New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good sleeping pads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen, a sleeping bag loses a lot of it's effectiveness if you do not insulate it against the cold, hard ground. Therefore, could you offer me some advice on good models/ makes etc.

I am a bit leery of the inflatable ones, they remind me of the seaside/beach too much. And I wonder how robust they are: the need to carry a puncture repair kit like a bicycle etc!

I have a Wiggy sleeping bag, and think it is great. I was looking at their sleeping pads, which seem to be of a different type and less likely to loose their effectiveness / be damaged by punctures.

However, I do not know how much they weigh and have not read any user feedback about them.

Thanks.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
I have been using a Wenger self inflating mat for almost a year and a half, the best thing I have find so far (and I ve been looking - and testing - for a good sleeping pad for some years to now)

Wide, long & thick enough (2 1/2 ") for my almost 200 pounds... I use (and used !) it all around the year in a range varying from -12C to 30C and couldn't be more satsified than I am Cool ... very comfortable indeed

Perhaps the only cons it has (if they should be consider cons at all Wink) is that inflation is not "that" quickly (some five minutes) and for a better thickness you should blow a few more extra puffs in it (just three or four deep breaths Wink ) ... also pack it back takes some time, since you have to pull all air out ...

Overall, I highly reccomend it ... its price should be something less than 50 USD

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Also, as Murphy's laws state Wink , whenever and wherever I use it, I carry a good and strong sealer (patch) with me, since nothing is unbreakable Roll Eyes (so far I didn't need to use these patches, but we never know ! )

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
Thermarest makes pads that are very popular with backpackers.
The PROLITE 3 is 20 oz. IIRC.
The PROLITE 4 is about 4oz. more.

I like the Big Agnes insulated aircore pad.
It is a air pad so it may not be what looking for, but it is very comfortable and lightweight.
21 oz for the 72 inch mummy style.

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat the Thermarest...I've got one that's 18 years old and never had a leak. You can punture them but it's hard to do and the seams are incredibly well sealed.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ridgerest.......bulletproof

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
I've been using a rectanglar Big Agnes Air Core (22 oz., 20"x72"x2.5" inflated, 4"x8" packed), with a ThermaRest Z-Lite regular (15 oz., 20"x72"x.75" laid out, 5"x5.5"x20" packed) under that for cold weather. Recently used it in an overnight low of 24 degrees F which has been mild for around here recently. Very comfortable and warm.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Depends on your wishes, but

- Therm-A-Rest
- Exped Sim Light
-Exped Downmat ( www.gecko-climbing.de for example)

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nightwalker uk
posted Hide Post
Thermarest base camp, yes its a bit heavier and bulkier, but a fantastic night sleep!

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried the dense foam pads, older thermarests, generic thermarest style pads, the prolite 3 and 4. The extra half inch loft and weight of the prolite 4 over the prolite 3 is worth it.A very comfortable sleep.

Posts: 132 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Thermarest or Exped depending on your budget. REI has some on sale right now.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
I second the pro-Lite 4 by Thermorest!!!

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote