New
Find
Notify
Tools

hunting pack
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted this on the wrong forum to begin with, but what do you guys think if this pack as a general purpose hunting pack? I'm considering one and in fact just ordered half of it.

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For shorter trips, it's OK, but, I think that the MR Crew Cab plus Bivalve Lid or the 6500 bag which has a Bivalve Lid is a superior "all around" or "general purpose" pack. To carry a truely functional camp in that pack, you need all very light and compact gear and this cost BIG $$$$$.

I have seven Dana Gleason packs and had two others over the 30+ years I have used his packs and I also have a large amount of light gear, the "cutting edge" items, like the Snowpeak Litemax Ti Stove, Snowpeak Ti pots and comparable bags, tentage and so forth. Yet, I would find that pack a bit too small for much beyond over-nighters for deer.

Combined with a horse(s), THEN, it would be a good rig for any hunting, but, I do not like to carry a NICE frame on a horse and have an MR 3-day for that use.

Your choice, but, I would really think this one over carefully and consider at least the Crewcab plus Bi.-lid for "general purpose" usage. I now have both the NICE. Reg. with CC and B-lid plus the NICE OK with 6500 bag and I find the N-OK-6500 bag with the additions I have put on it, to be THE best pack I have ever used and that is quite a few.

You have picked THE right maker, MR makes the best production packs I have ever used and I can carry weight with them, at 63, that would halfkill me with any other pack(s) I have tried, they are the "Echol's Legend" ,of packs, IMHO.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
I'm excited about hunting overnighters with this model. I, too was worried about not enough volume, until I saw the option to disconnect the Longbow from the NICE frame, except for straps, and then stow the meat from a kill between the NICE frame and the Longbow, I think I'm going to use a contractors trash bag (or more available to me, a biohazard bag).
I think my NICE/6500 is making the sheep trip with me this year. I have great other packs, but I've had some shoulder injury (stupidly lifting too much at the gym, at my age, for heaven sakes); and nothing carries the weight on a waistbelt better, and pads the shoulders better than the NICE frame (for me).
Don
PS Is 4 weeks prior to lift-off too early to have your bags packed....

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, and you can't hurt the MR packs without maybe a cutting torch!

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Get a Barneys Pack...once you get it, you'll never go back.

Far more superior than the MR, Thats why Barneys outsells Mystery Ranch 5:1 here in the Ultimate Proving grounds...ALASKA!!!!

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alaska is no more ...the ulitmate proving grounds...for highend backpacking gear than is B.C., the Yukon or the N.W.T. I have been in all of these jurisdictions and found AK to be identical to northwestern B.C. in terrain, climate and, especially, "Devil's Club", that !@#%%^$@! stuff!!!!

I happen to find the type of external such as "Barney's" frame to be less stable under load than the MR or Kifaru systems and they also hangup in the brush far more. But, if a person prefers that type of pack, well, that is what they should have, IMHO.

As to ...far more superior..., and the sales figures, I would point out that the MR system has only been on the market a couple of years and THAT has more to do with the number sold than this poster's rather excessive comments.

I remember being in the N.W.T. as a young man, an area over TWICE the size of Alaska and there are MORE humans in Fairbanks alone than in ALL of Canada's northern territories...soooo, if we want to "talk remote wilderness", I kinda think that Alaska is NOT ...the ultimate...

But, I DID enjoy going over to Hyder and while American beer is just pathetic, the guys who tended bar there were really nice and far more fun than the typical BC uptight bartender of the '60s and early '70s....grumpy old boozers who ALWAYS checked my I.D.!!!!!!

BTW, is Barney's site up yet?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that the volume of this pack is a little tight. But the reality is, I do 90% of my hunting one day at a time. I even do allot of sheep hunting after work. For day 5 to 10 km excursions a day pack is great until you shoot something and a larger expedition type pack is a nuisance at times for those day outings. I really like the zipper access and the ability to put 70lbs of boned meat between the frame and the pack for me seals the deal. When budget and the boss allow, I'll add a 6500 to the mix.

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then, all in all, I think you will be VERY pleased with this total setup. MR gear is NOT cheap and is a bit heavier than some other stuff, but, it simply lasts forever and it is so comfortable under load when sidehilling that I never use any of my other packs.

BTW, Don and Chuck, get some "silnylon pack liners" in both large and small from Integral Designs and seam seal them with McNett's special goop. These will then carry meat without leaking blood and lymphatic fluids all over your pack...and when washed with cold water they last a long time. I have four, two yellow and two dark green, one of each size and these are THE "cat's ass" when using a pricey pack to carry meat.

I like to use silnyon covers on all my gear to keep bear-attractants off it and Kifaru and I.D. have lots of useful types.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dewey, thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely do that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As an aside, where is the best place to buy integral design in Canada?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I buy all my gear from "Mountain Magic" in Surrey, BC, phone 604-535-5182 and ask for John the owner. He is from South Africa, knows his stuff and is a super guy and he has good gear at good prices.

Tell him that you are a friend of mine and I am certain you will be satisfied with the service he gives you. I make a point of supporting him as some other gear stores are full of little dweebs who hate hunting and have an attitude that makes me want to smack them upside what tiny brains they possess....you know the kind, eh!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Yes I know the kind.