THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Making a mistake again... Need help - Pants

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making a mistake again... Need help - Pants
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have made the mistake of committing to another sheep hunt. I hate sheep hunting but love sheep hunting.

Can you recommend a pair of pants for a guy 59 that will be tramping up and down mountains, again?

I like pants that move with me and are windproof.

thanks

Posts: 10182 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
I would PM Brett Barringer. For a guy without OCD he is really anal about his gear and definitely knows what he is talking about. He also used to work at Barney's.

He also hunted with an ancient 59 year old last year for Sheep. So he understands the elderly.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I have made the mistake of committing to another sheep hunt. I hate sheep hunting but love sheep hunting.

Can you recommend a pair of pants for a guy 59 that will be tramping up and down mountains, again?

I like pants that move with me and are windproof.

thanks

1. Thou shalt only purchase pants with Schoeller fabric…………

2. There is no 2 see 1………

3. "But many of them are black mountaineering pants and I want cammo"………(insert bitch slap)…………SEE 1……

4. Integral belts are nice with a low profile clip buckle.

5. Reenforced knees or inside of ankles are good to minimize wear.

6. 300-400 gram pants are ok for warmer weather and would be ok cooler with thermal bottoms. 400-550 grams would be better for cooler without thermal bottoms or for a cold hunt with thermal bottoms.

7. Mountain Equipment, Mammut, and Arc'teryx would all be good.

8. Good pants might start at $200, but don't be suppressed if they're closer to or just plain $300.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
This looks about right:

http://www.mammut.ch/en/produc...anced-Pants-Men.html

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THANKS!!!!

Posts: 10182 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Kudu guide pants would be my choice. I love my Kuiu pants, as a matter of fact, I'm wearing a pair of Kuiu Attack pants as the moment.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat, when I saw the heading of "mistake" and "pants", I thought this was going in a whole different direction. I was going to recommend Depends :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Brett Nailed it. Get a pair of Mammut, awesome pants. It is all I will ever wear in the mountains. If I recall, they can be ordered in waist and inseam sizes, versus small, medium, and large. Whodda thought, makes pants that fit?

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
maybe not the best but works for me in our mountains : Cabelas Microtex, the insulated version works too not that bad ...

all the best and good selection.

Posts: 1739 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,
Depends are a help sometimes. Just not this time.
Going with Sitka's and Mammut Champ pants.
Thanks all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The real mistake would be hunting sheep in Levi jeans! They'd suck all the water out of the country and plunge it into a deep drought. The sheep would be forced to either die or move to better country!
I was 59, a year ago, on my most recent sheep hunt also. Funny, a bunch of old guys sitting around talking about pants. Classic!
Zeke

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Mammut Champs!!!

Nothing else compares.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sitka's are good and so are the Mammut's but if they get wet, they don't dry out all that fast. Actually, a pant that is cheaper, lighter, warm and dry quickly (and cammo) are the Cabela's microtex pants (the lighter version)work wonderfully and are a lot less expensive.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably not your normal sheep hunting pants but take a look at LL Bean Gore-tex Upland Game pants. The best $139 I've spent on hunting pants and I have a closet full. They are fairly light weight, extremely comfortable, warm and waterproof. On an elk hunt this past year we hunted in 12 to 15 inches of snow. I sat in snow for 2 or 3 hours at a time and never got wet. They are made for hunting in briar and have proven durable as well.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mammut Champs, hevy duty
Westcomb with Scholler fabric lite duty.

Brett nailed it the Scholler fabric is amazing.

Posts: 154 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote