 sock method but we all have our own ways of dealing with sore dogs.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Spenco blister kit.

good stuff

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Thin polypro socks for prevention. Carry Spenco, moleskin, and always have duct tape. The Spenco kit is top of the line if needed.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Moleskin, band-aids for blisters.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 460wby:
quote:
Originally posted by trapntrav:
here's my answer to blisters
http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/productSearch.do?met...sLookup&searchArg=71

Have a similar product here in Norway, called "Compeed". I do always have these easly avaliable in the top of my back pack. Have saved a lot of hunts for me. When blisters show up, its easy to get big problems. Even serious infections. Frowner

Compeed, change of socks, and a needle. I spend 5 minutes every hour changing socks, and the wet ones I tie to a noose of fishing line, the line attached to my belt. So I hang the sock to dry inside my trousers. Sounds weird but it does work even in the shittiest weather - snow, hailstorms and rain. If I should ever hunt in sissy-compatible weather conditions I could of course hang them outside my clothes, on the backpack or in the belt or something.

When I get blisters I sterlilze the needle with a lighter, and insert it 1/4 inch next to the blister and thus I make a hole in the blister from below This makes the liquid go out from the blister, and the needlehole will seal itself automatically because it is in living tissue. The only thing that goes into the tissue is a sterlized needle, no chance of an infection. Then, a compeed on that.

Need I tell anyone that I was in the infantry once upon a time? I know all there is to know about blisters.

Write hard and clear about what hurts
-E. Hemingway

Posts: 1723 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I have also found the "Compeed" patches great but had to find now here in Australia.
They are made in Denmark and are recommended to be used before the blister appears ( a dream).

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Spenco blister kit. good stuff
Yes!!!

I had a chance to perfect my technique when my son developed a heel blister the first day of football "3-a-day's" with a new pair of cleats. This was on an open (popped) blister on the back of the heel (I have drained my own as 700varmint describes above).

- Clean blister and apply some antibiotic cream

- Cut one of the brown knit/cloth adhesives that come with the kit, make large enough so it sticks but not too big. Round the ends to prevent snagging on the sock.

- Wipe the surrounding area w/rubbing alcohol to remove all dirt and oil (the single-use "alcohol prep swaps" work well and are easy to carry, CVS sells them)

- Using a Q-Tip apply a small amount of Benzoin Tincture (available in 1oz bottles at pharmacies, I had to call around but found it at a CVS, kept behind the counter) around the blister, large enough to cover the entire knit adhesive.

- Allow the Benzoin Tincture a minute or so to get tacky.

- Cover the blister with one of the moist 2nd Skin pads. Once healing has begun, moleskin could be used.

- Apply the knit adhesive.

- With an almost-dry alcohol pad remove any excess Benzoin Tincture, being careful to not dissolve any under the knit adhesive.

Considering he was a running back and safety and ran most all of each practice - this worked extremely well and healed quickly.

On the other heel which was "hot", and once the new skin on the blistered foot was "firm", we stopped this process, but used something that I swear by - TwoToms BlisterShield Roll-On (also sold as Sport Shield). It does not build up or get greasy. I BP a lot and use this on the heels and toe area susceptible to blistering. It also worked wonders on long marches for elephant and lord derby eland in Africa.

On a sheep hunt, I packed the essentials above plus a small foldable scissors in a Ziploc, took up very little space and quite light.

Spenco Kit: http://www.rei.com/product/121140
Spenco w/cut-to-fit 2nd Skin: http://www.rei.com/product/121078

TwoToms BlisterShield Roll-On: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___17994

Folding Scissors: http://www.rei.com/product/745494

Hope this helps somebody out there!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Bill -- thanks for the info. Two questions:

1. Is this the regime you would follow on an elephant hunt or similar tracking hunt?

2. Do you use a liner sock in addition to the roll-on and regular wicking socks?

Thanks.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Hey Charles,

I have had great success with the various Smartwool socks, including the Light Hikers and heavier when conditions dictate. I do not find the need for a liner, I understand and the concept is sound (the liner stays tight in place while the sock slides against the liner so the friction is off the heel), but like using Duct Tape as a preventative I had bad experiences with it with it in the past and avoid it now.

Once your feet get into "boot shape" for a particular boot cut, it gets much easier. I struggled with heel blisters for years due to calcium deposits, but at this point I can put on a new pair of Lowa's and go to town (make that the mountains!). This is why it sucks when the manufacturer makes a change to the boot, and why I have a "spare in waiting" at all times. But the trick is to not let your feet get out of shape!!!

For the ele hunts, other then my first one, I have not developed any blisters to treat other then a few small ones on the toes which a small Band-Aid wrapped around addresses. But I do take the Ziploc kit as described above - including the Blister Shield as well as my boots on my carry-on, and apply the roll-on each morning.

The thing about the guided hunts in Africa, is sometimes the terrain is different (perhaps sandy which can be a challenge, including walking the dry river beds), the pace is often quicker then what one is accustomed to (especially on the sprint back to the truck for some stupid reason I'll never understand, as everybody is so tired and thirsty, you sit around anyway so any time advantage is lost), and the heat can cause excess sweating. Again, for some reason I can now wear light leather boots and Light Hiker Smartwool's in 100+ degree weather and my feet do not sweat much. I think because I wear this year-around when doing the training hikes.

Unlike the "treatment" as outlined above, I hesitate to advise anybody how to "prevent" blisters - as unfortunately it is a trial-and-error process and everybody is different.

Regards,

Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I wonder if the roll-on does as much as a liner would?

I may have to give some of these things a try as in the past I have used band-aids and moleskin with varying degrees of success.

I can't remember who said it, maybe 500grains or Will, but I remember a post to the effect that the fastest you would walk in Africa was back to the truck. After 5-7 hours on a track it can wear you out!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote