New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kifaru Spike Camp
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone own the Spike Camp? I am interested to see if anyone uses this pack with the gunbearer system.

I am interested in a day pack to use from a spike camp. The Spike camp model has lighter weight suspension system then the Late Season or Siwash. Does this lighter pack carry a gun comfortably?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peak: I don't own a Spikecamp. I do own and use a Siwash and LongHunter Guide packs. I use a handgun but carry it like the Gunbearer does a rifle, so I am sure that the GunBearer will handle your rifle duties just fine on the SpikeCamp pack.

You know your needs best but, the larger packs compress down so well that there is little need for small or second packs for day hunts. I regularly use my LH for dayhunting out of base camps all the time, and even for day hunts out of a vehicle. If you get an animal, the bigger packs will carry it out more comfortably.

The CargoChair is great for packing out game. The HandWarmer Pouch is the best way I have found to carry your binos, maps, TP and trail snacks. Everything is right up front where you can easily get at it and you don't get a neck ache from the binos ridding on a strap around your neck. The binos don't get banged around either. Just my 2 cents, Rusty.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with my buddy, Rusty, I use a LH Rendevous for most of my hunting and a Siwash for the rest. The Siwash is, IMO, about as close to perfect for 1-3 day hunts as one could wish for; it will do about 90% of big game hunting chores and is just a brilliant design.

I do prefer the LHR for Elk hunting as the suspension will handle the heavier loads better,but, the Siwash just absolutely kicks ass!

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't own the Spike Camp. Instead I have the Late Season and Longhunter. The reason I'm responding is that I think the Late Season is a little more versatile than the Spike Camp (Though it is an excellent day pack). Even on my day hunts I seem to get a little farther than I initially intend. The extra room in the Late Season lets me carry more if I need to. I always use the gun bearer and it is a real boon when you need to scramble over boulders and what not. I don't think the size of the pack really affects the functioning of the gun bearer system. It is modular in nature and can be easily removed or affixed on to other packs. Call Patrick over at Kifaru and ask him for his opinion.
Kute-I'm a fan of your postings here and over at Kifaru. I post there infrequently under the moniker of "Hog Hunter" I have several Hillenberg's but will get a para tipi or 4 man this year.

Posts: 53 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 28 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the info on the packs. My gut feeling was to go with the Late Season, but I wanted to see if anyone had the Spike.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the spikecamp but it still has the "tags" on it so cannot add to experience levels with it. Do plan to use it this fall on two five day backpack trips but I will not have to haul around tents and eating utensels. Just my hunting equipment and personal needs. I am hopeful that I can get sleeping bag/pad and perhaps spotting scope (in carrier) lashed down outside the pack.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Spikecamp is great with the gunbearer and will definitely carry a load of meat. The larger Kifaru packs have the better suspension so if you plan to carry a large load often then the Late Season, Siwash and Longhunter are preferable. I use a daystalker and have a late season in the truck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Hook:
Kutenay: Your friend Rusty here. Since you expressed an interest in trying a hammock, I thought that you and others might be interested in the following right up:

http://forms.kifaru.net/ubb/ultimatebbphp?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000700

Rusty

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If that doesn't work, go to www.kifaru.net, Message Boards, Tipis and Camping Form and look for Hennessy's 4Season Kit...Rusty.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Spikecamp with the gunbearer and have used it for about 8 years on various trips in Canada, Alaska and hunts in the Western US. It is a great pack and does a fine job of carrying the rifle in a manner that makes it quick to access and comfortable to carry. No complaints about the system at all.