Find
Notify
Tools

New knife with versatility
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
I'm seriously looking for something more of a survival knife than just a knife. Have any of you tried one of these, or have a similar idea?
link

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.chrisreeve.com Their Aviator would be a good choice .Top quality !!

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I would go with something like a RAT-3 in a custom sheath with a pouch for "gear" (firesteel, compass, etc) waaaaay before a knife with handle storage.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd put those things in my pocket-much easier to access. A knife is a knife, not a tool box. I never go into the bush without basic survival items and the least they weigh is probably 3 lbs or more.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a little ziplock bag that contains those items like some bandages, fire making stuff, etc. I don't want too many things on my belt as they interfere witt the hip strap on my pack.

If anything, a sheath that contained one of those magnesium/spark set-ups would be nice. But as one fellow recently told me, a few zippose hidden in various places in your gear (main pack, survival kit, day pack, pockets) go a long way.

In conclusion, I never cared much for those all-in-one survival knife kits.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I keep plenty in my pack. But, that's the point. I don't hunt all day with my pack on. I usually hike in set up and hunt from there, carrying only a fanny pack with the minimal equipment. I recently had my fanny pack tear open and things started falling out . This got me to thinking about a belt knife and sheath that would stay attached to ME in any situation.

I'm not looking for a "Rambo" knife, but what I really think is minimal is fire making ability, and a compass. Everything else is a comfort item. The saw back would mostly be for comfort and ease as a smaller knife to carry makes it harder to build a shelter. I've never had a saw back knife blade so I may decide it's pointless, but if you've never tried one how can you know?

When it comes to survival it's what is on your person that's available to you. Usually it's because you took a spill, fell into a river, lost, separated from your hunting party or some other situation that is not foreseeable. If you always carry everything with you then you'll always be camping and never have the need for survival equipment.

I've found a couple of knives that look like usable knives but the sheaths are usually pointless, or nothing more than a blade sleeve. I'm just wondering who if anyone, has found a way to address this situation.

I'm thinking along the lines of the one pictured earlier. Al Mar makes one called a SERE Operator that with some storage may serve well. Just trying to see what others may be using. I'm not interested in extras I carry in a back pack, but absolute minimalist type approach. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you always carry everything with you then you'll always be camping and never have the need for survival equipment.

No truer words were ever spoken!!! I always want to be camping if I have to spend the night out. It's a survival situation when your leg is broken etc. My folding saw, firemaker, signaling, and navigating stuff as well as cell phone and headlamp...........are never off my body. Usually in button flap pockets and or my fanny pack. If I wear a daypack/backpack the fanny pack is on top and I take it with me when I drop the pack. Not trying to hijack your thread-I just feel strongly about this stuff.

It can be the difference between life and death in the places we go.

the chef

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
quote:
If you always carry everything with you then you'll always be camping and never have the need for survival equipment.

No truer words were ever spoken!!! I always want to be camping if I have to spend the night out. It's a survival situation when your leg is broken etc. My folding saw, firemaker, signaling, and navigating stuff as well as cell phone and headlamp...........are never off my body. Usually in button flap pockets and or my fanny pack. If I wear a daypack/backpack the fanny pack is on top and I take it with me when I drop the pack. Not trying to hijack your thread-I just feel strongly about this stuff.

It can be the difference between life and death in the places we go.

the chef

EXACTLY! I had my fanny pack bust stitching and started to loose stuff. To me it would have become a survival situation, as most of my stuff is in my fanny pack.

I guess on the whole I just need to rethink my pocket items. But a knife/sheath combo with storage for bare essentials seems like it would always stay with you. The stuff in the fanny pack is for consumption while the "kit" would be used only in the worst situation.

Maybe not many people really have a "kit" and most carry stuff in a pack. I just don't trust it any more. Nate

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Google SpecOps sheaths.

They are more .mil but they are quality sheaths for a largeish fixed blade knife. A tad heavy though.

I have one for a Becker Crewman, but I dont carry it as much as I thought I would. Too much knife/sheath.

Another option is a custom Kydex sheath with a slot molded in for a firesteel. That is the best minimalist solution IMO. A knife with a few matches in the handle is a poor substitute for a knife with a firesteel.

Look around at knifeforums.com on the outdoor survival and custom sheath forums to see what is out there. A custom Kydex sheath could likely be made for you for less than $50.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote