Notify
Tools

My new daypack search is over
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I finally found a daypack I like.

I've been looking for a larger daypack to take on my Kodiak hunt this fall and didn't want to break the bank; something in the 1,500 - 3,500 cubic inches range.

I had some existing Camelbak packs that I use here in Texas - great for short hikes or carrying stuff to a blind, but not long hikes.

I bought an Eberlestock Team Elk Pack 2 years for my Alaska trip then - very disappointed with fit, comfort, and weight. It sure looked cool, though.

I did some research on the Kuiu, Stone Glacier, and Kifaru packs. All looked top notch, but I didn't want to spend that much money.

I tried on:

Eberlestock - about every pack they make
Badlands - ditto
Tenzing - ditto (like the 1500)
Cabelas - ditto
Alps - Pursuit X (liked it)
Sitka - Flash 20 (like it)

Today I went to REI to try the many, many packs they had and get fitted. After trying several brands, including REI, Kelty (the 80 L was awesome), and Osprey, I settled on a Deuter.

I selected the Deuter ACT Lite 50+10 (3,600+ cubic inches). It has a wide range of adjustments, is very light, and fits incredibly well - $189. I still think a top end premium pack like Kifaru, etc is the way to go for extended hunting trip where everything is on your back.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been looking for a larger daypack to take on my Kodiak hunt this fall and didn't want to break the bank; something in the 1,500 - 3,500 range.

cubic inch range I am guessing not dollars Wink

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
I've been looking for a larger daypack to take on my Kodiak hunt this fall and didn't want to break the bank; something in the 1,500 - 3,500 range.

cubic inch range I am guessing not dollars Wink

Actually it was gold plated with spinners Smiler Yes, cubic inches. Hunters and tactical think cubic inches, hikers think liters.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Internal or external frame?

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Internal frame.

Very light pack, under 4 lbs.

Definitely not a meat hauler. I'd want an external frame for anything that heavy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im searching for the same: internal frame, light, day-hunts. I have a Super Day but I find it cumbersome and a little heavy.

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised no one around here has mentioned Blacks Creek. They are actually made in America unlike most of the popular brands. I just bought the "Alternative" pack and love it.

Posts: 101 | Location: Somewhere between Canada and Mexico | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No need to mention any brand he had already made his selection.

quote:
I selected the Deuter ACT Lite 50+10 (3,600+ cubic inches). It has a wide range of adjustments, is very light, and fits incredibly well - $189.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
No need to mention any brand he had already made his selection.

quote:
I selected the Deuter ACT Lite 50+10 (3,600+ cubic inches). It has a wide range of adjustments, is very light, and fits incredibly well - $189.

Doublegun appears to be looking.

Posts: 101 | Location: Somewhere between Canada and Mexico | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that is a much bigger pack than I need.

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
I was on a similar search.

For the guy who wants to spend just a little more, check out the newest version of KUIU with the carbon fiber frame. You can put any of their packs on the same frame. Meat/load hauler is cheap add-on.

I ordered the ultra and the icon pro; settled in the ICON Pro with thicker material and more pockets for organuzation.

http://store.kuiu.com/packs-s/1819.htm

VIDEOS

Lightweight
http://youtu.be/Uz5uvtZfyq8

ULTRA lightweight
http://youtu.be/ll-YGWTyPZg

I also have two Mystery Ranch packs (heavier but super tough & bulletproof) and a camelback (the one made by Mystery Ranch).

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I was not a fan of the Icon Pro. I bought one as a day pack for an upcoming brown bear hunt. I returned it after a few days. Their gun tote was cumbersome, didn't fit me well (I'm a big guy) and it just didn't float my boat. A quality product just not for me.

I'm gonna take my Kifaru Timberline (7200/ internal) and just cinch it down. I plan on going external
when I return but will go with the Kifaru duplex system. Kifaru just has so many expansion options and is
built more sturdy. No doubt the Kuiu is as advertised- lightweight and a quality product, well worth the money, but I'm gonna stick with Kifaru.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too. I got tired (literally) of cinching down my multi-day packs trying to use them as day packs. The smaller day packs I tried were fine but still pulled on my shoulders with any kind of a load since the load lifters were poor at best. Finally, I'm done after trying a Tenzing TZ 1250 lumbar pack. I have loaded it down with the exact same gear I carried in my cinched-down multi-day backpack last year and the comfort level doesn't compare….and I still have room for more gear in the Tenzing. It is easy to adjust but, cinching it down is a bit clumsy until you get use to the strap positions. I love the pack and it will be going elk hunting in CO in a couple of weeks.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biggs300:
Finally, I'm done after trying a Tenzing TZ 1250 lumbar pack.

I like hunting with lumbar packs as well. But they only work for me when a downed animal is accessible by vehicle, ATV, or pack mule/horse.

The external frames that allow you to strap meat and antlers to your back are nice when you dont have those options.

How do you plan to pack your elk out?

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The pack has a rifle strap to the top of the shoulder that should allow me to strap and carry an elk quarter for a short distance but, we will be hunting with horses

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
I bought an icon pro last winter with the 1850 and 7200 ci bags. I didn't like the way the 1850 connected to the frame but have been very happy with the 7200. I have the pack loaded up now for an elk hunt next week. Hopefully I get to test it loaded full of elk meat.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote