New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mystery Ranch Pack
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi: Just curious about a Mystery Ranch pack frame with crewcab pack for sale on 24 hour campfire. What makes these packs worth $390 used?

Posts: 201 | Location: Mackenzie BC | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If, you ever used one to pack a serious load for several hours in typical BC conditions, assuming the pack was correctly fitted to you, you would soon understand why they are the best heavy-duty packs available, except a McHale full custom.

My fully rigged MR Crewcab, Daypack lid, twin Fliptop pockets cost me about nine bills delivered in Vancouver. I have several of their packs and consider them CHEAP for what you get.

If, you can get a MR NICE-CC in excellent shape for $390.00, it IS worth buying and they have the finest customer service I have ever seen. The harness and waistbelt can be changed out to fit different people and the whole rig is just a brilliant design.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You for the information. Dan

Posts: 201 | Location: Mackenzie BC | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Good day Dewey,

I am considering a McHale full custom Dyed 100% Full Dyneema MB-CMII. I'd get it fitted when flying through Seattle on a trip back to Canada.

If you were to buy a McHale pack for yourself, assuming a load vol required for a 1-2 week sheep, goat, elk or what have you type hunt, what would you choose?

Any reviews that you can point me to would also help. I have a video/dvd on it's way from McHale.

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan Mchale is a helluva fine man, he builds packs that are simply superb and I would get EXACTLY that model for what you want, no question.

If, you look on his site, as I am sure you have done, you will see that pack, dyed a neat moss green with brownish strapping. It belongs to a friend of mine, who bought it at my suggestion and it is what I would get for any serious backpack big game hunting, it will cost close to $1500.00 CDN delivered here and I am happy with the five MRs, one Bullpak and one Kifaru I currently have...but, that is one FINE rig!

Is it "worth" the money....is a Leica or Ingram skinner/caper set or Filson's whipcords or flawless custom rifle....OF COURSE! Smiler

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dewey. That 's a great story and super recommendation.

Most likely, I'll have one by next hunting season. I'll be hunting the willmore wilderness park for 14 days for mulies and elk while one of my good friends hunts sheep. He'll be glassing up high, me, mid to low, depending on weather Wink

If I do get this pack, it won't be until next spring, but I'd be happy to post pictures after field trials Smiler

Thank you again very much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Sweet Pea day pack and it is true quality and is all made in the USA. They also stand behind what they make! Can't go wrong with paying a higher price for quality and great customer service and support.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
I'm the guy that has that pack that Dewey mentioned. It was taken on a trip to SE Alaska this October for a goat hunt. It was awesome, and was up to the task with no signs of wear, and was and is very comfortable. I wish I had a better photo, but the weather outside was "frightful". It's an MB II green dyed, full dyneema, and it's pictured on Dan's website. I liked it so much that I bought a dyneema Windsauk McHale on ebey and sent it to Dan to refit (and dye green). The joke of it all was that I went from a 36" waist to a 30" waist working out for the goat trip. The hip pads almost touch. I really need to get that fixed, but the waist still gets tight, but just barely.

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool pic.Any more?

Posts: 193 | Location: Uxbridge, Ontario | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
I have a MR Crew Cab & wish I only paid $390 for it, mine is truly a great pack.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote