THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Ful Cargo Hydration Pack -- REVIEW

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ful Cargo Hydration Pack -- REVIEW
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ful Cargo Hydration Pack --

I'm seeing these listed online at $69.99. CostCo has them in stock now for $24.99.

Shortcomings noted -- I'm 5' 11" and 210 lbs. The shoulder straps need to be fully extended to sit where I need to have it sit -- so the belly band runs at the belt line, not under the ribs. Fully extended, it's large enough -- for me. For a big person it's going to be small.

I haven't tested the bite valve. Reviews online say that it's stingy on delivery. Also, they're saying it drips. There's a snap on/off position for the valve. I haven't checked it out. When I do I'll compare it to my Platypus hydration bag.

I have a Platypus, so if this bag comes up short, I can use it as a "backup" for carrying more water. Bag readily comes out to fill or replace.

The hydration bag is a fold-over slide-clip top style. Fold over top closure allows for ice! (Platypus and Camelback use a screw cap.) 2 litre. The water pocket is foil lined and insulated to keep cool.

What I like about this bag, and Ful packs generally, is lots of pockets. Lot's of niches for stashing/securing "stuff."

There's a 360 degree zipper on one of the two full sized cargo pockets which allows it to expand or stow in condensed form. Open the pocket is large enough to stow a two litre Nalgene bottle, or probably a windbreaker, polar fleece top.

There's a second full-length pocket (besides the water pocket), and then a half pocket full of pouches, stash nooks.

There's a bottom pocket with a netting for stowing a helmet, for bike or mountaineering. I'm at a loss for other things it might stow (hats/gloves). Pocket on the shoulder stap for a cell phone, GPS -- or lip balm.

Compression straps -- side tie downs.

The pack has loop top and bottom for an ice axe, but these come in handy for lashing items to the bag. There are slots in the back side for straps, carabiners (not included).

The side flaps on the belly straps are a bit on the short side. But I don't require much in a belt strap for a pack this size. The straps themselves are long enough.

Fully adjustable chest strap. It slides up and down and features an elastic stretch band backed up with webbing so it doesn't over-stretch.

I bought this bag for day hikes . . . fast distance walks over terrain, where I'm not carrying a lot of extra gear. What I'm looking to pack along is water, lunch, cell phone, GPS, spare socks, maps, knife, first aid.

It's smaller than my day pack. I was looking for something smaller, and the fanny pack was not working for me.

$24.99 at CostCo three colors: red, black, blue. For the price of a box of ammo, this comes in handy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update on this review!

I've taken TWO of these Ful Cargo packs back to CostCo. First one I failed to note that the bite valve has an open/close option. It was closed, and I thought it was plugged.

Second one . . . a week or two later . . . the bite valve didn't have a vent slot. I cut one w/ a sharp knife . . . But the "nipple" pops off the mount. It leaks when not closed. The tube got kinked in shipping. And finally -- lots and lots of work to get any water.

Fit is skimpy, small, not very comfortable. Sternum strap rides under the Adam's apple.

--

We spent $90 and got a CamelBak M.U.L.E. -- about the same storage capacity (765 cc) and 100 oz (three litres) of water rather than the two litre capacity of the Ful. Market leader in bite valve design -- with a mud cover to keep it clean!

I hike where there's no fresh water available -- save running a filter system with rain water or runoff.

Lot's of nice features. CamelBak has a video. Reviews, specs. The difference in fit, finish, quality is worth the extra $$$.

CamelBak makes some mountain packs -- 1200 cc stow capacity, 100 oz water, compression straps, tie downs, carabiner loops . . . The "Alpine" is one of their larger hiking packs.

If you have a pack and just want a hydration bladder, tube, bite valve -- CamelBak offer that option too.

Stopping for water, digging the canteen out of the bag is a huge pain in the butt. If you're hiking or hunting, you'll put off hydration if it's a hassle. 100 oz of water -- three litres, and a ready access tube keeps you hydrated and focused on the trail.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
My MULE is my favorite day pack; it's the perfect size for casual jaunts and run-and-gun hunting like we have here in the desert.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took mine out on a 7 mile Nordic pole walk this morning just off the beach. Packed some water, GPS, compact binoculars and Nalgene bottle full of protein shake.

It works PERFECTLY ! ! ! You get what you pay for.