THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Alaska dall - internal bp and trekking poles

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska dall - internal bp and trekking poles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for recommendations on an internal back pack and trekking poles for an upcoming dall & grizz hunt in Alaska.

I researched on here for the trekking poles and the Loki's seem to come highly recommended. There's several models and I'm not sure what to look for.

The back pack recommendations seem to be for those who are backpacking only. Mine will be a horseback with camp situation so I'm not having to spike out every nite. The outfitter, Bill Burwell, suggested a 4k internal frame backpack.

I don't know why, but the backpack seems to be a big decision for me.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
I Like External back packs personally, but if you want internals, look at Kifaru or badlands packs, great for sheep hunting.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going on a guided hunt and generally won't be carrying more than 50 lbs of stuff, try the Eberlstock J107, it will be a good choice and has a good scabbard for your rifle. On the Leki poles, you can't go wrong with any of them really depends on your preference, some prefer shock resistant poles with a little give, some do not, the shock resitant poles are a couple of ounces heavier is all.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I carry an Osprey Aether 70 internal frame pack and Leki Makalu titanium trekking poles while mountian hunting for sheep or goats. I leave a pack frame in camp in case I am lucky enough to kill either. 9 times out of 10 I fly in for my sheep and goat hunts and the other times I atv in, pitch base camp then spike from there.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'm going to make a list of these backpacks and go to REI and Cabelas and try them on. Again, thanks for all of your input.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Having just gotten into backpack hunting, I'm not an old hand like some of these guys, but I'm becoming very fond of my Badlands pack for backcountry hunts. I'm using a 2800, which is probably a bit small for longer hunts. Their larger version, the 4500, is bigger than I needed but was very comfortable to me during test fitting. I carried 35 pounds all over the hills last year chasing ibex and was fine. I was really looking forward to loading it down with a dead smelly goat, but that didn't pan out... Wink

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Bluefin,

Here is my post on 24hourcampfire which you might find interesting.

Another vote for the Eberlestock "Just One" series.

Here was my reasoning. Go in light, come out heavy, if needed. Everything I need for a day, the pack shrinks down quite nicely. If I need more for several days, it will accomodate what I need and still have room to come out heavy if I'm successful. Also, if I decide on an extended backpack hunt, the Just One also work; go in heavy, come out heavy.

And here is something of late that should play in your decision on a pack. Cost of rising fuel! Ie, airlines are, for now, typically charging $25 for the 2nd checked luggage. Some are considering charging for the 1st one too. The 3rd checked luggage currently costs around $125. I have no doubt these cost will increase as time goes by. Start adding more $ if any of those are over size or weight. So, in effect, you'll want to really take advantage of the "carry on" luggage. The "Just One" pack, when the waist belt is "easily" removed will fit inside the airlines size dimensions. Fill that puppy up with what ever spills over from your checked luggage, as long as it fits, they don't place a weight limit on carry on luggage. Then if you're successful and need to pay for more checked luggage on the return home, at least it was only on the homeward bound leg and not heading up.

For me this September. Both my rifles and SxS shotgun will be in soft cases which will be in my Storm 3300 double rifle case. I'll pack what ever else I can in the Storm until it hits the 50 lb max limit.

Then, I'm using a 24 gal Rubbermaid Action Packer storage container for all the rest of my gear. It's 26" x 18.25" x 17" outside dimensions meets the airlines 62" max outside dimensions. It can be locked making a theif who wants to take a quick peek decide to look elsewhere; hopefully. Anything left over goes into my Eberlestock Just One, J107, for carry on. In the box will be an empty duffle bag or two for the return trip gear as I will use the Action Packer for my bear's cape and skull, sealed tightly in plastic bags and "maybe" some dry ice (allowed upto 5 lbs if the box is not airtight (it's not) and marked properly on the outside. No waiting for my cape/skull to arrive weeks or months later. Make a quick stop at my taximidermists shop the day I arrive home; maybe the next if I want to show a few people the cape.

This is my plan!

Bluefin,

To add to my post, depending upon how much gear you put into the Action Packer, you might be able to bring home your sheep cape/skull and/or your Grizzly hide/skull. Just food for thought.

Since you mentioned Cabelas, they carry the J107 for $300.

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote