THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Is anyone interested in backpacking for a Buffalo?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is anyone interested in backpacking for a Buffalo?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am trying to organise a few backpack hunts in Zimbabwe in the badlands of Chewore North. Ther area is huge and rugged and not many people go back there. It is ideal for backpacking and is not any more expensive than a normal 7 day hunt except requires a special permit which is about $ 200.

Posts: 81 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't it be cheaper then a normal hunt where one as vehicles nice tents great food ect.

Posts: 19400 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Muvhimi - I looked into this a few years ago, but for elephant.

I'd be interested, but only with a superb hunter who knows the area well, somebody like Andy Hunter. Wink Big Grin

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muvhimi or Bill,
Excuse my ignorance but please enlighten me about this "trek" in Chewore. It sounds like a DIY hunt, which I think would be great. However, other that Cameroon I didn't think it was possible to outfit yourself for Africa. I know the learning curve is VERY STEEP, but what a trip!
By the way Bill, thanks for the great report on Masailand. I'm heading over there in November with Adam and crew to Lobo. I copied your write up and will use it for a go-by.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
p dog shooter - I hear what you are saying but the problem is Buffalo is a big seller so no operator wants to give discounts on any Buffalo hunts. Its an exciting way to really hunt if you have it in you - its physically demanding and certainly getting back to nature. Use it - don't use it but I love hunting this way.

Bill C - have you received your trophies yet.

Muvhimi

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yellowstone - Basically -this deal involves driving to a remote part of the Chewore and (backpacking with several porters) into the escarpment of the Chewore "Badlands" and camping out under the stars. It means bringing a small backpack and sleeping bag for your own personal kit, rifle and ammo.

There is a lot of walking and you will need to be fit. There are no frills or whistles as everything needs to be carried. My hunt involves climbing to a stategic point and hiking and glassing the area for a day or two but normally camping in the same spot for 1 or 2 nights before moving on.Its not 7 days of carrying a heavy back pack. I will have a vehicle on standby and radio + sat phone for the unlikely event of emergency.

If you have a pioneering spirit ( which many on AR seem to have) call me on 509 434 4498.

Muvhimi

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muvhimi,
That's the type of hunting that I've done all my life, spot and stalk and moving camp. I never was a horseman or a 4 wheeler type. What critters are you hunting, antelope, buffalo, leopard? I figure the local folks will eat most anything on the ground in pretty short order, so I guess you're packing out the trophy head. I'd like to think that I'm in pretty good shape for 58 years, but at least to stubborn to admit otherwise.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yellowstone,
We are hunting maily for a good Buffalo and any plainsgame species that we find and one requires. There are some excellent Bushbuck, Klipspringer,Kudu and Grysbok(as well as other species) in these areas. I would concentrate on the Buff and if anything else is bagged will be bonus (and eaten).

Muvhimi

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Muv - Sounds like a neat way to hunt buffalo. I had just sent a deposit on an August Dall sheep BP hunt in the NWT. I hope you are able to book some willing and able hunters. Maybe 07.

Trophies/tusks are in transit from Fauna & Flora to a local "USDA Veterinary Services' Approved Establishment" due to the warthog skull and tusks (note to self, next time leave the warthog behind). Shipping to F&F was only $785. Thanks again for your help and follow-through, I'll email you when I get them.

Yellowstone - Good luck in Lobo, I suspect you are going to have an excellent hunt and experience. Email/call me if you want to chat.

Regards, Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunted buffalo in Zambia (Dec 2000) in this format. Great experience. Quite challenging and rewarding. Must be in good shape. My PH was Derick VanStaden (munyazambia@yahoo.com)Highly recommended. Very professional. Gear that truly made a difference. Nimrod hunt pack and hennessy hammock.
A must do hunt in Africa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muhvimi,
I've got 2006 planned out, but please keep me in mind for 2007. Send me a PM or email and keep in touch.
Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yellowstone - no problem - looks like we may have sold the last 2 permits on this deal anyway.

E mail me on chipitani@zol.co.zw or chipitani@hotmail.com and I will make contact with you about 07.

Good hunting

Muvhimi

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
I'd love to do a hunt like this, but I am still not sure why the cost should be the same as the old five star tent scenario.

Surely there is some saving to the outfitter, and if there is then a proportion should be passed to the hunter. Otherwise the outfitter profit margins just got bigger, and the hunter pays the same but gets less.

Don't want to sound too critical, just wanting to understand how it works. African Hunting costs a lot of $$$ and I want maximum value.

------------------------------

Richard
VENARI LAVARE LUDERE RIDERE OCCEST VIVERE

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deerdogs,

I apologise for my late response but I have been travelling.

I think its a valid question but unfortunately its the way it is.Its important to note that this concept of backapcking is not new but is not common in Africa.This is sad as there are many areas that are very rugged and are perfect for this. Operators say they don't necessrily have to sell their Buffalo permits to folks like us - who want to hunt the real way. Their arguement is a Buffalo hunt hunt costs x dollars. How we market that is up to us. There are many folks out there who have done the luxury camp hunt, done the fly camp -tented hunt. This is an alternative and is certainly getting back to basics.

Our National Parks Authority have advised that they are not keen on these hunts as are very dangerous (and hunting isn't)and have added a "special interest Permit" cost which last year cost about ZW$ 10 million per person. 2006 rates have not yet been posted but we are expecting something in the region of about US$ 200 per hunter. These permits are in line with bow hunting for DG and leopard hunts with dogs.

To get back to your point - When you arrive in camp - the first night will be in a camp getting organised and the night before you depart is in a camp cleaning up and taking care of paperwork etc. I have had clients also want to spend a night in camp during the hunt in order to shower and have a proper meal although this is not always the case. Specialized equipment and extra staff are also required.

I hope we can interest you in this.

Muvhimi