New
Find
Notify
Tools

Importance of a heel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have found that on steep terrain, particularly when there is loose stone/shale, and when I am carrying a load, a pronounced heel on my boot is very important. Once I had some Danner hunting boots with air bob soles and they were the absolute pits for hills because the heel was angled and did not grip loose stuff well when going downhill. But traditional hiking boots like those offered by Raichle with a good lug sole that has a vertical traditional heel help me stop on a dime when on the loose stuff.

Opinions?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500gr,

I would agree and also note that "hunting" boots have gone more to the running shoe technology, where the front of heel, if there is one, is angled to the rear instead of being very pronounced and angular to help with stability in certain circumstances, or under varying conditions....my Koflach Hunters and Degres both fill the bill for me and work as traditional approach boots should.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500grains,

I agree with you 100%. The heel is a "brake" when going down hill.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gave up on hunting boots years ago. In addition to a real heel, I like some torsional rigidity in the sole of my boots. For most hunting I use hiking boots made by companies like Vasque, Lowe, and most recently, Asolo, and always Gore-Tex. For steep, high, hunting like sheep, marmots, or ptarmigan, all above timberline here in CO, I use light weight mountaineering boots. The stiff soles stick to the mountain sides pretty well.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobrad:
I gave up on hunting boots years ago. In addition to a real heel, I like some torsional rigidity in the sole of my boots. For most hunting I use hiking boots made by companies like Vasque, Lowe, and most recently, Asolo, and always Gore-Tex. For steep, high, hunting like sheep, marmots, or ptarmigan, all above timberline here in CO, I use light weight mountaineering boots. The stiff soles stick to the mountain sides pretty well.

I just bought a pair of Vasque Wasatch GTX. These are NOT mountaineering boots (they're light hiking) but the soles on these (Vibram) stick to dry rock like nothing else I've had before.

Made in China Mad

BTW - Vasque sizes run narrow. Try 'em before you buy 'em!

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Guys,

I agree with all of you on this one. The heel is great for holding you on the side of the hilland the vibram sole is amongst the best.

I wear Le Sportiva Himalayas with a welted sole (for easy attachment of crampons). These are great on the tops and work well in the bush though most of the other guys I hunt with use Meindl Makalu Pros.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Definitely need a heel for rocky hill country.

But, the rub is of course, they can create more noise for flatland stalks

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Without heels they will act like skis now and then.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote