New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need a recommendation for hunting boots. Water proof is a must as I will be using the in AK next year and want to break them in between now and then.

Posts: 294 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 17 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good service from my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. Last year we hunted in a foot or more of snow in CO and I have worn them in rain as well and they have kept my feet warm and dry. As with any leather boot, you have to keep a good coat of wax on them and gaiters are pretty handy as well. I can't see why they wouldn't work well in AK.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been a Danner fan for many years, so when I was getting ready for a Hunting trip to Scotland last year I bought a new pair of Danners. I bought the Grouse because it was closest to the ones that I had for many years. However the boots hurt my ankle bones, I have really skinny ankles and the fold in the tongue landed right on my ankle bone. I have since remedied the situation but I did not want to deal with it before my trip to Scotland. So I decided to try the Cabelas Perfect Hunters made by Meindl. I was very impressed with the Meindls, they offer very good ankle support and are a pleasure to walk in. I would recommend either the Meindls or Danners (unless you have skinny ankles).

Link to Danners

Link to Meindl Boots

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich-:
I need a recommendation for hunting boots. Water proof is a must as I will be using the in AK next year and want to break them in between now and then.

What are you hunting? Where are you hunting? What's the expectation of the hunt in terms of conditions, hiking, etc?

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will be caribou in August of next year. I don't believe it will be too cold so I am looking for a good pair of boots that can also be used for other hunting/hiking where temperatures will be above freezing.

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
my vote

hands down

http://www.shoebuy.com/lowa-hu..._-none-_-none-_-none

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stradling:
my vote

hands down

http://www.shoebuy.com/lowa-hu..._-none-_-none-_-none

Have you worn these in warmer climates?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Lowas as well. Great shoes.

Posts: 11980 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich-:
It will be caribou in August of next year. I don't believe it will be too cold so I am looking for a good pair of boots that can also be used for other hunting/hiking where temperatures will be above freezing.

How many miles a day are you hiking? How much vertical? How much weight do you intend to carry?

Rich, I'm not trying to be cryptic at all. There's a lot more to shoes/boots than we normally think about on the surface. What works for one area/type of hunt might not for others.

Add on top of it that your foot is going to feel different than the next guys foot.

I personally like the Cabelas Meindl "Perfekt Hunters". A 10" boot, goretex, 400g. thinsulate. They worked superbly well for me on my Alaska Goat Hunt and were at their finest carrying 80# of goat down a stupidly steep mountain.

The lack of the rubber rand on the boots was a benefit for me - it allowed the boot to conform to my foot better. The rubber rand works better for boots in ugly, rocky terrain that cuts up boot leather. But it restricted my foot…didn't bend or break in.

Don't be surprised if you need to try on several different boots and insoles (*superfeet for me) as well as different types of socks before you find what works for you. For me I went through three different insoles, two different sets of socks and two different boots and three different methods of lacing my boots before I found my nirvana.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote