THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Winter / 0F Sleeping bag recommendation

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winter / 0F Sleeping bag recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The search function showed a thread from 10 years ago on this, so I thought it is time to revisit it due to changes in technology and new products on the market.

I am thinking about replacing my Integral Designs 10F rated synthetic bag, since the hood does not provide full head coverage and the bag is 20 years old and is has not kept me warm enough, even though it does not have a lot of use on it. Before that bag I had a North Face Synthetic bag that was warm, but is no longer made.

My intended use for this bag will be for Backpack hunting in Alaska, Wyoming and Canada.

I usually sleep with a lightweight fleece beanie or balaclava on. I don’t think I sleep as warm now as I did whenI was younger. I sleep in a 3/4 zip shirt base layer and bottom and light weight socks.

My pad is Thermarest blow up, if weather is expected to be cold, then a Z Rest closed cell pad under the Thermarest and I just ordered a Mylar reflective pad to try out under the Z Rest.

I have also been using a Black Diamond light weight 10 or so oz. Bivy bag to help keep me warmer, I estimate it gives an additional 5-7F of warmth to my Integral Designs bag. The 10F Integral Designs bag rating must be a survival temperature rating, not a comfort rating.

Looking for a 0F rated bag. It can be Down, does not have to be synthetic. Weight is a factor, not too heavy, doesn’t have to be the lightest one either.

If you have a recommendation from quality companies like:

Marmot

TNF

Big Agnes

Mtn. Hardware

Wiggies

Etc.

I would also like to hear any opinions on which would be better for my intended usage
Western Mountaineering vs. Feathered Friends.

Thank you.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Feathered Friends in Seattle. Lots of good choices and they used to at least (?) custom make a bag to your specifications. Either way you can't go wrong with best quality sleeping bag out there.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a Marmot Never Summer 0 degree bag for ~15 years and now use a Western Mountaineering Antelope 5 degree bag for 90% of my camping/hunting needs. The WM bag outperforms the Marmot bag in every way. It is warmer and more comfortable, breaths better, is lighter and its construction is detailed and well thought out in ways that few other brands are. Things like velcro tabs being able to fold back and attach to themselves so they don't snag on the bag or other gear and the extra material along the zippers to prevent snagging. The WM Antelope bag has also kept me warm and comfortable in temperatures below its rating.

I also have a Western Mountaineering Bristlecone -10 degree bag that gets used once in a while but is too much of a good thing for me in all but the coldest conditions. Though it is the most comfortable being a semi rectangular bag. This experience is based on cold tent camping and I strip down to my base layer to sleep.

The WM bags are top tier bags regarding construction and down fill whereas the Marmot (and other similar brands) are mid tier bags based on my knowledge of those two factors.

I have never used a Feathered Friends sleeping bag but do have one of their down vests and a down comforter for my and my wife's bed and both are high quality products. Feathered Friends appears to have updated and revamped their product lines over the last few years do I may look at them in the future.

Additional key considerations:

Bag shape. Do you sleep comfortably in a mummy bag or does a semi rectangular suite you better? As I get older (I'm 46) overall comfort is becoming more precious to me. A Thermarest pillow is always part of my pack load out now.

Your whole system for the conditions you expect to be in. Sleeping bag, sleeping pad and tent. Do you sleep under a tarp; in a hot tent; a bivy? Cheap tent or a high quality tent?

I would also look at something like the Kifaru Slick bags (disclaimer I haven't used one but do have one ordered) which are synthetic but are surprising light and pack down fairly compact.

A final consideration. Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, Kifaru ( I'm sure there are others) are made in the USA which is important.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Although I don't have a specific recommendation for you, because I use a 20 degree quilt, I would also suggest you consider Enlightened Equipment.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would prefer a semi or even full rectangular bag, if I were staying in a cabin / base camp, but for backpacking I am better off with and sleep fine in a mummy bag, if I am warm enough.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Per David's suggestion I will look at the WM Antelope 5F bag.

In the mean time, If anyone has any experience with the below bags that I am looking at, by all means chime in.

Big Agnes Blackburn UL 0F
2 lbs. 10 oz.
$500

Marmot Lithium 0F
2 lbs. 9.5 oz
$512

TNF Green Kazoo 0F
3 lbs 6 oz.
$350

TNF Inferno 0F
2 lbs. 10 oz.
$590

Western Mountaineering Kodiak MF 0F
2 lbs. 15 ozs.
$730

and now the Antelope 5F

Feathered Friends Snowbunting EX 0F
Winner of Backpacking Magazine Editor's Choice award
2 lbs. 13 oz.
$639

F.F. Ibis EX 0F
2 lbs. 13 oz.
$669

Can any of the above be eliminated out of hand?

Anyone know of a vendor they recomend to buy the Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends from?

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone know of a vendor they recomend to buy the Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends from?

Order directly from Featherd Friends. I would call first and explain what your looking for. They are great people to work with. I'm not aware of any other place that sells them.

I've had a barrel (tapered) down bag from them for many years before I finally had to retire it which was about the time I finally gave up serious backpacking trips. Never liked a mummy bag and the weight difference is pretty small. It's also extra long since I'm 6'3". Take care of them and they last a long time.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I have used the Wiggy system for 20 years the mummy with the 32 and zero bag that you can use separately or together. can get wet and still use.
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Zero:
The search function showed a thread from 10 years ago on this, so I thought it is time to revisit it due to changes in technology and new products on the market.

I am thinking about replacing my Integral Designs 10F rated synthetic bag, since the hood does not provide full head coverage and the bag is 20 years old and is has not kept me warm enough, even though it does not have a lot of use on it. Before that bag I had a North Face Synthetic bag that was warm, but is no longer made.

My intended use for this bag will be for Backpack hunting in Alaska, Wyoming and Canada.

I usually sleep with a lightweight fleece beanie or balaclava on. I don’t think I sleep as warm now as I did whenI was younger. I sleep in a 3/4 zip shirt base layer and bottom and light weight socks.

My pad is Thermarest blow up, if weather is expected to be cold, then a Z Rest closed cell pad under the Thermarest and I just ordered a Mylar reflective pad to try out under the Z Rest.

I have also been using a Black Diamond light weight 10 or so oz. Bivy bag to help keep me warmer, I estimate it gives an additional 5-7F of warmth to my Integral Designs bag. The 10F Integral Designs bag rating must be a survival temperature rating, not a comfort rating.

Looking for a 0F rated bag. It can be Down, does not have to be synthetic. Weight is a factor, not too heavy, doesn’t have to be the lightest one either.

If you have a recommendation from quality companies like:

Marmot

TNF

Big Agnes

Mtn. Hardware

Wiggies

Etc.

I would also like to hear any opinions on which would be better for my intended usage
Western Mountaineering vs. Feathered Friends.

Thank you.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Western Mountaineering: Sequoia MF 5F $810
3 lbs. 4 oz.
I like the semi rectangular and extra room, seems like a popular bag.

Western Mountaineering: Versalite EL 10F $625
2 lbs
Also a popular bag due to its warmth to weight ratio. Perhaps I should get the overfill
which will gain another 8-10 degrees and that will put me around 0F where I would like to be.

Anyone have any thoughts on these two bags ?

Cold Zero

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
I have an old Feathered Friends 0 or -10. Flying Wide if I remember right, it has a wider middle and foot. The main thing is get one that fits your body shape. Most are skinny in the middle to save weight. Pay attention to how they are sized. I like a water resistant outter.

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidReed:
I used a Marmot Never Summer 0 degree bag for ~15 years and now use a Western Mountaineering Antelope 5 degree bag for 90% of my camping/hunting needs. The WM bag outperforms the Marmot bag in every way. It is warmer and more comfortable, breaths better, is lighter and its construction is detailed and well thought out in ways that few other brands are. Things like velcro tabs being able to fold back and attach to themselves so they don't snag on the bag or other gear and the extra material along the zippers to prevent snagging. The WM Antelope bag has also kept me warm and comfortable in temperatures below its rating.

I also have a Western Mountaineering Bristlecone -10 degree bag that gets used once in a while but is too much of a good thing for me in all but the coldest conditions. Though it is the most comfortable being a semi rectangular bag. This experience is based on cold tent camping and I strip down to my base layer to sleep.

The WM bags are top tier bags regarding construction and down fill whereas the Marmot (and other similar brands) are mid tier bags based on my knowledge of those two factors.

I have never used a Feathered Friends sleeping bag but do have one of their down vests and a down comforter for my and my wife's bed and both are high quality products. Feathered Friends appears to have updated and revamped their product lines over the last few years do I may look at them in the future.

Additional key considerations:

Bag shape. Do you sleep comfortably in a mummy bag or does a semi rectangular suite you better? As I get older (I'm 46) overall comfort is becoming more precious to me. A Thermarest pillow is always part of my pack load out now.

Your whole system for the conditions you expect to be in. Sleeping bag, sleeping pad and tent. Do you sleep under a tarp; in a hot tent; a bivy? Cheap tent or a high quality tent?

I would also look at something like the Kifaru Slick bags (disclaimer I haven't used one but do have one ordered) which are synthetic but are surprising light and pack down fairly compact.

A final consideration. Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, Kifaru ( I'm sure there are others) are made in the USA which is important.

I do not want to hijack this post but I’m interested in the bag you are recommending. What would be the highest temp (outdoors) that you could sleep comfortably, in this bag?

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have nothing to add and everything to gain by following along. I want a new bag soon too.

I will add that I've use a bivy bag a few time and find it incredibly WET and makes sleeping, for me, impossible.

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
I do not want to hijack this post but I’m interested in the bag you are recommending. What would be the highest temp (outdoors) that you could sleep comfortably, in this bag?

Jason,

That's a tough one since there's a lot of variables unique to your complete sleep system and the current conditions one might find himself in. I sleep hot and find myself out of or on top of most bags once the temperature gets above the mid 50's if I'm in a tent. As I stated above I strip down to my base layer to sleep. For a different example I have a friend that is a back-country skier that uses a 20 degree bag in below 0 temps but he sleeps in all of his clothes in his bag. He also wears out his sleeping bags in a couple of seasons...

I've been comfortable in my WM Antelope using a tarp in dry conditions to the aforementioned temperature range (50's). Though it was mostly unzipped at that point and that's one reason I don't much care for sleeping under an open tarp myself. In something like a Hilleberge Nallo I would probably be out of this bag when the temperature reaches the 50's.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Big Agnes Blackburn 0 bag. I really like it and it's kept me warm in near-zero conditions. I can't really compare to any of the others since it's the only one I have used for about the last 10 years. Packs down into a very small bag and it isn't too tight like some other ultra-light bags. I'm 6'2" 200 lbs.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidReed:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:

Jason,

That's a tough one since there's a lot of variables unique to your complete sleep system and the current conditions one might find himself in. I sleep hot and find myself out of or on top of most bags once the temperature gets above the mid 50's if I'm in a tent. As I stated above I strip down to my base layer to sleep. For a different example I have a friend that is a back-country skier that uses a 20 degree bag in below 0 temps but he sleeps in all of his clothes in his bag. He also wears out his sleeping bags in a couple of seasons...

I've been comfortable in my WM Antelope using a tarp in dry conditions to the aforementioned temperature range (50's). Though it was mostly unzipped at that point and that's one reason I don't much care for sleeping under an open tarp myself. In something like a Hilleberge Nallo I would probably be out of this bag when the temperature reaches the 50's.

Thank you. A few days back I saw this bag used on Rokslide.com for $375.00 (thanks to an AR member for recommending this site for used gear).

https://www.kuiu.com/products/...riant=40340200063134

I thought this would work great for a early fall sheep hunt in Utah (if I draw, but should). For the price and features, I think it should work.

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two Eddie Bauer bags, extra large with extra down for Nortic weather, could sleep two in his large bag and max down, and good to 60 below as I recall, edpedition quality..I slept outside between a folded tarp in it in two ft. of snow and 40 below 0...its in very good condtion, but too large for a back packer if thats what your looking for..The last one I saw sell on the internet was an asking price of $1400..Id sell mine for $1000 plus shipping (firm)..can't buy these anymore, anywhere..but at my age I don't use it anymore, could give it to the kids but may be too hot for most weather..but my grandson sure likes it in Idaho late season cow camp and high country elk spike camps..I also have a woods bag some 50 years old all are down...Perfect for pack in tented hunts
and yes any doctor will tell you as you age your capillary arteries don't open and close like they used to and that can be deadly in the back country without the best bags out there..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote