THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Backpack Trout Rig Recommendations

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backpack Trout Rig Recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm thinking of this combo....

It comes with this rod.....

The price is right! But I'd willing to spend a bit more if there's a better choice out there.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a former backpacker who bought Daiwa spinning paks -closed face reel & rod worked great.Here's 2 selections:EXEC Soft Pack ESPSP-STZ/JA list $72 or Minispin MS-S500T @ $37 list.My family hiked in for 2 weeks & we flyfished with our backpacking rods using a clear plastic bubble, gold swivel and a dry fly on 3 foot leader at the alpine lake.The trout would hit the float,swivel & fly simultaneously we had a then 10 fish limit in about 15 minutes we cooked and ate the trout for lunch, btw the cirque lake was 13+ miles in by trail with trout to 24 inches in a mountainous area of California.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I'm in the backcountry, I'll carry an ultralight rated ice fishing rod(28") with spinning reel loaded w/4lb test line.....a small Super Duper spoon is my "secret" lure:~) but the grayling that inhabit every trickle of water in the north country aren't picky....works in the small lakes with the bubble and flies(#14 black gnat) also.

Depending on the pack I'm using, the rig neatly ties to the outside of the smaller packs, or inside the main compartment on the big pack.
Very inexpensive setup that stands up to all kinds of abuse.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got the Daiwa mini spin combo MSG 59S. It is 5'2" and with the open faced reel weighs less than 1 lb. For 2-4 lb line but the new spider wire stuff can move that to 8 lbs or better.

Max length is 14" in a 5 piece pole.

Used it for years and it is a permanent part of my Horse tack.

I also have a couple of telescoping rods but would not recommend them for serious fishing.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I'd personally not go beyond a four piece rod... there are dozens available. Any small spinning reel will work. 6lb test is about ideal.

Here's a 16" Cutt I caught on a BP trip in September on such a rig:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mickey brought up the spider wire and it's interesting stuff......with the exception of my pack setup described above, all of my fishing setups are now spooled w/PowerPro line(braided super line much like what Mickey described)....8lb test PowerPro has the diameter of 1 pound test monofilament.....my saltwater jigging rod is spooled w/50lb test PP and the 50# is the same diameter of 12lb test monofilament....recently fished for smallmouth and walleye in Canada using PP high visability line, no mono leader, and it didn't bother the fish at all.

I didn't think about the weight of my pack rig until Mickey posted.....8.2oz all up including the Super Duper.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a telescoping rod that I bought in NZ - works great. Used it to catch a zillion trout in the Selway two weeks ago.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're going to go spinning rod,I'd go with a travel version of the Ugly Stick. I can break an anvil in a sand box and have yet to destroy an ugly stick. The action on them is good also.

I'm not real big on fly fishing, but fly fishing really has its place when fishing back country streams and lakes for trout. Its not what you asked,but I'd seriously consider a fly rod also. Possibly a convertible fly/spin combo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do the Ugly Sticks come in short sectioned versions?

I'm NOW leaning toward the Daiwa UL pack rods.

Or other sectioned (rather than a collapsable) rig.

Thinking about the SM-X564ULFS 5'6" four section UL.

But the Daiwa systems look pretty good too!

Hard case.... reel included!

Mickey1 is this what you've got?

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaMan:
Do the Ugly Sticks come in short sectioned versions?

I'm NOW leaning toward the Daiwa UL pack rods.

Or other sectioned (rather than a collapsable) rig.

Thinking about the SM-X564ULFS 5'6" four section UL.

But the Daiwa systems look pretty good too!

Hard case.... reel included!

Mickey1 is this what you've got?

I don't have the hard case anymore as it took up too much space.. I put it in a 1.5" piece of pvc.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaMan:
I'm thinking of this combo....

I have been using a Crystal River combination the last few years that includes both spinning and fly reels.
As you'd expect there are some compromises but it's been more than adequate.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife had a Dawa that fits in a plastic tube, I have a Eagle Claw that fits in an aluminium tube that I bought 26 years of so ago. Both of them can either be jused as a fly rod or a spin rod. They work very well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote