New
Find
Notify
Tools

backpack/mtn rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you use as a mountain/backpack rifle?

I picked up a kimber 8400 in 270wsm with a leupold compact 3x-9x-33 for sheep/goat

I also use a stainless ruger 338 with the barrel turned down & bedded in a high-tech synthetic,total weight 7lbs with a compact leupold,makes a great packing bear rifle.

Posts: 39 | Location: Yukon,Canada | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington Model Seven stainless synthetic in 7MM-08, with Leupold M8-6X scope. Handloaded Nolsler 140-162 grain old style Solid Base bullets, over IMR4064.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger M77 Compact .308 with a Leopold Vari X 2x7 power scope. Also have a Limbsaver recoil pad to give the gun a little more length. The gun is small (probably not a good choice for larger individuals) but VERY lightweight and packs a punch.

MG

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,

Check out this thread from this forum...backpack rifles

The thread title isn't totally indicative of its content....I should modify it.....

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My back pack rifle is a Brwoning Titanium in 300 WSM, 6 3/4 pounds with a Zeiss 3x9x42, and Talley lightweight mounts. It is a dream to carry all day, like I am sure all the other lightweights are.

What I like about this rifle is the stock has a "sticky" feel to it, it feeds well, is accurate and the stock design fits me well.

Some people hate Browning's, this is my first one, and I like it. ( always used to carry a 9 pound 300 weatherby)

Posts: 186 | Location: langley,BC | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Rem. 700, McMillan Classic stock, Shilen trigger, Douglas S.S. featherweight barrel in 7mm Rem. Mag. with a 2.5-8 Leupold.

In retrospect I'd have preferred a heavier barrel but this has worked well for 16 years.

One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
sako finlight in 300win mag with compact 6x swarvoski, great feel to synthetic stock and light fluted barrel, a treat to carry all day!

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NULA Model 28 chambered in 270 WSM. With scope, just over 6 pounds.

One of Us
Picture of Firemann
posted Hide Post
Win M-70 Classic FWT 280 Rem, Bell Carlson Metalist stock, 3 x 9 Ziess conquest scope.

Posts: 34 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used several different rifles on backpack hunts.

And I mean true backpack hunts.

One was even a Chapuis 9,3x74R Double Rifle. Eeker

I was hunting black bear in Montana...

Did not seem that heavy when I bumped into 5 different grizzly bears...

Well actually we bumbed into 2, has one sneak up on us, and had 2 come into camp.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I have used several different rifles on backpack hunts.

And I mean true backpack hunts.

One was even a Chapuis 9,3x74R Double Rifle. Eeker

I was hunting black bear in Montana...

Did not seem that heavy when I bumped into 5 different grizzly bears...

Well actually we bumbed into 2, has one sneak up on us, and and had 2 come into camp

That would make you appreciate having "enough gun"

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MGA Ultralight in .375 H&H with a 3x9 Nikon Monarch scope in MGA lightweight mounts. About 7lbs. slung, loaded and ready for action. The brake makes it a nice shooter.

My other pack rifle is a 30-06 Weatherby Ultralightweight with a 2x7 Leupold mounted in Talley Aluminum bases and Alum. quick detachable rings. Very nice rig at 7lbs ready to go.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I plan on doing some tent camping/hiking(short hikes due to bad knees) this Spring and summer and rifle I will be carrying on these outings in the wilds of West Virginia will be a Mannlicher Shoanauer Mod. 1952, cal. '06, full stock, 20" barrel, and most likely will not use a scope. Area will be National Forrest or Fed. Wilderness area and no actual hunting, but just for peace of mind. We do have an abundance of black bears, and a few "crazies, pot heads," etc. and other than my ultra light spinning rod for trout, two man tent, cooking pot, don't figure I will need much else.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would carry a handgun, and extra ammo, concealed as well.

You can always have it on your person...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right about the handgun and as many around here, have concealed carry permit and for sometime now carry the Ruger Blackhawk Convertible 45LC/45ACP revolver-4 5/8" It's a bit on the heavy side, but stuck in side of pack where you can get at it not that bad. No buttons to push, slides to pull, levers, magazines failing, "smoke stack" jams, etc. Pull the hammer and pull the trigger and it goes bang. I believe it was Jeff Cooper who said when asked why he always carried a 45-- "because they don't make a 46!"

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wolfhunter 2
posted Hide Post
My light weight is remington 700 action, krieger barrel, mcmillian stock 3-9 zeiss in 280ai easy to cary really likes 150 gr swift schrocco mild recoil fun to shoot.

Posts: 155 | Location: mn | Registered: 08 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Rem.700 Mountain Rifle in a 7X57mm at a pawn shop this past summer. If I can get the stupid thing to shoot more than two shots accurately, I think it would be ideal. It weighs in at 7lbs.- 2oz. (I believe) with 6X Leupold scope.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
usually a Encore SS composite 243,308 or 300 win mag.depending on the outing. lately i have opped for a 94 AE in 444 if in timber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weatherby ultralight .270 w/ swaro 3x10x42 and tallys. 6lb 10oz. Not terribly light, but easy to carry, and fun to shoot.

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
N.E.450#2
Your story about the bears and your 9.3 makes a good point and is interesting but I can't belive you have'nt mentioned your K95 Stutzen .308. That is the perfect mountain/ backpack rifle.

I know you have wanted me to post photo's of my moutain rifle and I guess this would be the time.

Sorry guys let me play with this a little. It's 5 & 1/2 pounds without scope, Shoots MOA and is a 7x57R

Any guesses what it is?

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ak

That K 95 would be a very good mountan rifle.

As would be your 7x57.

After a few guesses you must shot how it works.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry a Blaser R93 prof. in 6,5x55 with a Zeiss 2,5-10x50 Victory for hunting reindeer. With a sling it weighs 3,8 kg (8,4 pounds). I consider this just about perfect for making steady shots, even from less than ideal positions, while beeing light enough to carry for a couple of weeks of hunting without causing any problems.

There is a saying that one does a lot more walking than shooting when on a hunt, but I think this is a ridiculous way of thinking. When hunting it is all about making that shot count on demand, not to walk around with the lightest possible weight.

The right weight for a rifle is different from one individual to the next, but shooting from a rest on the range is not a good way to choose a rifleweight in my opinion. One has to shoot when having som pulse, and from improvized positions, to find out how little weight is practical out in the field.

Posts: 91 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
I know you have wanted me to post photo's of my moutain rifle and I guess this would be the time.

Sorry guys let me play with this a little. It's 5 & 1/2 pounds without scope, Shoots MOA and is a 7x57R

Any guesses what it is?

NEF Handi Rifle? bewildered

Just joshing! Wink

It's a European made Kipplauf. But I'm not going to tell you the name of the manufacture.........

....... because I don't have a friggin' clue! bewildered

I wanted to guess a Heym....... but no........

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had my Blaser K 95 Stutzen to the range 3 different times.

I always shot it prone off of my hunting ack.

I have shot IIRC 6 different factory loads and one handload, with bullets from 150 to 180 grains.

This little rifle has never shot a group over one inch. I do not believe it myself.

I have killed a turkey, a wild pig and a black bear with it.

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Barneys Hunter pack with frame, and Remington 700 alaskan ti, in .280.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by DaMan

quote:
It's a European made Kipplauf.

Your defenatly on the track but defenantly not a kiplauf. Since you used the proper German term for the Kiplauf I'll tell you the German name for this system.( actully the only term for this system) It's called Drehverschluss or Drehvershlussbuchse.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I can't belive I misspelled kipplauf twice on that last post. I know my English spelling is the worst here on AR but I'm kind of proud of my German.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
A Tinkerer - That photo prity much tells the whole story. for the rest of you the larg lever on the right side of the reciver opens the action. The lever behind the trigger gaurd cocks and the button on top decocks. It's as simple as that. Ther is a takedown button in the mittle of the forarm that relises the forarm. Then the barrel asymbly unscrews for takedown.
Embedded in the forarm is a allen wrench that fits most everything on the gun and this design is adjustable for wear so it will neve become a problem with coming off face.

The one in the above photo is the larger size for magnums like .300 and up.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I'll second another up at the top and say my pick, for anything this side of elk, would be a rem model seven in 7mm08. My dad has a model seven in 6mm and that is one sweet little gun. Pretty accurate too.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
A Tinkerer - That photo prity much tells the whole story. for the rest of you the larg lever on the right side of the reciver opens the action. The lever behind the trigger gaurd cocks and the button on top decocks. It's as simple as that. Ther is a takedown button in the mittle of the forarm that relises the forarm. Then the barrel asymbly unscrews for takedown.
Embedded in the forarm is a allen wrench that fits most everything on the gun and this design is adjustable for wear so it will neve become a problem with coming off face.

The one in the above photo is the larger size for magnums like .300 and up.

SWEEEEET! Do you really have one of these, Akshooter? Eeker

Drehverschlussbüchse ab 6.490,00 € !!!!!!! Eeker

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes he does, I have handled it.

Actually, I nearly handled it to death...

It is one of the neatest, sweetest, coolest, rifles I have ever handled.

The balance is perfect.
With or without the scope.

Workmanship is excellent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And for only $Ten Grand you could have one too!

See the maker's website.

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a.tinkerer:
And for only $Ten Grand you could have one too!

See the maker's website.

Cheers
Tinker

I know this guy personaly - a nice guy and he does professional work!

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
scubapro-

I definitely believe you on the quality of your friend's character and skills.
The rifles look great!

also - on the linked site in your signature line, titanium gunworks --
I have drawings in one of my workshop notebooks of a front sight nearly identical to the battery-powered LED front sight seen on your website.
Very cool component there sir!
I wish you great success with marketing and selling them.
Great stuff!
I also have in my notes the use of a tritium lamp to power the small-diameter fiber optic cable.
Have you or the maker of that sight thought of setting them up with tritium?

Cheers
Tinker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sigh. Forgive me my reminiscences . . .

When I was growing up, Jack O'Connor (sadly, no relation, AFAIK) championed the .270 Winchester, and the Pre-64 Model 70 Winchester was considered the ne plus ultra of rifles ("The Rifleman's Rifle").

As a teen-aged "citizen" (Jack's term, not mine), I idolized him and hung on his every word.

So I cut lawns to earn the money to buy a (Pre-64) Mod. 70 Featherweight in .270 (do I date myself?), which I've had ever since. It wears an old Redfield 2 X 7 Widefield scope, and 20 years ago I put a cheap plastic stock on it (I still have the original wood stock). It's still an honest MOA (or better) rifle, even after — what — 6000 or more rounds through it.

I figured then, and still do, that it'd be the perfect mountain rifle, though life's whims and demands never let me put my hypothesis to the test.

I haven't seen much enthusiasm here for a historical giant — a garden variety .270 — other than from the wise and knowledgeable sage, Jon Beutler, who carries a .270 Weatherby Ultralight. Thank you, Jon!

Ah well . . . life progresses . . . things get better . . .

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Just finished mine. Remington Ti 30-06 with Talley LWT rings/bases and an old Leupold 2X7 I had in the safe. 6.5 lbs empty.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
B.L.O'Conner

I don't think your wrong at all. Before I had my Drehvershluss built I did most of my huntin in the mountains with a pre 64 fetherweight 30-06. Back in O'Conners day it was the best bet availble to the north American hunter. Here's mine

Scubapro - Yes Alois is a great guy and he is a very good friend also. Here is a photo of me hunting with his personal Drehvershluss. Besides being really well built, They shoot really well. This Gams I shot was 177 meters.

I noticed the link to your mountain climbing store. Is that how you know Alois? He stayed at my house the time he came to Alaska to climb Denali or more properly McKinley.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I think the .270Win is about as perfect as any cartridge can be for everythink except big bears. Kimber will be unveiling a new model next spring - the 84L. This will be a slightly larger version of the 84M to accomodate the long action cartridges - 25-06, 270, 280AI and 30-06. It will be a great addition to a limited market - backpack rifles.

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Whow - a few days not online and so, much traffic:

No, I know Allois from the business side as a friend of mine and Alois have made their gunsmith school together... I know about his favour of climbing... Mine as well - so my shop.

@Tinkerer: well, the LED-powered front sight is my invention. Thanks for Your nice words about it... No, as Tritium is radioactive I would have trouble in bouilding it into anything here in Germany - so... I was looking for a solution without harmfull material... If You like, we could discuss via PM or email as well...

Thanks Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote