Find
Notify
Tools

Best Freeze dried meals?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
Was looking at some Mountain House meals again as it's that time of year, and there were a couple other Mfg products to choose from that I'm not familar with.
So who's meals are the best? Taste? Filling?

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of the Mountain House meals, haven't eaten much of anything else in several years as MH was light years ahead of anything else I had tried.

Posts: 38 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 21 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with Mountain House.

I prefer them over Back Packers Pantry and Provident Pantry (the latter only available in #10 cans).

I haven't tried many others like Daily Bread and Alpine Aire.

The Mountain House worked for me (taste, packability, available serving sizes).... so I just stuck with them.

But if there's something better out there, I'm always willing to give it a try!

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I was looking at Wise products. Never seen them before but they supposedly do meals for the military and CIA. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
See if you can find a store that sells both Mountain House and Backpacker's Pantry. Check the label and compare weight and calories. I have used both on sheep hunts, and like both. BP has some different flavours, and most are more calories for the weight, compared to MH. Important consideration for a late season high country hunt.

Posts: 132 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mt. house is the most common, it's avaliable at walmart and recently at costco, a box of 12 for $39. You have to start sampling them for the best taste for you. Other manufacturers produce boutique type meals at $8 to $13 per meal try REI or some of the mountianeering stores. If you look close at the ingredients and preservatives in all of them it's not good. The best option invest in a dehydrater and dehydrate your favorite meals. You know what's in them and it's the cheapest. There's a couple in Canada that camp/canoe in the wilderness a year at a time and that is exactly what they do.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mlfguns has it right,I have found that I do not like all of everything from M.H. or B/P Pantry.You just have to try them at home first and see if you like them or not.The dehydrator is an excellant alternative.

Posts: 51 | Location: Buffalo WY | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
So.... I guess I've seen dehydrators with fruit in them or even heard of doing jerky in them but...
How do you dehydrate cooked food like spaghetti, or mac & cheese, chili, etc.? I'm more than willing to do it as I generally eat unprocessed foods. Nate

One of Us
Picture of Lee Britt
posted Hide Post
Mtn House are hard to beat. Tried a few others and nothing really compared. Lasagna, Beef Stroganoff, Beef Stew, spaghetti, Sweet and Sour Pork were my favorites. Pretty simple, lightweight and ok. not real calorie dense though. I just returned from a BP hunt in NWT for Sheep/Moose and ate mostly MH and bars and such. Lost 10lbs.

Some folks have recommended Hawk Vittles. Supposedly very tasty and more calories but not dehydrated so heavier.

Lee

Lee Britt

Posts: 51 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: 02 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BigNate, I saw the Wise freeze dried at a recent gunshow. I think these are more of a long term survival type ration than a trail meal.

They have extremely long shelf life (25 years).

The long shelf life is good, but I've heard that they taste "odd".

Most freeze dried food packets have a 7 year shelf life.

On dehydrated........ try some commercially available dehydrated foods before you go out and buy a dehydrator. Harmony House is pretty good.

Keep in mind that dehydrated food takes more time to prepare and involves actual cooking and cleanup after the meal. Freeze dried only requires boiling water and eat out of the pouch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have eaten many a MH meal and find hem very good.

Except I decide to try some of their eggs for a breakfast meal instead of my normal oatmeat.

They were horriable not up to their normal good stuff I don't think I;ll be buying any more of their egg products.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Harmony House

quote:
Hawk Vittles

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I will probably reconcider the dehydrated meal idea for the reson mentioned. I like the ability to just dump in boiling water and shovel from the pouch too. All I have to clean is my spoon.

And P Dog, right there with ya on the eggs in a bag thing. I have traded away every Ham & Egg MRE, and never tried a second spoon of even MH breakfast. I've become a one hot meal in the evening backpacker. Nate

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bignate I normally just do MN in the evening also.

Last trip I was out ith some new folks and decide to try something differant for breakfast.

Wrong choice MH eggs very yukie.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adding a boil in bag rice from Success Rice or Uncle Bens to Mtn House stew or on-trays w/ rice is a plus.

The Mtn House Raspberry Crumble makes awesome pie filling in the bush!!!!

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:
Adding a boil in bag rice from Success Rice or Uncle Bens to Mtn House stew or on-trays w/ rice is a plus.

The Mtn House Raspberry Crumble makes awesome pie filling in the bush!!!!

Dan have you tried the freeze dried rice? Easy to prepare and very good.

Problem is it comes in huge #10 cans and has to be vacuum packed for back packing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
alpine air/natural high are the ones i use for my hunts, some tortilla shells and off we go.
some brands have specific meals i like. but those two are the most natural. mt house has so much preservatives in it i steer clear.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
alpine air/natural high are the ones i use for my hunts, some tortilla shells and off we go.
some brands have specific meals i like. but those two are the most natural. mt house has so much preservatives in it i steer clear.

Fourtyonesix, none of the freeze dried stuff is "healthy!"

I carry a mixture of frozen food (vacuum packed), fresh food (vegetables), MRE/packet food, freeze dried, and field gathered (when in season and available).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
If you two miss Daman so much in the PF that you are following him here to harrass him, I might as well let him back into the PF.

thumbdown

Don

Posts: 26543 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:

Is this the same as the microwaveable stuff? I Tried boiling that, but didn't seem to be particularly effective.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many different types of rice stuff.

The freeze dried style just takes boiling water added to it. No cooking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a little effort you can find fresh USGI MREs for $50 a case. Field strip the stuff you do not like/need and you still have 12 complete meals. The enclosed heaters weight next to nothing are flame free.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JIm Yackley:
With a little effort you can find fresh USGI MREs for $50 a case. Field strip the stuff you do not like/need and you still have 12 complete meals. The enclosed heaters weight next to nothing are flame free.

Jim, you caused me to me to do some in-mouth regurgitation! Eeker

And even in the commissary, they're about $70-75 nowadays per case for that "salty sweet yuck" with the loads of excess packaging!

But... having said that.... I love the new MRE Cherry Blueberry Cobbler .....and the Pork Sausage with Cream Gravy (with a good dose of black pepper and red Tobasco sauce over freeze dried rice or even the MRE wheat bread).

Oh, and the cheese with jalapeno on the crackers. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me a lot depends on season of the year, how cold it is going to be and what part of the country I am in as to what i prefer.

I tend to stick with Mountain House if I am just going with freeze dried but sometimes I like what Alpine Aire has to offer as well. Sort of a mix and match.

Then there are a few MRE items I prefer like the cheese tortalline and the cake desserts.

What I really prefer is to sort of mix a freeze dried entree with a small ammount of fresh food like onion, garlic, bell pepper ect in with it and some spices I take along.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1064 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hasher, MRE brownie with chocolate chips! tu2

Onion, garlic, bell pepper & spices! tu2

Don't forget the olive oil and Tabsasco! Wink

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I've found many of the other brands require use of a pot or require multiple steps. Mountain House tastes good and all you do is add water and eat from the bag....just a spoon required. Simple is good.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NavyVet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaMan:
quote:

And even in the commissary, they're about $70-75 nowadays per case for that "salty sweet yuck" with the loads of excess packaging!

But... having said that.... I love the new MRE Cherry Blueberry Cobbler .....and the Pork Sausage with Cream Gravy (with a good dose of black pepper and red Tobasco sauce over freeze dried rice or even the MRE wheat bread).

Maybe I'm not very picky.... and I make no secret that I like to eat. But, I loved MREs! I got out of the military in '96. And I remember some field operations that the MRE was the highlight of the day! Haven't tried any of the commercial brands. But, this thread sure brought back memories. Smiler

NRA life member, thanks to Steve. Smiler

Running on empty...

Posts: 250 | Location: God's Country | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyVet:
quote:
Originally posted by DaMan:
quote:

Maybe I'm not very picky.... and I make no secret that I like to eat. But, I loved MREs! I got out of the military in '96. And I remember some field operations that the MRE was the highlight of the day! Haven't tried any of the commercial brands. But, this thread sure brought back memories. Smiler

You are a SICK man!!! Big Grin

I got out in '92 and have no desire to eat another MRE unless it's the only thing I can find to make a turd.

One of Us
Picture of NavyVet
posted Hide Post
LMAO!!! Ok, BigNate... to each his own. But, that would be SICK... woman. Lol!!

Running on empty...

Posts: 250 | Location: God's Country | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
What the...?

What would be sick? and you're calling me a woman??? I don't think I'm amused. Confused maybe.

Having just joined the boards you seem to be quick to insult. Especially with such anonymity.

One of Us
Picture of NavyVet
posted Hide Post
BigNate... YOU are cracking me up!!!! I was correcting you. When you said I was a sick man... I'm a woman! Lol!!!

Running on empty...

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
LOL OHhhh well that clears it up a lot! I guess lack of sleep is greatly affecting my comprehension.

Welcome to AR, it's nice to have another woman onboard, and if I seem cranky tell me to get some sleep! Big Grin Nate

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My vote would be for the Mtn house. But its kind of like the best of a really bad thing.