THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    what about 3 season or 4 season tents

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what about 3 season or 4 season tents
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What tents do you guys use for backpack hunting--I have an old discontinued model that I've never used and I'll be damned if I can remember its name right now--It's a Quest or the model is Quest--the last two years I've used a light weight wall tent from Empire Canvas Works which is nice, but it's to much to haul in with the samll wood stove, so next year I'm planning on using my Quest or buying another one--I'm thinking it should be two man, so I can store stuff in rainy or stormy weather and lightweight, Cabelas has one that has me interested, again I can't remember the name of this one either--was around $125-$150---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have had a few tents over the years, but have never invested much in getting a really good one. For most of my hunting in the Kootenays, I usually just use a tarp! If it isn't buggy out (which it usually isn't in this area), or if your not in an exposed area, I'll sleep under a tarp any time. I prefer to spend my money on other gear.

My current lightweight 2-person tent is a Eureka Mountain Pass 2-Xtreme. Its a great little tent for the money (only about $199 CDN when I bought it 5 years ago). Its has good ventilation, and a door/vestibule on each side....a great feature for two big guys on a multiday trip together. It was a relatively unique design feature at the time, but just about every tent mfger makes them now.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Canuck on the tarp. I cocoon and crawl under a tree and pine needles and stay real comfy all night. Many times I have to cold camp since many or our areas are no fire zones so a tarp warms up and stays dry as well.
I have used a pop up mountaineer dome tent when hiking with my kids or friends but I don't like carrying the extra three or so pounds and since I like to move from one spot to another the tarp give more flexibility.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the GoLite Lair1 Tarp most of the time, and the Hilleberg Akto or Bibler Bipod the rest.

Tarps are so convienient...

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned and used quite a few tents over the years and currently have a Bibler Solo Dome, an original Chouinard Pyramid, a Kifaru 6 man with liner and large stove, a Paratipi plus an I.D. Event South Col bivy with I.D. Sylwing tarp and an I.D. Unishelter with original Moss-U.S.A. Wing tarp. I just gave my North Face 24 to my nephew, never liked it much and threw away my beloved Early Winters Light Dimension which was "wore to a nubbin".

I prefer tarps, tipis, pyramids and bivys for most uses, but, I also like a freestanding tent for some things. I am going to buy a Hilleberg, probably a "Tarra" for this purpose and have another bivy made by I.D. to use for winter camping with the elderly Chou. Py. These are now made by Black Diamond, I think, and are a very good winter shelter for one person; they are not as pricey as Kifaru gear which I find great, so far, but it is pretty expensive.

If, I had a place to dry it, I would buy an Empire Canvas tent and use a Four Dogs Ti stove with it, this is my idea of comfort in a base camp. For now, I will get the Hilleberg due to the glowing reports from so many people who have them.

If, they could sell their tents in Canada, I would buy an I.D. tent for solo, winter use as I am a huge fan of their gear after using it for some 12 years.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Empire Canvas tent also, it's great as a base camp, but to lug it into remote areas along with the small wood stove is just to much, eventhough it only weighs 17 lbs when you add the stove your up to 25+ lbs---we have drug it behind us in a sled, but even that is just to much of a hassle when in the mountains---but to use it as a base camp would be great and that's what it shall be relegated to now, thus my original question.....chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
csutton..take a look at Bigsky...They make a very lighttent if you don't plan to use it for snow.. http://www.Bigskyproducts.com

REI makes one that's cheaper,but weights more..
http://www.rei.com/product/47943133.htm

Posts: 47 | Location: North Pole Alaska | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Budman5--thanks for the link to Big Sky--looks intersting will check 'em out more later---I have seen the REI one---chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with your conditions such as weather, length of stay and budget, but, I will suggest buying an I.D. tent plus vestibule, if you can afford it. This stuff is superb, but, it is not "bargain-basement" in price. I am not too keen on 3-seaon tents of any make for hunting as storms such as that presently causing all the flooding near you are so frequent in the autumn season.

I would buy the MKIII, with vestibule, a dealer I have found very decent is Charlie Jenkins of http://www.bearriveroutfitters.org he is in Utah. He also handles Hilleberg and these two makes are my current choice in top quality backpacking tents. BTW, your honest appraisal of the Empire tents is a big help to me as I have been pondering one since last winter.

You might also look at Kifaru, but, it is expensive gear. I like mine and am happy I "killed" my bank account to get it as I think it an outstanding choice for hunting camps.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kutenay ---thanks and I'll check them out--

the tent is not so much of a concern for here in CA as the weather rarely rains on us or snows as our seasons start in July and usually are over in Oct and it's usually 80* to 100*--what hunting I'm talkin about is out of state hunts high in the mountains where snow and a good downpour is a real possibility----chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stay with a 3 season tent. the 4 season are designed for heavy snow load and weigh alot more. I hve a Walrus 2 man 3 season tent that I have probably slept a year in if you add up all the days, it is just getting to the point where I will need to replace it next season (the UV damage has finally taken its toll) it has been a great tent.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The four season tents I recommend are as light as most three season units from other manufacturers and the Hilleberg offers the option of using the fly only in moderate weather. I have yet to see a three season tent that will reliably function under a snow load and a hunting tent should be chosen to cope with the worst conditions you will encounter, not the average.

Another good choice is Bibler although I prefer the Integral tents overall. My Bibler has held up in heavy snowstorms in July on the East Slopes of the Alberta Rockies and it is the lightest model they have made. For real tough conditions, the Bibler Fitzroy is a "bomber" tent, although a tad tough to set up by one guy.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Mt. Hardware Tango 2....Best tent when the weather gets bad.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kutenay--thanks for the site I will check it out shortly--

some other info on the Empire tent--last year it got wet and we took it down and then moved to another area, but when we went to set it back up one of the guys pulled a little to hard at one of the top vents and it ripped and he did the same thing at a stake location--so a little care should be taken when erecting it--of course we were in a hurry trying to beat the rain and get out for an afternoon hunt, so that didn't help any and probably had more to do with the rips than anything else---I do like it as it's very light as canvas tents go and it's not really that hard to set up--I can do it in about 30 minutes including, frame, stakes and stove--I got the 4 man 18" wall one--it slept 3 of us with some gear(extra clothes), food(not worried about bears where we were) and stove easily---for cleaning I just hosed it off and hung it in my garage and put a fan on it and it was dry in an hour--I think if I ordered another I'd ask him to throw in some extra stitching at all stress areas)where the frame and stakes go---chris

One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by budman5:
csutton..take a look at Bigsky...They make a very lighttent if you don't plan to use it for snow.. http://www.Bigskyproducts.com

REI makes one that's cheaper,but weights more..
http://www.rei.com/product/47943133.htm

Thanks budman, that's the tent I've been looking for ( 2 person, 2 vestivule+doors and only 3lbs!)

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kutenay--the link doesn't work--just thought I'd let you know--chris

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Our weather up here is horrendous so a good waterproof tent is a must. I used various Eurekas and Sierra design for yrs but hunting sheep with black bears in the area takes the worry out of wearing a tent out. Then my sheep guiding took me to the nastiest terrian Ak has to offer and I went to Stephenson tents of Gilford NH. 3 man tent 3lbs and roomy WOW you could put it in your sidepockets but ,they were wet! Next up was the tipees,lite and roomy for sure but if you were in the clouds, you were really cold & wet. I'm using a REI and a Bibler now but plan on trying a MSR or a Hilleberg next. If you get weathered in for a few days a little bigger tent doesn't hurt. Jim

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a North Face VE24 for really nasty weather, but it is heavy, although very warm, spacious and great for high winds.

I used to have a tent like this which worked great including in the snow, but it started to leak badly after several years of use.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the big sky tents look pretty promising--may have to break down and get one--either the 1 man w/ 2 vestibules or the 2 man w/ 2 vesti's--chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris I have the two man BigSky ordered..I'll give you a heads up when I receieve it..I also have the older REI dome with the 2 vestibules It's a great tent for one guy ( 2-man tent )...but I'll save 1.5 lbs with the newer Bigsky....These small 2-man tents work great when all you have is a limited amount of Real Estate to pitch your shelter....

Posts: 47 | Location: North Pole Alaska | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
budman5--looking forward to your report and thanks again for the tip--these things weigh 1/2 as much as all others that I've looked at so far---chris