Find
Notify
Tools

Where To Buy Gear?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted
OK, I'm planning my first backpack hunt with a friend in Idaho & need to get everything (Tent, Pack, Sleeping bag, etc) who has the best price on gear?

Looking at the Mystery Ranch NICE 6500 Pack, The Hubba Hubba 2 man tent, a down Zero rated sleepiing bag, etc, etc.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can strongly recommend www.bearriveroutfitters.org in Utah. I have bought $1000s of fine gear from them with absolute satisfaction and they are MR, Hilleberg, Integral Designs and other topend dealers.

No offence intended, but, I would really suggest buying a Hilleberg tent over a Hubba-Hubba for backpack hunting. MR, ID, Hilleberg and Western Mountaineering are the best gear makers at present and their products are well suited to serious backpack hunting.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Is there a outfitter who sells and or deals with traditional style packing, and pack-hunting?
Oh never mind I m going to start a thread of its own.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My opinions:
1. tent & stove - MSR without question
2. sleeping bag - Integral Designs (I believe they're in Alberta) Though kind of expensive, look at their light weight jackets & pants.
I'm getting their jacket & insulated pants for my next sheep hunt into the Brooks since we're gonna have to siwash it for a few nights. I have one of their sleeping bags rated to about 15 deg. Works just fine in the Brooks in Aug.
MSR tents are also kind of expensive but top of the line. Hell for tough. Again, what I use in the Brooks.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good set up and a good hunt. I m trying to aquire winter camping in the snow and ice. Also do a bit of summer camping an set up with poncho(or 2 depending on size) under a tree and should be all set for a week of coyote hunting Wink

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Take a look at http://www.huntinfool.com/articles/extreme.html

The author Bryan Martin is a mountain hunting nut. He wrote a series of articles for the Huntin Fool about gear. The BEST, most useful articles ever.

YOu may want to think twice about the "cheapest" gear, and go for the best. The mountains are certainly no place for bargain gear.

Another good source for info is the Backpacker Editors choice of the year award. That list turned me on to Sierra Designs 800 fill down bags. They can be had a great price on campmor.com

On my next hunt, I will be taking a big agnes tent, leaving the hilleberg at home. HB is bullet proof, but the BA weighs less.

Tons of good stuff out there. Shopping for it is half the fun. Good luck!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
It is wise to shop around. But what is not wise is to buy something because of cost over quality. As a army vet I found that that is what the hole military dose. TO THE CHEAPEST BIDDER! So how do you thing a lot of our gear is?
So I do know what to look for if I know what I need. Save your self some pain and maybe if your a bit more extreme your life! I do hope that is not the case.

NRA LIFE MEMBER