THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Under Armor - Your opinions/likes & dislikes

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Under Armor - Your opinions/likes & dislikes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I guess this is about the best place to post this question.
What do you think about Under Armor underwear? Does it work for you? Your likes or dislikes? In your opinion is it worth the money?
Any info gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Capilene LW briefs and Ts as a next to skin wicking layer under MW Smartwool 2pc long johns. I'll add a synthetic or wool union suit over this if it's really cold.

I've used the Capilene since the late 80s. The season before last I decided to give the UA a try. I got a mess of it. I've used it pretty hard and I don't think it is all that. I'll not buy it again when it's worn. I also tried some Power Dry which was no better.

I've yet to find briefs/Ts the equal of Capilene and I've yet to find a first MW layer of wool the equal of Smartwool (for me). There are several other brands of wool used by members here w/ good reported results you may consider.

Other than the Capilene, I've never found a synthetic I like to wear next to my skin. The others are too clammy. UA is probably best saved for the athletic field for a short event.

GVA

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Save your money and consider Wickers Lightweight Comfortrel Polyester long underwear from Sierra Trading Post ($10 a piece). For a mid layer or by itself try 100% Merino Wool long underwear by Duofold at Montana Woolen Shop ($30 a piece), Stanfields Superwash Merino Wool long underwear at Empire Canvas Works ($30 a piece) or 200 g./sq.m. Ullfrotte Merino Wool long underwear at Montana Woolen Shop ($30 a piece).

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have worn underarmour quite a bit the last few years.
I actually wore it "under armour" and I have worn it in winter and in summer including 3 Safaris to Africa.
In fact I have been wearing it all week in a rifle school in CA.

It is much better than cotton, in cold or hot.

however i have found the tight fitting shirts too hot in warm weather, I much prefer the loose fit.

The under ware and shirts are so slick I have a harder time keeping my shirts tucked in and my pants up with all the stuff I carry.

Before Under armour I wore patagonia silk weight capeline. I think I prefer it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
I haven´t heard of Under Armo Wear.

I use Patagonia for nearly 18 years now: I still have the first pieces of Capilene. Especially the Silkweight T´s are pretty good for nearly everything: I am running, cycling, backpacking, snorkeling and even diving in these shirts, I have worn them from Australia´s desert to Skandinavian winter and in the cold sea of NZ and there is no place I would like to go without them...

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As the lone dissenting voice; I can say the pair of Under Armour I wear to hunt and work in have served me well. Compression fitting took a bit of acclimation, but I've worn them just under jeans in some fairly cold weather for my area. It does a good job of keeping the wind from chilling me.

I'm a land surveyor, so I get to enjoy extended time outdoors.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you asking about the warm weather or cold weather underarmor? I've not used underarmor for hunting/camping, but I can tell you that the warm weather underarmor is worth every penny when worn under thick layers that don't breath in hot weather, such as my bullet proof vest. I've not tried to cold weather underarmor but my understanding it is just thicker to help retain bodyheat. The underarmor knock off, I think it goes by actionwear? is about as good as underarmor, again i've only used the hot weather.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I bought a set last fall. I am very impressed not only with the ability to keep me warm, but also the wicking ability when I am moving around and get hot. I would recommend it highly.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by trekker111:
Are you asking about the warm weather or cold weather underarmor?]

Sorry guys, I shoulda been asking about the cold weather stuff. Thanks for all of the replys, they're much appreciated. The jury's still out on it. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried this, but in the size I am supposed to wear, I get crawly from being tied up in it. Have any of you tried a looser fit in the cold to see if it kept you warm?
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rgrx1276
posted Hide Post
BIF,
I have used the stuff, in my opinion it doesn't live up to the hype, but the only kind that I have used is the type fits close to the skin. I use some type of capilene/ and poly pro under the fleece.
I got issued the stuff 3 years ago, gave it to the kids who like it a lot, go figure.

Posts: 45 | Location: Israel and Florida | Registered: 23 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To tight!!! Creepy crawly feeling!!! Stinks after a week or so. Prefer loose fitting silk.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Lotsa hype, but doesn't deliver - for the same reasons others have stated.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote