New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Boots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When you say "fit" with a new pair of boots just exactly what do you mean by "fit"

KJK

Posts: 677 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Ones that fit your feet correctly from the start without any undue pressure points.
Yes they will need to be broken in some to conform to your feet but having to suffer blisters and major discomfort is in the distant past. Modern boots shouldn’t require that.

The trick to it is select several name brands that have the features you want and then try them on for correct fit. Each brand is made on a different last so find the one that works best for your feet. Don’t select a brand by what everybody else says is “best”. Most offer the same features and quality.

For me I find Lowe’s work best for me. I’ve worn them for the last 25 years or so. But your feet may like some other brand. When they get too worn have them repaired by a really good service. I use Dave the Cobbler in Seattle. He is an authorized repair facility for most major brands of hiking/mountaineering boots.

Bottom line is buy boots by fit not just brand.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason I ask is because I purchased a pair of Lowa Boots ( for a lot of money) from Schnees a few years ago. Was fitted by them at the store. Size 11 M they said was correct. Just got done wearing them for a few days this past weekend for the first time and my feet are so sore that I cannot wear them right now.
I still wear the same size shoes that I have always worn. Wonder what happened with the boots?

KJK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
The reason I ask is because I purchased a pair of Lowa Boots ( for a lot of money) from Schnees a few years ago. Was fitted by them at the store. Size 11 M they said was correct. Just got done wearing them for a few days this past weekend for the first time and my feet are so sore that I cannot wear them right now.
I still wear the same size shoes that I have always worn. Wonder what happened with the boots?

Yes I has the same issuse with Lowa Boots , never could get a pair that didnt hurt my feet

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:

I guess my questions are how don’t they fit? Length, width, instep, toe room? Did you notice the bad fit in the store? Did you contact the store you bought them from?

Specific models even within any brand can fit differently. The knowledge of the person in the store is very important. You shouldn’t believe them if your feet are telling you differently. If it’s a volume problem changing insoles can help a lot.

I’m not stuck on a brand for all models. In light hikers I like Merrell’s better. But for steep going heavy hiking my feet like those models I have by Lowa and maybe some other brands I haven’t tried yet. Who knows?

Where I live Danners used to be almost a requirement for citizenship in the PNW but to me they are one of the worst most flat footed boots ever made because I have high insteps.

But to bash any quality brand because a couple folks had problems is kind of like saying your truck is only one worth having even though everybody else’s works fine for them. To each their own I guess.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess my questions are how don’t they fit? Length, width, instep, toe room? Did you notice the bad fit in the store? Did you contact the store you bought them from?

quote:
Wonder what happened with the boots?

Are you using different sock weight.

Are you lacing them different.

Both can make a boot wear different.

I love my Kenetreks.

But this year I changed how I lace them.

I went from a loose toe box and a tight ankle to a tighter toe box and a looser ankle and a tight top.

Made them fit even better

Or the leather stiffened up just sitting there.

Conditioning the leather might help also

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I've used Kennetreks for years because of an ankle that tends to roll. They have treated me well in backcountry hunts for a long time. I have multiple pairs of the different styles. For the backcountry hunts, I wear the high Hardscrabble Hikers.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"What happened with the boots"

It seems like there is hard plastic rubbing on the upper portions of my feet and after awhile that becomes very painful.

KJK

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Change the way you lace them or if that doesn’t work take them back and see what they say. It’s always possible there’s a defect in them no matter the brand.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:

With new leather boots we always used to put them on and then walk through water (no gaiters) to get then thoroughly wet through, walk and wet again several times. A nice walk up a river or creek criss crossing the water to break the boots in. Stuff with newspaper to semi dry out and wear again until dry. After several years of non use those Lowa's will aged harder.
My eldest son uses Lowa Tibet GTX boots and they usually do take a good break in period using the method above.

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Part of your problem may be that as we age our feet often get wider. The size may have been correct when you got them but is no longer.

My father used to persist with the same size he'd had in the army, and maintained the idea that you had to stretch new shoes to fit. I have just gone for the ones that fit when buying and have found that they the have grown from about size 8 when I was 21 to size 11 last week (50 years later).

Some people look for wider fittings instead and that may be the correct way to do it, but I can't be bothered doing that.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Part of your problem may be that as we age our feet often get wider. The size may have been correct when you got them but is no longer.

My father used to persist with the same size he'd had in the army, and maintained the idea that you had to stretch new shoes to fit. I have just gone for the ones that fit when buying and have found that they the have grown from about size 8 when I was 21 to size 11 last week (50 years later).

Some people look for wider fittings instead and that may be the correct way to do it, but I can't be bothered doing that.

Definitely worthwhile trying wider fitting shoes and boots. Earlier this year I bought a new pair of Nike sport shoes, size 11, the same size as the old comfortable ones I was replacing. The new pair did feel quite firm on my feet, plenty of toe room, and I thought they would loosen up a bit
with time.
Unfortunately not so I ended up only wearing them when dressed up and went back to the old ones for walking the dog etc.

This last month I purchased a pair of new Nike's, same style but asked about wider fitting. Was steered to same size 11 but 4E width. Made in heaven so purchased an extra pair while in store, different colour but same 4E width.

In future I'll be playing closer attention to width sizing not just main shoe size when purchasing shoes and boots.
These are my hunting boots below, same for two of my younger sons too. Very comfortable and don't need breaking in. Good greasy leather construction with Kevlar toe guard. Warm and very water and snow proof. Best boots I've ever had and great for alpine hunting.
Excellent value too, currently priced at NZ$245.

Kathmandu Tiber NGX

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think wider boots are the answer to my problem even if ankle support is comprimized a bit. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

KJK

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
You also need to buy a boot that fits the shape of your foot.

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

one of us
posted Hide Post
For warm weather TX, Africa or vacation touring, I love the Lowa Renegade leather lined boots. With our TX prickly pear, I don't want fabric sided boots and Goretex always seems too hot for me.

For cold weather, I'm currently wearing a pair of older Zamberlan that I think are comparable to todays 1005 or 980. Generous toe box and a good rocker to the sole.

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm afraid a self-effacing post-script is needed here.

Though my shoes have got longer, I've lost 6cm vertically with old age. Soon I'll have the ratio of a set-square Smiler

Beyond the OP, gsganzer, I find the old, unlined Courteney high-tops I bought in Africa are great in hot weather. With big gaps at the bottom of the tongues, they don't keep out water, though.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am finding that it is difficult to find boots in the various widths. Most seem to just come in medium size.

KJK

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found Shields carry several different widths in stock.

Might not have them on the shelve but the staff was very willing to get them from storage.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm afraid a self-effacing post-script is needed here.

Though my shoes have got longer, I've lost 6cm vertically with old age. Soon I'll have the ratio of a set-square Smiler

My experience as well! When I was drafted, age nineteen, I was issued two pair of 10 1/2's and they fit well. Fifty six years later, the last pair of Asolos I bought are 13's, and they fit great. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill, but am I alone in becoming vertically challenged?

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
It’s normal to lose height as you age. Vertebral osteoporosis occurs as well as intervertebral disc collapse. At age 76, I’m one inch shorter than at 26. Getting old isn’t for sissies! Cool

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous J, at your only having lost one inch Smiler

Also, I see Vlad the Defenestrator has struck again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Certainly not. 6'2" at my peak, I am now barely over six feet. My 15 year old granddaughter, at 5'10", is alarmingly close to looking me straight in the eye.
On the bright side, when shooting offhand, my elbow now sits firmly on my hip bone. Sadly, I still can't shoot as well as I might like. I hoped the broader foundation afforded by my longer feet, along with the solidly planted elbow, might translate to better scores. Not so.
Another issue is that my packframe needs adjusting as my shoulders get closer to my hips. The pack has also apparently absorbed some moisture, as it is much heavier than it was. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:

Certainly not. 6'2" at my peak, I am now barely over six feet. My 15 year old granddaughter, at 5'10", is alarmingly close to looking me straight in the eye.
On the bright side, when shooting offhand, my elbow now sits firmly on my hip bone. Sadly, I still can't shoot as well as I might like. I hoped the broader foundation afforded by my longer feet, along with the solidly planted elbow, might translate to better scores. Not so.
Another issue is that my packframe needs adjusting as my shoulders get closer to my hips. The pack has also apparently absorbed some moisture, as it is much heavier than it was. Regards, Bill.

That’s one of the best and truest posts I’ve read in a while! lol

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think wider boots are the answer to my problem even if ankle support is comprimized a bit. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

A bit late with my reply, but anyone looking for wider boots should have a look at Meindl Boots for normal hunting boots or Scarpa for heavy high mountain boots. I have feet like bigfoot and both brands have lines that suite wide feet people:-)

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have wide feet and tore boots apart and finally got ahold of Lathrop and Sons. They have a wide boot that’s awesome. So far. In 25 years of guiding it’s the only boots I’ve ever look forward to putting on in the morning. Cause it fits.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
quote:

As Cougarz said, Bill, it is good to see such honesty. The world is too full of poppinjays pretending to be better than ever, never admitting that they can ever decline.