THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Attaching a Rifle to a Backpack

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attaching a Rifle to a Backpack
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any good ideas for this? I've got old syle Badlands 4500 and 2800 packs... they're not factory-rigged for rifle or bow carry.

Talked to the Badlands guys at the SHOT show and they told me to draw a pic of how I wanted to alter the pack, send the pic and the pack to them and they would do it, no charge. Part of the warranty of a Badlands pack.

I also checked the Eberlestock guys out at the show. They have some great scabbards to carry bows or rifles and some nice packs as well, but I don't need another one.

Anybody tackle this problem before?
Post some pics if you have and have solved it.

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of packs and I have at least a half dozen Kifaru Gunbearers, I prefer the "Combat" type from their tactical line. I mput these on my Mystery Ranch and Dana Design-Bozeman and Baja originals by using the Kifaru Universal Long waistbelt strap.

I use the Kifaru Universal topstrap and I also use a "Gun Corral" topstrap with an Uncle Mike's Mountain Sling. Google "Gun Corral", they are in Oregon.

Once you get these setup correctly for your packs and hunting, they work very well and will switch from pack to pack, even working on external frame packs waistbelts.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome. You are daman.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a Kifaru the last two seasons, works great. Should have started using one a long time ago.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More rifle carry methods.......

Gunslinger Corral

Rifle Carry with pack

one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
I have been using the Kifaru gunbearer for years, and have learned to always carry a spare upper strap, because when I would fall, the butt of the rifle would hit the ground driving the forearm against the strap and it would break. My one problem with going on guided hunts with the Kifaru gunbearer, is that it's an extra step when you stop to rest and then again when you get going, to reattach the rifle. Frequently, this puts the guide way out ahead of you when you finally get going. Last year sheep hunting, I started off with the Kiraru gunbearer

It broke the first time my butt hit the ground, and I improvised by putting the buttstock into the side pocket of my pack, and using a Couglan strap to affix the forearm to the shoulder strap. The rifle and pack thus came on and off as one and was MUCH more comvenient.

Only trouble is, that the rifle is NOT accessible in this location, a trade I was willing to make, until I got into the vicinity of one of these......

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input gentlemen! I think I probably could make my own with stuff from Walmart!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The big problem with what my good friend, Don, did in the Territories, is that here in BC, the dense forest cover prevents walking with a rifle in that position. The KGB allows you to "steer" your rifle through the bush and that is why I use it...and "Ursus" kinda has s bit to do with it, as well.

I will say that NO "guide" on an expensive guided hunt will EVER walk away and leave me to follow like a little lost dog. My reaction to that sort of bullshit would be loud, long and very adamant. I would also remind the outfitter that complaints made about such churlish treatment of a paying client can negatively impact on his profit margin, especially, since bookings from US hunters are down due to the US economy.

Man, stuff like that really burns my azz, the guide is working for YOU and, if he doesn't like that job, he should do something else!

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KGB??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kifaru Gun Bearer = KGB

One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted Hide Post
I love my Mystery Ranch, but have to deal with the issue Don raised. Rifle is not very accessible if I were to unwittingly run into Mr. Grizzly.

Posts: 262 | Location: Mount Pleasant, SC | Registered: 02 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Rifle Packer,once manufactured in Fbks,Ak & has now relocated to OR,I believe.

Attaches to external frame for butt in aluminum cradle w/ leather & 2 staps for butt adjustment & leather w/vercro strap for fore end.
Rifle carries vertical.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I got the KGB and used it all day today. Worked the bugs out and it's great!

One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
I love my Mystery Ranch & even asked Dana last year at the SHOT Show why they have not released a rifle sleve yet. They keep saying they have not found a system that measured up to the packs. They assured me they were working on it & had several demo models in the field for testing. Hopfully they get it figured out soon.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
sdeshazo,
That's the best news I've heard all day! Can't wait to see what Dana comes up with.
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife gets extremely upset with me because I will buy something like a new backpack, bring it home, and go to town on it with a pair a shears and a needle and thread. When I'm finished I have the perfect pack for ME. It takes some trial and error but is well worth the time!! Give it a shot.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcampbell:
My wife gets extremely upset with me because I will buy something like a new backpack, bring it home, and go to town on it with a pair a shears and a needle and thread. When I'm finished I have the perfect pack for ME. It takes some trial and error but is well worth the time!! Give it a shot.

I have to do custom work on mine also...many inside pockets, so things don't pile up on the bottom are a must.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

I have to do custom work on mine also...many inside pockets, so things don't pile up on the bottom are a must.

An internal attachment system for various size pouches (or fixed pockets) would be a great idea!

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I use fabric glue and put pockets on all 4 inside walls of my pack.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I use fabric glue and put pockets on all 4 inside walls of my pack.

I'd like to know more Ted.

Can you post some pics and tell us what products you use? I'd like to do the same.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Sure thing, just give me a couple days.

My pack is wool, made by Bison Gear.

I will post pictures of the pockets and the glue soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
Looking forward to improving my pack.