New
Find
Notify
Tools

SATELLITE PHONE RENTALS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Special Fall Sale!
Iridium 9500 Iridium 9505(A)
Day: $7 $9
Week: $29 $39
Month: $115 $150

Those are seriously good prices for renting the Iridium! Wow...

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Calgarians can also go to the Universtiy of Calgary and rent them through the outdoor department.

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
My wife is insisting I take one of these with me to the Frank next year.

I doubt I'll have time to make a call while a bear or lion is chewing on me, but whatever...

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't know about a SAT phone as far as renting & hauling it around on your back but what about a SPOT instead? True, ya can't talk on a SPOT but they're light weight and relatively small. A bit larger than a GPS. Only 4 buttons - "ON/OFF", "OK", "HELP", and "911".
My pard had decided he was gonna take a SAT phone on our last sheep hunt into the North side of the Brooks last Aug. Instead of that, my wife got me a SPOT which we took. We had no problem sending out an "OK" signal every day regardless of the weather. I'd suggest one of these instead. Bear in Fairbanks

BTW, each time it's activated, a link to your location is sent to the recipient's cell phone and/or e-mail. It's accesed thru Google earth & it works. A 911 call goes to the closest rescue personnel and to the recipient that you have designated.
BIF

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear in Fairbanks:
Well, I don't know about a SAT phone as far as renting & hauling it around on your back but what about a SPOT instead? True, ya can't talk on a SPOT but they're light weight and relatively small. A bit larger than a GPS. Only 4 buttons - "ON/OFF", "OK", "HELP", and "911".
My pard had decided he was gonna take a SAT phone on our last sheep hunt into the North side of the Brooks last Aug. Instead of that, my wife got me a SPOT which we took. We had no problem sending out an "OK" signal every day regardless of the weather. I'd suggest one of these instead. Bear in Fairbanks

BTW, each time it's activated, a link to your location is sent to the recipient's cell phone and/or e-mail. It's accesed thru Google earth & it works. A 911 call goes to the closest rescue personnel and to the recipient that you have designated.
BIF
What are access fee and usage fee?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Naphtali:
As I recall, it was around $150/ year if you selected all 3 of the options available. I'd suggest going to their web site to check that out. I think their URL is www.findmespot.com

My understanding is that if/when the "911" is activated, the signal is sent immediately to the closest rescue organization. No one has to "hunt" around as to who to contact.
Double check on everything I mentioned above. Working from memory here. Bear in FAirbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote