Find
Notify
Tools

Backpack Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I've never done overnight backpack hunting - just daypack type hiking and hunting, but am planning a backpack hunt next year.

I know everyone has their favorite backpack, but from what I've read, it can be summed up into the following statement:

If you are going to pack meat, quarters, etc. get an external frame pack. If you aren't, get an internal frame pack.

Does this ring true?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not always. I just bought a Badlands 4500. You can do everything and anything with it. I’m taking it on a NM backpack elk hunt next month. But I’m also leaving my old external frame back in the truck.

New internal frame packs are strong and can hold up a heavy load. They're just not as easy to clean up and cost a whole lot more.

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Austin Hunter, I own both styles of pack in the 80-90 liter range. Its slightly easier to get big hunks of meat into the external framed pack, but the comfort level of the internal framed pack far outweighs packing difficulties.The only time I consider taking the external now, is if its likely I'll be carrying whole carcase's, as I can remove the pack, and tie the animal straight to the frame.

Posts: 4254 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished a sheep hunt and used the Cabela's Alaskan Outfitters pack with the external frame. It was too much pack for the daily hunting, but perfect for packing out the sheep. I sized and fitted a couple of internal frame packs but could not get comfortable with the thought of using one packing meat and a 100 lbs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Hammertown, USA | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you've got the differences boiled down. I just returned from a sheep hunt in the Yukon, and I took an Eberlestock "Just One" pack. It worked great. Unfortunately I did not get my sheep (rain and low fog 11 of the 12 days), but my wife shot a nice mountain caribou. I packed about 40+ pounds of caribou meat off a mountain (2 hours or more down), and the pack handled it (and my rifle) well. My guide had an external frame (Barney's issue), and carried probably 50 pounds of cape, head and antlers).

One thing I would stress from this single experience is that having a pack which can hold your rifle for the 99% when you don't actually need it in your hands is critical. I did not appreciate that going into my research. It is really nice not to have to constantly be dealing with a slung rifle and have your hands free for brush, rocks, etc. My wife took one of the smaller Badlands packs, and while it was otherwise perfect for her, the couple times she tried to sling the rifle while wearing the pack was a constant irritant. Don't know how many external frame packs have this feature, but the Eberlestock's built-in pocket for the rifle was wonderful.

Posts: 231 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have today the best selection of really GOOD packs ever and I started backpacking camping in 1964, age 17, after day hiking since 1956. I have owned/used many packs and much prefer a GOOD internal for all hunting, my favourite is Mystery Ranch's NICE frame with various bags, I have two complete setups of these and they ROCK!

Another fine pack is Kifaru, I had a Longhunter Rendevous and have a completely pimped out Siwash. Many serious hunters use these, especially for Elk hunting.

I also have had a whack of externals and currently have a Bullpac Alaskan frame and it IS a good pack, but, best suited for packing large, irregular objects for short distances, i.e. Moose quarters and chainsaws plus fuel and outboard motors, that sort of thing.

For most hunters, I recommend a good internal and MR, Kifaru and the fabulous custom McHale packs are the best to be had. If, you can afford to hunt here in Canada, you can afford to buy a good pack, even for the light loads mentioned above.

Now, for your rifle, buy a LONG UNIVERSAL Gunbearer waistbelt attachment, a Combat Gunbearer cradle from Kifaru, see www.kifaru.net and attach this to your pack. Buy a UNIVERSAL PACK ATTACHMENT from www.gunslingercorral.com and an Uncle Mike's Mountain Sling and use this instead of your Kifaru top which sometimes fails with a heavy rifle.

This is the best system for carrying a rifle in the mountains that I have ever used in over 40 years of packing a gun daily on my job and hunting. Try it, it is cheap, effective and saves a lot of stress.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
Austin

I have two Kifaru packs. Both are military models. They are great packs. I have used them a bit on hunts with my older brother in Alaska. Check them out. They also have some very nifty meat bags for putting the meat in. A it helps keep the pack clean and B they are made so you can easily hoist the meat up in a tree if there are bears or other large predators around. Now if only there were more big trees on Kodiak Wink

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S. Texan:
One thing I would stress from this single experience is that having a pack which can hold your rifle for the 99% when you don't actually need it in your hands is critical. I did not appreciate that going into my research. It is really nice not to have to constantly be dealing with a slung rifle and have your hands free for brush, rocks, etc. My wife took one of the smaller Badlands packs, and while it was otherwise perfect for her, the couple times she tried to sling the rifle while wearing the pack was a constant irritant. Don't know how many external frame packs have this feature, but the Eberlestock's built-in pocket for the rifle was wonderful.
I can see where your coming from on that. Another option though other than the built in gun holder is the gunslinger holster. It is pretty simple, a plastic hook with a buttoned down nylon strap that attaches to your belt. I use one with or without my pack simply because I don't know when I may need my hands free for climbing, dragging, or crawling.

http://www.gunslingercorral.com/

http://www.outdoorcritic.com/2007/10/08/gunslinger-corral-gun-holster/

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I was considered a Badlands or Kifaru, but seems like Kifaru wins based on rifle handling.

Any experience with Nimrod Packs?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just returned from a Brooks Range Backpack hunt and used the NICE System and the 6500 bag from Mystery Ranch.. Good system..The NICE Frame is the best I've used ..Great support with a heavy load up and a heavier load coming down.. Need to use the Clip on bags next time for more Cube's.. Maybe sell this bag and go to the next larger bag..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some badlands packs will hold a gun too.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
After using my Mystery Ranch Crew Cab for 7 days in the Sawtooth I'm sold, the pack was flawless & II hear they are going to soon offer a sheath for your gun that you can add to the pack you already have.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
One word ...Barneys!!!

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote